Wikiposts

The 2c thing

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:41 pm
WBB

Default Re: The joy of Roundings

Originally posted by Pookin
Never thought of it that way.

So if its $30.01 or .02 - we get charged $30.00 and if its $30.03 or .04 then we get charged $30.05.

Wonder how much the stores make on this.

2c x 100,000 people x 365 days = $730,000.

i thought they had to round it down rather than up, mm said it is illegal to round up?

Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:41 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

But they don't round on electronic EFTPOS/Switch transactions do they?

You people shouldn't be using cash anymore anyway.... cash is yesterday's technology don't you know?
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
i thought they had to round it down rather than up, mm said it is illegal to round up?
Not true, if its an 8 or a 9 its rounded up, if its a 6 or a 7 its rounded down.

I dont think MM has paid cash for anything in any of the stores for a long time
Old Nov 2nd 2003, 11:58 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jandjuk
But they don't round on electronic EFTPOS/Switch transactions do they?

You people shouldn't be using cash anymore anyway.... cash is yesterday's technology don't you know?
No its for cash only....

And the reason we used to use cash was we were only allowed 5 transactions a month before the bank charged us.

Luckily....this time we have a better account.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:11 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
And then one day you take it to the bank and its worth mroe than you thought!! I took my collection of 5, 10 and 20ps from about 3 years of emptying change out of my pocket into one of those huge whisky bottles (which i got free from a pub i might add i did'nt drink it all!), to the bank in preparation for my move. Would you believe there was 52 pound in there!!!
Will have to get shot of our coin collection soon too but I can't be bothered to count it all. It's almost a full bottle so could be a fair few quid in there! At the moment it's just weighing down the boot of the car....
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:19 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Not true, if its an 8 or a 9 its rounded up, if its a 6 or a 7 its rounded down.

I dont think MM has paid cash for anything in any of the stores for a long time
Just worked out what MM was saying ... yes, its illegal to round it up if you pay by card.
But not if you pay cash.
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:25 am
WBB

i guess you never heard of the penny (cent) chew there then?

an institution here when you are a kid.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:33 am
Badge

So if its $30.01 or .02 - we get charged $30.00 and if its $30.03 or .04 then we get charged $30.05.

Of course, the other side, is that the times when someone's basket is $30.00 when it was priced at $30.02 means the shop loses the same!!!

I guess it all balances out in the end.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:34 am
Badge

WBB,

I remember the half-penny chew.

Badge

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:35 am
WBB

cant really think of too many shops that serve 100,000 people a day either, mind you the queue in our local asda'a would have you believe otherwise.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 3:37 am
WBB

Originally posted by badgersmount
WBB,

I remember the half-penny chew.

Badge

lol, me too.
used to be given 5p to buy sweets at the shop and you could take 10 minutes choosing your penny/half penny chews.

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:56 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Just worked out what MM was saying ... yes, its illegal to round it up if you pay by card.
But not if you pay cash.
Sorry did,nt realise i was so vague, when your fuel bill in a year[diesel]comes to $28,000 you ,soon make sure you check every penny....... MM
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 5:57 am
WBB

Originally posted by mr mover
Sorry did,nt realise i was so vague, when your fuel bill in a year[diesel]comes to $28,000 you ,soon make sure you check every penny....... MM

or cent

Old Nov 3rd 2003, 8:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by mr mover
Sorry MM, I think it was me not being with the program, rather than you .

Understand about the fuel bill too

WBB LOL
Old Nov 3rd 2003, 12:38 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 2c thing

Originally posted by badgersmount

I read somewhere where people buy certain items seperately to get a big 'save'.

Do the shops end up statistically profitting from this, or is it win some, lose some amd therefore breaking even.

Badge

You don't get rounding on individual items within a list but on the total at the end. So if you bought 99 things priced at $1.02, your bill is $100.98 and rounded to $101, rather than 99*$1 or $99. Presumably you could put the 99 items through individually and make the saving however (if you had a lot of time on your hands)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.