Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

3 1/2 wks in Victoria so far so good

3 1/2 wks in Victoria so far so good

Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:21 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default 3 1/2 wks in Victoria so far so good

Hi all

We have been here for 3 1/2 weeks and it has flown by. We are currently staying with friends in Rosebud on the Mornington Pennisula.

So far we have bought a car Saab EMS 2.1 91 $7000. Car insurance we found the cheapest with HSBC my husband had full no claims discount from the uk which all companies were willing to take on. What I noticed while phoning round you get a quote like in the UK but this is not the final figure when they go through the underwriting some asked questions like have you had an aussie license 10yrs/5yrs? We had to answer No and suddenly the premiums doubled.

The HSBC did not ask that question the figure quoted was the final price and they do not charge any extra for paying monthly.

We paid extra to get one windscreen replacement for no excess as nearly all our friends have cracked windscreens.

We have been into Melbourne a few times visited the Zoo and a theatre restaurant called Draculas you get to eat a 3 course meal and watch a show at the same time. We really enjoyed it.

Went to St Kilda market a couple of sundays ago and strolled around the shops. Plenty of english accents about there.

We have applied for loads of jobs. I had an interview last tuesday still don't know how I got on. They said they'd let me know wed but still no news. I know they have been for ref in the UK. It is an hr drive from where we are living so its not the end of the world if I don't get it. At least I have got some interview experience.

We have the chance of renting a holiday home 3 bed fully furnished for $70 a wk plus bills which we are going to take up the beginning of April. It will be nice to have our own space again. It is right near the beach in Rye.

We are currently visiting friends in NSW nr Woolengong and drove here from Victoria. It was a 2 day drive and we stopped over night in Mallacoota which is lovely. We sat on the beach at sunset and drank a bottle of cider. Pure heaven.

Tomorrow we are going into the Blue mountains with friends for a couple of nights which should be fun.

We have not yet been to an Aussie rules game but it won't be long as all our friends in Victoria are passionate about it and hound us to pick a side to follow. To be honest I have no interest I didn't follow soccer back home. Give me cricket any day just got to decide who to support England, Australia or Sri Lanka (hubby is sri lankan!!!)

Anyway so far I am enjoying it I have days where not having a job gets to me but it is early days. We have registered with agencys and did go to centrelink but the jobs on offer are not what we are looking for (unskilled) so did not sign up.

Jo
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:25 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Vic. I seem to be doing a lot of these recently
We have been down to Rye for a few days its lovely, what sort of jobs can you get down there?
Good luck with it all.
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:37 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by hevs
We have been down to Rye for a few days its lovely, what sort of jobs can you get down there?
Good luck with it all.

We are looking to commute to nearer the city. It is only temp accommodation in Rye till we have some money coming in then we will look at renting nearer to the job. We looked at Clayton or areas around there as it will only be a 25mins train journey into Flinders St. But we would be daft to move there now without an income so hence why we are in Rye. We do love it down on the penninsula and ideally would like to stay there but depends on the job front. May look at somewhere like Cranbourne again near to the penninsula where our friends are and on a direct train route into the city.

Too many options but job location will make the final decision.

By the way we are looking for jobs as Administration Assistant/Customer Service/Office Manager for me and hubby is Civil Engineer (railway structures)

Jo
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:37 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 1/2 wks in Victoria so far so good

husband had full no claims discount from the uk which all companies were willing to take on.

hi joh
how did u manage to get the info about car ins to the hsbc. did u take a letter with you???
soapy
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:38 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Good luck with it all.
It is your magnetic personality drawing everyone to Vic.

Either that or the buggers are after your wood
Old Mar 12th 2004, 10:53 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix
It is your magnetic personality drawing everyone to Vic.

Either that or the buggers are after your wood
LOL hands off bix, its mine, all mine (evil cackle, witchy style!!)
We live not to far from cranbourne, its nice over here isn't it?
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:01 pm
Pass The Post

Originally posted by soapy
husband had full no claims discount from the uk which all companies were willing to take on.

hi joh
how did u manage to get the info about car ins to the hsbc. did u take a letter with you???
soapy
hi Soapy

We got proof from the UK before we left then all we had to do was fax a copy through to HSBC.

I forgot to get proof of mine so I am going to ring the company next week to see if they can post something out to me

Jo
Old Mar 12th 2004, 11:03 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by joh117
hi Soapy

We got proof from the UK before we left then all we had to do was fax a copy through to HSBC.

I forgot to get proof of mine so I am going to ring the company next week to see if they can post something out to me

Jo
thanx jo
i'll get onto mine on monday. im glad i read your post now.

soapy
Old Mar 30th 2004, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by joh117
We are looking to commute to nearer the city. It is only temp accommodation in Rye till we have some money coming in then we will look at renting nearer to the job. We looked at Clayton or areas around there as it will only be a 25mins train journey into Flinders St. But we would be daft to move there now without an income so hence why we are in Rye. We do love it down on the penninsula and ideally would like to stay there but depends on the job front. May look at somewhere like Cranbourne again near to the penninsula where our friends are and on a direct train route into the city.

Too many options but job location will make the final decision.

By the way we are looking for jobs as Administration Assistant/Customer Service/Office Manager for me and hubby is Civil Engineer (railway structures)

Jo

Hiya - have sent you a PM.