Reload this Page >

3 Month Update in Perth

3 Month Update in Perth

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default 3 Month Update in Perth

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update as we have been in Perth for three months and havent yet shared our experiences.
We arrived here in Dec 04 and moved into an apartment overlooking the city with a pool, bbq etc and we are staying for for another 3 months. Our first month in Dec was excellent with meeting some friends, Xmas partys, BBQs but all in the sun! It all felt like one big holiday as hubby started work within a few days of landing but had quite a bit of time off over the Xmas period.
I had to work under supervision before I qualified and then I had exams before I could work here. I did my exam in 10 days rather than after 5 weeks of supervision - and yes they asked me to do it again! This period after the first exam and the next was very frustrating as I had to study quite hard in the heat( as I had to do the same exam as the Aussie graduates) Upto now we loved Perth even though I wasnt working ( not good - as I am a workoholic) and we still havent got out car ( which we shipped from Uk in Nov 04) and my husband had to take me to my unpaid supervised work for a month before he went to work in the mornings. We feel right at home and the thought of moving back to the UK has never crossed our minds and we absolutely love it here. But when I was asked to do the exam again ( even though I am qualified!) I felt for the first time that I was better off back in the UK getting paid triple of what I will be after I have gone through all this. Having read some of the whinging/boasting threads I felt I should share our experience as we have not had time to post about how happy we are here and that its been pretty difficult for us with one car which hubby takes to work everyday and the frustration of exams. But have I told you how I have passed and actually done another course and some more exams later I will be a consultant???? So overall we are still happier here ( even getting work is hard initially but once you are in here its so much easier - in my field anyway) and we have had golf lessons and play a 9 hole every week at least and even played an 18 hole ( we began in Jan!)
We have also now put an offer on a house which we are very pleased with and upto our ears in huge debt but hey ! we love it here! Things are different here & takes adjusting but the pros outweigh the cons! I love it here so much that on a recent work trip to Melbourne I stayed with a good friend from the UK who got sick of hearing about how great Perth is! I should work for the Tourist Board of WA !
So those of you on the way to Oz and Perth - it really is awesome here!! Come with an open mind and enjoy what Australia has to offer!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice
Default Re: 3 Month Update in Perth

Good on ya - we've been in Brizzie for 6 months and have absolutely no regrets!!
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 1:26 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Great post and good on yer for passing your exams...clever clogs

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Nice one, and glad to hear things are going great for you.

SS
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 6:55 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi! Good to hear from you!

So, what are you working as then?!
Congrats on the exams!

Where have you bought a house?

Me, curious as ever...!!

Simone
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 4:04 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

GGgggrrreat post. I, too, am an incurable nosey parker. What are you working as?

We hope to be there in the next four or five weeks, and I really appreciate reading updates like yours. Ta muchly.
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 5:26 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by salonit
and we still havent got out car ( which we shipped from Uk in Nov 04)
Bloody hell! which company was that with and what was their quoted time???

btw Eaglefreight have said the car to aus RORO will be £900. £100 cheaper than the other lot (and a week or so quicker at @ 40 days).
Old Mar 4th 2005, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Simone
Hi! Good to hear from you!

So, what are you working as then?!
Congrats on the exams!

Where have you bought a house?

Me, curious as ever...!!

Simone

Hi Simone,

Long time since I had time to actually write a post! And was gutted that we could make the last Kings Park meet! I am sure there will be one soon enough - looked at the Photos and looked great!

I am working as a Pharmacist at the moment and will soon become a consultant in a month or so - exicted but scared as I have to work very closely with doctors and give them advice. ( I live with 2 doctors and hmm they dont like advice hahah!) It all sounds great but financially still much better off in the UK - but hey we knew that and came here for the lifestyle.

Also we bought is South Perth - a few steps away from where we live already - after searching frantically up north in Hillarys and all the surrounding suburbs. Hubby and I both work south of the river so it was a great compromise as all friends are up North.
Hopefully will see you all soon for an Expat meet!
Salonixxxx
Old Mar 4th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stormz
Bloody hell! which company was that with and what was their quoted time???

btw Eaglefreight have said the car to aus RORO will be £900. £100 cheaper than the other lot (and a week or so quicker at @ 40 days).

We used UPAKWESHIP ( www.upakweship.com) and sent it on Nov 8 - quoted time 8 weeks - but shared container so clock starts ticking once container is full - but the excuses are endless - and we have learned to live by the day and just not wait for the car and all my belongings!! ( really tested my patience)

Excuses may be: are container did not leave in Nov, Christmas break, Tsunami and WA ( Wait Awhile!!) but they havent yet apologised or really kept in touch ( except replys to emails telling us the ship will be delayed AGAIN! )
I cant remember exactly what we paid but was about £1300 ( total cost incl ALL duties,fees here in Freo we approx - £2000.00 but that included all our stuff in the car!)
We have seen quite good reports about this company but sadly we have not had such a good one.
My advice - send very early and dont expect the car when they say!
Salonixx