Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 days to spare in Queensland

3 days to spare in Queensland

Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default 3 days to spare in Queensland

Where should we go?

We've been to Sydney several times and briefly Melbourne. Now we fancy a short brea in Queensland. Due to our work commitments we can only get 3 days, but have no idea where would suit us most.

We love the beach but not all day. I love the greenery and forest type places. Also love the cafe scene and good restaurants with a bit of nightlife but not really nightclubby stuff.... would also like a real nice hotel with pool and pampering services like massage sauna etc.

Any ideas?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 days to spare in Queensland

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Where should we go?

We've been to Sydney several times and briefly Melbourne. Now we fancy a short brea in Queensland. Due to our work commitments we can only get 3 days, but have no idea where would suit us most.

We love the beach but not all day. I love the greenery and forest type places. Also love the cafe scene and good restaurants with a bit of nightlife but not really nightclubby stuff.... would also like a real nice hotel with pool and pampering services like massage sauna etc.

Any ideas?
Port Douglas or Airlie Beach come to mind.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Where should we go?

Any ideas?
Can you babysit?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:07 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Where should we go?

Any ideas?
Port Douglas is nice - especially this time of year. It has the rainforest - the Kuranda skyrail over the rainforest and the train back is a nice day out. There are supposed to be some nice restaraunts out in the rainforest (we never saw them becaue we were up there with kids). All the main hotels seem to offer pools, spa treatments etc. I would certainly reckon that would be a good break.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Port Douglas or Airlie Beach come to mind.
Yeah, Whitsundays would be ideal for 3 nights. Airlie Beach is a bit of a neon backpackers hotspot (well the main street is) but there are loads of nice hotels and apartments if you stay away from the main street. Lots of bars tho, great scenery - catch a water taxi to one of the islands - e.g. South Molle has lots of nice walking tracks and you can get great veiws over the islands and Whitsunday passage, Whitsunday Beach is nice, Hill inlet is spectacular, take a boat cruise, snorkelling, flight over GBR....loads to do and so beautiful
Attached Thumbnails 3 days to spare in Queensland-hillinlet.jpg  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Can you babysit?

Everyones loves a tryer eh? no chance!! After leaving 4 grandchildren in UK (after many babysitting sessions) and helping out a couple of mums in Adelaide this is gonna be MY spoilt weekend!!

Thanx for all your ideas everyone.. i guess i better go get some brochures now
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Yeah, Whitsundays would be ideal for 3 nights. Airlie Beach is a bit of a neon backpackers hotspot (well the main street is) but there are loads of nice hotels and apartments if you stay away from the main street. Lots of bars tho, great scenery - catch a water taxi to one of the islands - e.g. South Molle has lots of nice walking tracks and you can get great veiws over the islands and Whitsunday passage, Whitsunday Beach is nice, Hill inlet is spectacular, take a boat cruise, snorkelling, flight over GBR....loads to do and so beautiful
Peppers Palm Bay on Long Island in The Whitsundays is about as relaxed as you can get, absolute heaven................ and then some!!!!!!!!!!!

Tangalooma has been talked about before (on other threads)it will give you the opportunity to see Brisneyland and still catch a good beach and see the Dolphins, plus in a couple of months the migrating Whales.

www.wotif.com.au
Old Apr 25th 2005, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Everyones loves a tryer eh? no chance!! After leaving 4 grandchildren in UK (after many babysitting sessions) and helping out a couple of mums in Adelaide this is gonna be MY spoilt weekend!!

Thanx for all your ideas everyone.. i guess i better go get some brochures now
Fair play If I had 3 days to spare I'd head for Fraser Island ... like my mates who are off there next week
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

My 3 choices have been mentioned
  • Port Douglas (you could easily spend 2 weeks there, but 3 days is better than nothing )
  • Whitsundays (try South Molle Island, they often have very good standby rates)
  • Fraser Island (you'll have to stay at the resort, Kingfisher Bay)
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
My 3 choices have been mentioned
  • Port Douglas (you could easily spend 2 weeks there, but 3 days is better than nothing )
  • Whitsundays (try South Molle Island, they often have very good standby rates)
  • Fraser Island (you'll have to stay at the resort, Kingfisher Bay)

Thanx Mrs D

We've decided when we've both lost another 5kg we deserve a treat... whats the weather likely to be like in 2mths time? Will it still be warm enough to swim in the pool?
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx Mrs D

We've decided when we've both lost another 5kg we deserve a treat... whats the weather likely to be like in 2mths time? Will it still be warm enough to swim in the pool?
2 months time will be ummmm around June? Port Douglas will be fab, Whitsundays, I wouldnt swim but then someone from southern states might, Fraser Island & Brissy area, not a hope!! :scared:
Old Apr 25th 2005, 12:23 pm
sula

Where should we go?

Any ideas?
Hi PP,
My favourite places are:

Wychwood Forest Escape:
http://www.bigvolcano.com.au/custom/wychwood/index.html

or

Kingfisher Bay Resort - Fraser Island
http://www.kingfisherbay.com/indexthree.html

Hope you have a fab time!

Sula

Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:45 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Did anyone else have trouble with the fire alarms going off in Fraser Island kingfisher Bay resort every time it rained heavily!!!??? We were all evacuated out of our rooms TWICE in PJ's!!!!!!! It was really funny but very scary the 1st time it happened as a message is piped through your room asking you to evacuate - we thought there was a bush fire or something!!!

Sorry completely of track with the purpose of this thread but you just reminded me of Fraser Island!!!!!!

Nice place BTW when the sun shines!

Lynn