Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 Month Recce or go for it?

3 Month Recce or go for it?

Old May 5th 2005, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Carla Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile 3 Month Recce or go for it?

Hi - my hubby and I have spoken about a 3 month reccy touring around a few different places to get a feel for where we would like to stay but I'm starting to think more about just biting the bullet and going for it - telling myself we are just coming out for a couple of years (doesn't sound as scary as forever!) and seeing where we like the look of once we get there.

Would appreciate your views on whether a 3 month reccy is a good idea or a bad idea or whether we should just go for it? Bearing in mind we have two girls under 3.
Old May 5th 2005, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: 3 Month Recce or go for it?

Originally Posted by Carla Elliott
Hi - my hubby and I have spoken about a 3 month reccy touring around a few different places to get a feel for where we would like to stay but I'm starting to think more about just biting the bullet and going for it - telling myself we are just coming out for a couple of years (doesn't sound as scary as forever!) and seeing where we like the look of once we get there.

Would appreciate your views on whether a 3 month reccy is a good idea or a bad idea or whether we should just go for it? Bearing in mind we have two girls under 3.

Hi Carla,

Can't tell you from experience as we have decided to bite the bullet and go without even visiting....... MAD OR WHAT???

O ur reasoning is we have 5 kids so the cost of a reccie goes a long way to a good start when we arrive, we would only be able to do a 2 week hol anyway which wouldnt tell us what it would be like to live there.

... so we decided to up sticks and kids and go have ourselves an adventure hopefully for 2 years. your kids are a good age in some respects to do what ever you decide.

good luck with whatever you decide

Chris
Old May 5th 2005, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 3 Month Recce or go for it?

Hi Carla!
It depends on you really but I personally would just "go for it!". We also have 2 kids (6 and 3 now, were 5 and 2 then) and went for it in Jan. Yes hubby did have a job arranged so that made a difference but we didn't really have the time or money to do a reccie, and I felt it would be too far to bring the kids. We kept our house back home (just in case) and thought like you that it would be a 2 year adventure if nothing else. Its more than we expected (we are in Melbourne) so can see ourselves staying and will prob sell up next year so we can buy over here.
Good luck!
Pootle
Old May 5th 2005, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

I THINK YOU SHOULD GO FOR IT.
ALL THE BEST WITH WHAT YOU DECIDE.
CAROLE
Old May 5th 2005, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Carla Elliott is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: 3 Month Recce or go for it?

Originally Posted by Chris Mitchell
Hi Carla,

Can't tell you from experience as we have decided to bite the bullet and go without even visiting....... MAD OR WHAT???

O ur reasoning is we have 5 kids so the cost of a reccie goes a long way to a good start when we arrive, we would only be able to do a 2 week hol anyway which wouldnt tell us what it would be like to live there.

... so we decided to up sticks and kids and go have ourselves an adventure hopefully for 2 years. your kids are a good age in some respects to do what ever you decide.

good luck with whatever you decide

Chris
You are sooo brave! Good for you - I hope it works out for you - thanks for the advice.
Old May 5th 2005, 10:17 pm
ABCDiamond

Go for a two year reccy