Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2nd hand furniture in Perth

2nd hand furniture in Perth

Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:25 am
  #1  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default 2nd hand furniture in Perth

As we will most likely be ending up in an unfurnished rental on arrival in Perth, coupled with the fact we are arriving with just the shirts on our backs and not a lot of wonga........

Does anyone know what the availability and cost is like for 2nd hand furniture in Perth - just to get us started without having to fork out an arm and a leg?
ROBnCAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:34 am
  #2  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 728
Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Try Ebay. Heaps of bargains on there.
Linda Lushardi is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:43 am
  #3  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Try Ebay. Heaps of bargains on there.
errrrr, thanks for that Linda!

Am actually looking for local information, hence my post......quite familiar with ebay thanks all the same!
ROBnCAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:43 am
  #4  
sel
~~~
 
sel's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,849
sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
As we will most likely be ending up in an unfurnished rental on arrival in Perth, coupled with the fact we are arriving with just the shirts on our backs and not a lot of wonga........

Does anyone know what the availability and cost is like for 2nd hand furniture in Perth - just to get us started without having to fork out an arm and a leg?
I have been told that Perth peeps love to have garage sales and you can pick up some really good bargains.
sel is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:46 am
  #5  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by sel
I have been told that Perth peeps love to have garage sales and you can pick up some really good bargains.
Thanx SEL, thats the kind of info we are looking for!

Anyone know if there is a publication like the Friday Ads or Freeads, in Perth?
ROBnCAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:47 am
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 728
Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
errrrr, thanks for that Linda!

Am actually looking for local information, hence my post......quite familiar with ebay thanks all the same!

Yeah.. thats what i meant. ebay does function in Perth too!!

Sorry i bothered now ... did you get out of bed the worng side this morning?
Linda Lushardi is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:13 pm
  #7  
Dutch expat/Aus citizen
 
Simone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: South East, Perth (was Holland)
Posts: 5,789
Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Garage sales: saturday ones in West Australian
Sunday ones in Sunday Times (heaps)
Also garage sales and stuff in The Quokka Paper version out thursdays I think, and http://www.quokka.com.au/

Then there's the Salvation Army, Good Sammy's etc.
Mostly clothes but some of the bigger ones have furniture out the back too
I recommend Good Sammy's and the Salvo's (next to each other) on Selby st in Osborne Park (Innaloo side)(a rd of Scarborough beach rd)
I got a little desk with 7 drawers for 5 (yes, five) dollars, reduced from $10. It was painted white, with a bit of scratches and stuff. We spent a whole day sanding it, and put some plastic stuff in the drawers and on top, now it looks like this(see attachment) (I've put all my makeup etc in it, and will get a little stool, and put a mirror on the wall) Was very lucky with that though, most of the stuff is really ugly, and you can't even make it better with sanding or painting! And most stuff is more expensive than that $5.
Still, it's worth keeping an eye on if you happen to come past one.

Also, check out the bargain corner at Ikea(osborne Park). Still sometimes expensive, but sometimes you can find something that isn't even damaged!

Then there's of course secondhand shops. Still, I still find them quite pricey, cos often there's already collectables or antiques.

Don't actually have to much experience buying secondhand furniture, we shipped nearly everything(and would do it again, and again, and again), so can't really help with prices.
And anyway, what's cheap for one, might be expensive for another (that $5 thing though, I would've paid 20 for it too. And maybe someone else would have been willing to pay 50 for it.

Here, check these out
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...erth&stateId=3

Hmmm, that first one: to expensive for me! (and looks like it's nearly only cupboard thingys!) But I guess it is quality...

I think the further out into the burbs you go, the cheaper you might find. Armadale might be good.

Though, I have another theory which contradicts that : in those 'cheaper' suburbs, the cheaper furniture goes quicker. While in Osborne Park, which is surrounded by expensive suburbs, it'll stay in the shop longer...(though you might have a few more students buying stuff in the inner suburbs)


hmmmm, enough blabbing for one night

Garage sales is definetly one of your best bets. You'll need a ute or a trailer though, people usually won't deliver.
Attached Thumbnails 2nd hand furniture in Perth-2005_12_30_1.jpg  
Simone is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:18 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by Simone
Garage sales: saturday ones in West Australian
Sunday ones in Sunday Times (heaps)
Also garage sales and stuff in The Quokka Paper version out thursdays I think, and http://www.quokka.com.au/

Then there's the Salvation Army, Good Sammy's etc.
Mostly clothes but some of the bigger ones have furniture out the back too
I recommend Good Sammy's and the Salvo's (next to each other) on Selby st in Osborne Park (Innaloo side)(a rd of Scarborough beach rd)
I got a little desk with 7 drawers for 5 (yes, five) dollars, reduced from $10. It was painted white, with a bit of scratches and stuff. We spent a whole day sanding it, and put some plastic stuff in the drawers and on top, now it looks like this(see attachment) (I've put all my makeup etc in it, and will get a little stool, and put a mirror on the wall) Was very lucky with that though, most of the stuff is really ugly, and you can't even make it better with sanding or painting! And most stuff is more expensive than that $5.
Still, it's worth keeping an eye on if you happen to come past one.

Also, check out the bargain corner at Ikea(osborne Park). Still sometimes expensive, but sometimes you can find something that isn't even damaged!

Then there's of course secondhand shops. Still, I still find them quite pricey, cos often there's already collectables or antiques.

Don't actually have to much experience buying secondhand furniture, we shipped nearly everything(and would do it again, and again, and again), so can't really help with prices.
And anyway, what's cheap for one, might be expensive for another (that $5 thing though, I would've paid 20 for it too. And maybe someone else would have been willing to pay 50 for it.

Here, check these out
http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search...erth&stateId=3

Hmmm, that first one: to expensive for me! (and looks like it's nearly only cupboard thingys!) But I guess it is quality...

I think the further out into the burbs you go, the cheaper you might find. Armadale might be good.

Though, I have another theory which contradicts that : in those 'cheaper' suburbs, the cheaper furniture goes quicker. While in Osborne Park, which is surrounded by expensive suburbs, it'll stay in the shop longer...(though you might have a few more students buying stuff in the inner suburbs)


hmmmm, enough blabbing for one night

Garage sales is definetly one of your best bets. You'll need a ute or a trailer though, people usually won't deliver.

Simone, thanks a million for taking the trouble to type that out. Will be of enormous value when we arrive, gonna print it out for 'the file' now
Sending you Karma if it will let me
Thanks again.....
ROBnCAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:55 pm
  #9  
Rocket Scientist
 
MrsDagboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
Posts: 6,911
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
Yeah.. thats what i meant. ebay does function in Perth too!!

Sorry i bothered now ... did you get out of bed the worng side this morning?
No, he's spat the dummy & throwing a hissy fit cos everyone isn't falling over themselves to vote him most fanciable male .
MrsDagboy is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:57 pm
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
Larissa's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Near Duloc
Posts: 4,638
Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Any idea where you are headed? (e.g. NOR/SOR) Would help to narrow it down a bit.
Larissa is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:01 pm
  #11  
 
Siren & Brian's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Hillarys, Perth
Posts: 3,973
Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Also depends on what you think an arm and a leg is. Like how much you want to pay for a fridge, lounge, dining table, beds etc cos this could help in pointing in the right direction.

But I think Simone has really got it covered with most of the second hand shops etc.
Siren & Brian is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:09 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Perth WA
Posts: 130
KBREMBO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
As we will most likely be ending up in an unfurnished rental on arrival in Perth, coupled with the fact we are arriving with just the shirts on our backs and not a lot of wonga........

Does anyone know what the availability and cost is like for 2nd hand furniture in Perth - just to get us started without having to fork out an arm and a leg?

When do you move to Perth?

Cheers

KB
KBREMBO is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:22 pm
  #13  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 728
Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No, he's spat the dummy & throwing a hissy fit cos everyone isn't falling over themselves to vote him most fanciable male .

Linda Lushardi is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:54 pm
  #14  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
No, he's spat the dummy & throwing a hissy fit cos everyone isn't falling over themselves to vote him most fanciable male .
Am I?

That was said very tongue in cheek Mrs D!!

Linda, with regards to your suggestion of eBay...the point I was trying to make was that I don't think there's a person on this forum that isn't aware of it! Just seemed a rather silly response to my question...you will notice that I did say, 'thanks all the same'!

So, looks like yet 'another' of the threads I have started is going to turn into a 'have a go at me' session..........all because I have the backbone to speak my mind - well pardon me!
ROBnCAZ is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 1:55 pm
  #15  
Account Closed
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: 2nd hand furniture in Perth

Originally Posted by KBREMBO
When do you move to Perth?

Cheers

KB
July 06
ROBnCAZ is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.