Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2nd Christmas in Oz

Wikiposts

2nd Christmas in Oz

Old Nov 24th 2005, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice
Default Re: 2nd Christmas in Oz

Originally Posted by macy
Been a reader for a long time but thought I would become a poster for a change, for everybody to read and make their own minds up, our thoughts, and experiences in Oz.

First few weeks:-

Spent the first 6 weeks looking at houses at Redcliffe upon arrival and hubbie spent the time going for interviews, it is a stressful experience going everywhere with young boys who were sick to death and bored at looking at houses all the time, buying cars, sorting out banks and generally finding our way around with them moaning, but couldn't blame them as we hated it too.

Hubbie was offered every job he went for but the money he gets over here is rubbish compared to the UK but we knew that so can't complain.

Gave up on Redcliffe area for a couple of reasons; the travel into brisbane where hubbie was going to be based and the family we do have out here too far away, we also had no luck in getting a rental property and was sick to death of looking, applying and still getting rejected.

Now living 4km out of the city in Wilston and LOVE IT, the school is great and everything is so near, we love going to the beach and everything that has to offer but like to visit and then come away, we love the city life and being able to jump on a train into the city and tons for the boys to do when they get older.

THINGS WE HATE ABOUT AUSTRALIA

Banks - no explanation needed
Forms - Ozzies love a form for everything
Customer Service in Shops - there isn't any
Queues - Ozzies love a queue more than the british
Supermarkets - obviously! but you do get used to them after a while
FOOD - ITS SO EXPENSIVE

THINGS WE LOVE

The people are so friendly, the country itself is amazing and so much to see and do, the weather is so dramatic which is great. The lifestyle for the kids is great and I envy them their wonderful childhood growing up in this wonderful country. The children in the area we live in are very respectful and no gangs hanging around street corners, they are all off doing far more interesting things.

THINGS WE MISS

Friends and family and thats about it, everything else you get used to doing without but the tug of missing people is something that takes a long time to get used to and good friends are hard to replace.

THINGS THAT MAKE ME SAD

Watching mums shopping with their daughters and envying them.
Seeing large families together and having a great time.
Hearing Xmas songs in shopping centres and remembering good times in a lovely english pub with great friends.
Marks & Spencers food hall at Xmas time deciding what to get with my Nan.
Speak to friends and family during times of crisis and really not being able to do anything.

IN SUMMARY

We have never been so hard up, the money drop was huge for us, if we had our time again would we do it ?? Yes for the lifestyle and opportunties it brings for the children but NO if we were single couple with no children, we would have stayed for a year or two and gone back home to the UK

Now thats not to say that we don't love it here and we don't think we will ever go back to the UK, but the tug of the family and friends is so huge and you don't realise how bad it will be until its there. We have made some friends but at the moment its not the same, family is good to have and cannot be replaced even if sometimes they drive you mad its still nice to be able to produce a grandparent on grandparent day at school!

Wish we had travelled more in Europe, we travelled a bit but have no idea why we didn't do more of it!!!!

I don't know if this is of interest to anybody and its such an individual decision to make when emigrating, I am so glad we did come out here and its something we would have regretted doing if we didn't, you can be lonely in Paradise and we are lucky that we are making good friends, but a huge house, nice car does not bring real happiness, friends and family do that and seeing my parents arriving this Xmas is all the presents I am going to ever want or need.
Great post Macy. We are going through that worried stage esp. about missing family. We think we would be mad not to do it but are concerned about how homesick we will feel and it is great to read others experiences. Thanks again.

Sun
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tabby
We go 2 days later than u - new year, new country, new start, new life - it's the only way to look at it..... Best of luck to you and Happy New Year - to all!! :scared:
Good luck to you too....I will be up the road in the Sunshine Coast
HAPPY NEW LIFE TO ONE AND ALL
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Originally Posted by desperate2go
Good luck to you too....I will be up the road in the Sunshine Coast
HAPPY NEW LIFE TO ONE AND ALL
You never know, may see you there one day Desperate!!
Old Nov 24th 2005, 11:11 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macy
Been a reader for a long time but thought I would become a poster for a change, for everybody to read and make their own minds up, our thoughts, and experiences in Oz.

First few weeks:-

Spent the first 6 weeks looking at houses at Redcliffe upon arrival and hubbie spent the time going for interviews, it is a stressful experience going everywhere with young boys who were sick to death and bored at looking at houses all the time, buying cars, sorting out banks and generally finding our way around with them moaning, but couldn't blame them as we hated it too.

Hubbie was offered every job he went for but the money he gets over here is rubbish compared to the UK but we knew that so can't complain.

Gave up on Redcliffe area for a couple of reasons; the travel into brisbane where hubbie was going to be based and the family we do have out here too far away, we also had no luck in getting a rental property and was sick to death of looking, applying and still getting rejected.

Now living 4km out of the city in Wilston and LOVE IT, the school is great and everything is so near, we love going to the beach and everything that has to offer but like to visit and then come away, we love the city life and being able to jump on a train into the city and tons for the boys to do when they get older.

THINGS WE HATE ABOUT AUSTRALIA

Banks - no explanation needed
Forms - Ozzies love a form for everything
Customer Service in Shops - there isn't any
Queues - Ozzies love a queue more than the british
Supermarkets - obviously! but you do get used to them after a while
FOOD - ITS SO EXPENSIVE

THINGS WE LOVE

The people are so friendly, the country itself is amazing and so much to see and do, the weather is so dramatic which is great. The lifestyle for the kids is great and I envy them their wonderful childhood growing up in this wonderful country. The children in the area we live in are very respectful and no gangs hanging around street corners, they are all off doing far more interesting things.

THINGS WE MISS

Friends and family and thats about it, everything else you get used to doing without but the tug of missing people is something that takes a long time to get used to and good friends are hard to replace.

THINGS THAT MAKE ME SAD

Watching mums shopping with their daughters and envying them.
Seeing large families together and having a great time.
Hearing Xmas songs in shopping centres and remembering good times in a lovely english pub with great friends.
Marks & Spencers food hall at Xmas time deciding what to get with my Nan.
Speak to friends and family during times of crisis and really not being able to do anything.

IN SUMMARY

We have never been so hard up, the money drop was huge for us, if we had our time again would we do it ?? Yes for the lifestyle and opportunties it brings for the children but NO if we were single couple with no children, we would have stayed for a year or two and gone back home to the UK

Now thats not to say that we don't love it here and we don't think we will ever go back to the UK, but the tug of the family and friends is so huge and you don't realise how bad it will be until its there. We have made some friends but at the moment its not the same, family is good to have and cannot be replaced even if sometimes they drive you mad its still nice to be able to produce a grandparent on grandparent day at school!

Wish we had travelled more in Europe, we travelled a bit but have no idea why we didn't do more of it!!!!

I don't know if this is of interest to anybody and its such an individual decision to make when emigrating, I am so glad we did come out here and its something we would have regretted doing if we didn't, you can be lonely in Paradise and we are lucky that we are making good friends, but a huge house, nice car does not bring real happiness, friends and family do that and seeing my parents arriving this Xmas is all the presents I am going to ever want or need.

Top post...will be printing it off to show hubby.

I am so scared about it all, one minute i want it all, the next i dont. Were you like this before you went to Oz.

I wish you a happier Christmas with your family and i hope you get the present you wish for xx
Old Nov 27th 2005, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Issie
Top post...will be printing it off to show hubby.

I am so scared about it all, one minute i want it all, the next i dont. Were you like this before you went to Oz.

I wish you a happier Christmas with your family and i hope you get the present you wish for xx

Waiting to exhale -

I remember when those plane wheels lifted off of the ground when we left Heathrow on a cold October afternoon, I hate flying and was feeling sick with nerves anyway but when those wheels lifted off I did a huge sigh, i knew that we were off on our adventure, the stress, tears and worry was left behind and we were onto something new, you to will feel like that when you leave all those emotions behind and you to will EXHALE!!!! Give it a go, if you don't like it you can ALWAYS go back, but for goodness sake give it chance you never know what you are capable of doing till you do it. Nerves are normal, getting what you want and then not knowing if you want it is normal. Good Luck.