British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   3 months in Brisbane. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/3-months-brisbane-325455/)

Mongrol Sep 11th 2005 10:29 pm

3 months in Brisbane.

Hi folks,

I never planned to write one of these little 3 months in posts but I have some mins before leaving for work so will give it a go.

We chose Brisbane because it was cheaper than Sydney (important to a scottish home owner) and it was substantially different enough from anywhere in the UK. Melbourne was our second choice but looked like a nice big, clean, Cambridge. If I wanted to live there I wouldn`t move 12,000 miles to do it. I also had lived in Brisbane for 3 years in the 80's and my best friends sisters moved out here 16 years ago, so we met them on our reccie trip last year.

Got here 5th June, picked up and looked after by my mates sister for a week. Within a week we had a car bought, phones, tax numbers and was in a lovely rented townhouse (www.seqrents.com.au) by the weekend. My girlfriend, being a nurse and main applicant had a job sorted in 4 weeks. She basically walked into a job at the Royal Brisbane and they actually asked where she wanted to work. I secured a 3 month contract with the company I resigned from in the UK. A mutual benefit thing where they get some stuff done quick and I get money coming in while I find work.

The last 8 weeks have been a whirlwind of activities really. We've moved to a new country and I'm making damn sure I take advantage to alter my lifestyle. We've taken up modern jive dancing once a week which is great fun. I play 5 a side soccer which I'd never done before. Since the parrots in my garden make so much bloody noise in the morning I get up at 7am and go for a run, again something I'd never even contemplate in Scotland. We've got a pretty good social circle built up already. Get invited to some party or BBQ most weekends. I'm having trouble trying to fit it all in. 3 months in and I still haven`t been surfing (been boogieboarding though). Every weekend is packed in. Camping at Stradbroke Island, exploring mountains, markets, lazing about SouthBank watching free jazz concerts. Goin out at night and going to affordable, cultural activities (gigs) within 20 mins drive.

We have had a couple of moments. Mainly when I'm at work and my girlfriend is off she feels the distance from her family but I'm hoping rational thought and at this stage keeping an eye on our mental activities can see us through. We know why we moved here and we intend to keep up "new country, new lifestyle" approach to keep ourselves busy and it does seem to work. Why move 12,000 miles and settle into the same routine you had in the UK? So what if there's nothing on telly? Don't watch it! Go and do something instead! That's my advice.

Tentively looking at the future. I've just got an IT Manager job which actually gives me a 25% pay rise over what I was on in Scotland. So we can now seriously start house hunting and when that purchase is made, that'll be the final "event" that fully realises where we are and what we have done. It still feels like we're on some sort of long holiday and I expect buying a place will really give us a slap in the face.

I don't want to be categorised as a RoseTinter[tm] but more of a realist. We've came out mentally prepared to expect anything and embrace what we see. We've encountered good things and bad things (racism and ignorance) but you can't let it get you down. In the end its all valuable and all part of your life experience.

Mong,

Kelli28 Sep 11th 2005 10:35 pm

Re: 3 months in Brisbane.

Originally Posted by Mongrol
Hi folks,

I never planned to write one of these little 3 months in posts but I have some mins before leaving for work so will give it a go.

We chose Brisbane because it was cheaper than Sydney (important to a scottish home owner) and it was substantially different enough from anywhere in the UK. Melbourne was our second choice but looked like a nice big, clean, Cambridge. If I wanted to live there I wouldn`t move 12,000 miles to do it. I also had lived in Brisbane for 3 years in the 80's and my best friends sisters moved out here 16 years ago, so we met them on our reccie trip last year.

Got here 5th June, picked up and looked after by my mates sister for a week. Within a week we had a car bought, phones, tax numbers and was in a lovely rented townhouse (www.seqrents.com.au) by the weekend. My girlfriend, being a nurse and main applicant had a job sorted in 4 weeks. She basically walked into a job at the Royal Brisbane and they actually asked where she wanted to work. I secured a 3 month contract with the company I resigned from in the UK. A mutual benefit thing where they get some stuff done quick and I get money coming in while I find work.

The last 8 weeks have been a whirlwind of activities really. We've moved to a new country and I'm making damn sure I take advantage to alter my lifestyle. We've taken up modern jive dancing once a week which is great fun. I play 5 a side soccer which I'd never done before. Since the parrots in my garden make so much bloody noise in the morning I get up at 7am and go for a run, again something I'd never even contemplate in Scotland. We've got a pretty good social circle built up already. Get invited to some party or BBQ most weekends. I'm having trouble trying to fit it all in. 3 months in and I still haven`t been surfing (been boogieboarding though). Every weekend is packed in. Camping at Stradbroke Island, exploring mountains, markets, lazing about SouthBank watching free jazz concerts. Goin out at night and going to affordable, cultural activities (gigs) within 20 mins drive.

We have had a couple of moments. Mainly when I'm at work and my girlfriend is off she feels the distance from her family but I'm hoping rational thought and at this stage keeping an eye on our mental activities can see us through. We know why we moved here and we intend to keep up "new country, new lifestyle" approach to keep ourselves busy and it does seem to work. Why move 12,000 miles and settle into the same routine you had in the UK? So what if there's nothing on telly? Don't watch it! Go and do something instead! That's my advice.

Tentively looking at the future. I've just got an IT Manager job which actually gives me a 25% pay rise over what I was on in Scotland. So we can now seriously start house hunting and when that purchase is made, that'll be the final "event" that fully realises where we are and what we have done. It still feels like we're on some sort of long holiday and I expect buying a place will really give us a slap in the face.

I don't want to be categorised as a RoseTinter[tm] but more of a realist. We've came out mentally prepared to expect anything and embrace what we see. We've encountered good things and bad things (racism and ignorance) but you can't let it get you down. In the end its all valuable and all part of your life experience.

Mong,

glad your enjoying it :)

logan Sep 11th 2005 10:35 pm

Nice to know someone else is as happy as we are!! 6 months into our new life, and we've just bought a house in Brissy, moving this week...whoo hoo!! :D

<")))>< Sep 11th 2005 10:38 pm

Hi folks,

Mong,

Great post.....good luck with the rest of it.

debbiemc Sep 11th 2005 10:45 pm

well done mong and logan,really pleased for you all, may it last a lifetime.

mong, can i ask what nurse you girlfriend is? if she's childrens, would you ask her what are the prospects of work for me please

thanks debbie

Mongrol Sep 11th 2005 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by debbiemc
well done mong and logan,really pleased for you all, may it last a lifetime.

mong, can i ask what nurse you girlfriend is? if she's childrens, would you ask her what are the prospects of work for me please

thanks debbie

She's a plain old registered nurse.

Juliecabs Sep 11th 2005 11:01 pm

Great to hear you're enjoying your new life. Long may it continue :)
Julie

Fiona&malc Sep 12th 2005 12:36 am

aww, i like reading these kind of posts :D
its great to hear people getting on and settling
when we were here around the 3 month mark, homesickness hit myself and hubby hard, but thankfully we got through it ok, we still have the odd 'moments' of homesick pangs, but thankfully they pass pretty quickly.
As another scottish expat, we certainly do more things here than we would ever have done 'back home' , i suppose the dry weather and sunshine helps :D :D

Astro Sep 12th 2005 3:54 am

Racism/ignorance? ....Strange, as Aussie's usually love the Scots & probably why you have been invited out every w/end. Try being asian or muslim, then you'll see what racism really feels like.

No telly?....Don't worry, there's nothing decent to watch in the UK either. Atleast you have an alternative. :cool:

Mrs JFW Sep 13th 2005 10:43 pm

She's a plain old registered nurse.

eh! there's nothing plain about us registered nurses ;)

I'd be interested to hear how your wife finds Royal Bris. I was told by someone they can be quite choosey when it comes to recruiting nurses. Do they have a cardiothoracic surgery unit there?

Do you mind me asking which area of Bris you are in? (sorry for being nosey) I love the idea of the free jazz gigs.....sounds like my idea of heaven!

Good luck with your house hunting too!

J

Mongrol Sep 14th 2005 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
eh! there's nothing plain about us registered nurses ;)

I'd be interested to hear how your wife finds Royal Bris. I was told by someone they can be quite choosey when it comes to recruiting nurses. Do they have a cardiothoracic surgery unit there?

No idea about cardiowhatsisthingy. It's a very big hospital and it has everything else so there's a fair chance. One thing you have to be prepared for is the differences in nursing duties. Girlie feels like she's being deskilled as they don't have many auxiliarys and normal nurses do showers, bed making etc. Bit of a waste of money really but thats Queensland Health all over. She did get a pay bump for being degree qualified though.

Do you mind me asking which area of Bris you are in? (sorry for being nosey) I love the idea of the free jazz gigs.....sounds like my idea of heaven!
The South Bank in the city is where the free jazz gigs were. You also get free gigs on in Queen Street as well on any random afternoon. There's something on in South Bank nearly every weekend from Classic car shows to gigs or free cinema films (Incredible was on this week) or canoe football in the lagoon and dodgy street performers near the market. Tis a great area and smashin for just chilling out in. It doesn't matter what suburb your in either as nearly everywhere is only a 20-30 min drive.

Mrs JFW Sep 14th 2005 8:51 am

No idea about cardiowhatsisthingy. It's a very big hospital and it has everything else so there's a fair chance. One thing you have to be prepared for is the differences in nursing duties. Girlie feels like she's being deskilled as they don't have many auxiliarys and normal nurses do showers, bed making etc. Bit of a waste of money really but thats Queensland Health all over. She did get a pay bump for being degree qualified though.

The South Bank in the city is where the free jazz gigs were. You also get free gigs on in Queen Street as well on any random afternoon. There's something on in South Bank nearly every weekend from Classic car shows to gigs or free cinema films (Incredible was on this week) or canoe football in the lagoon and dodgy street performers near the market. Tis a great area and smashin for just chilling out in. It doesn't matter what suburb your in either as nearly everywhere is only a 20-30 min drive.

thanks for the reply. Glad to hear that your wife got a pay bump for having a degree. I got mine in 2004 and I'm in final year now of my MSc, glad to hear my hard studying will be rewarded (hopefully). Not too bothered about doing showers/washes on pts as we do that in my unit anyway even though we have support workers.

I can't wait to come out. Will definately come out for holiday next year and hopefully tie it in with visa validation. I'm just at the stage of getting all the paper work together (agggh!)

Anyway loved your thread, please keep us updated with how you are getting on if you have time. Checked out your link for the rented accomodation too, looks fab!

J

manxfamily Sep 14th 2005 9:13 am

Sounds like heaven! Do I really have to wait until next year before I can go to Brissie?

Seriously, sound like you have no regrets and actually being there and commenting from experience the rose tinted glasses are well and truly off!

Good luck with everything.

Manx

funkybuddah Sep 14th 2005 11:57 pm

Hi folks,

Mong,

So nice to read such a positive post. Makes me feel like I really am making the right decision for my family and myself doing the Big move :) So pleased everything is working out for you.

aussie73 Sep 15th 2005 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Astro
Racism/ignorance? ....Strange, as Aussie's usually love the Scots & probably why you have been invited out every w/end. Try being asian or muslim, then you'll see what racism really feels like.

No telly?....Don't worry, there's nothing decent to watch in the UK either. Atleast you have an alternative. :cool:

l don't think they meant they have been the victims of racism personally, but had seen other people be the victims of racism/ ignorance.