Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

27/30 yr olds in Perth - any suggestions?

Wikiposts

27/30 yr olds in Perth - any suggestions?

Old Jan 8th 2005, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default 27/30 yr olds in Perth - any suggestions?

Hi everyone,

Now I know there are a million and one posts on Perth, but a lot of them are about the best areas to live if you are in a family with young kids.

Well, if my partner and I decide to move to Perth it will be just the two of us. I am 30, and my partner is 27. We would like to live near other young couples who we could hook up with. We like the idea of renting a nice house. If it's near the beach then that would be a bonus. We think it would be easier to meet people if we lived near to people of a similar age. We would then move to family areas when we decide to settle down ourselves.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Would Scarborough, Cottesloe and Hillarys fit the bill?

Thanks for your help.

SS and parter
Old Jan 8th 2005, 7:23 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 27/30 yr olds in Perth - any suggestions?

Hi SS,

My partner & I are in a similar situation (27/26). We're looking at moving to the Cottesloe/Fremantle area. I've lived in Cottesloe before, so that's one of our main reasons for looking at it, along with the fact it's got a nice beach & is within easy access of Fremantle & Perth. It also has a fairly "young" population.

Personally, my favourite place to go out & spend time in is Fremantle. It has a young, vibrant feel to it, and has everything you could want, amenity-wise. It also retains it's atmosphere in the winter (unlike Cottesloe, which becomes fairly dead over winter).

I never spent much time in Scarborough (other than a few nights at the Stamford Arms!)... my impression is that it's population is fairly young (maybe partly due to the fact it has decent surfing?).

Don't know anything about Hillary's, other than it is quite a ways out from the city & is popular with Brits.

Subiaco might also be worth considering - I know it's quite popular with Uni students, and has a few places to go out to.

The best advise I can give is come to Perth and maybe check out each area as best you can, also do research on specific things that might be important to you (i.e. you can look up restaurants, nightclubs, transport links, etc).

Best of luck!

-Sara.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 9:01 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hear hear to what saralitz said generally.

We(22/26) live in Mount Hawthorn. Quite happy with it, nice and central. Good neat suburb. Not that many young people, but we don't care, it has a few good pubs though(not that we really ever often go to them)
Reasons for living here and not other places:
My friend lives in Leederville, so we were looking in this area. We're not beach people, so don't need that, and it's usually more expensive anyway.
Subiaco and Fremantle and Leederville are too expensive(we might now be able to afford it, but it wouldn't be worth it for us, we don't go out much anyway. And where we are now, we do have the choice if we want to.
Where we are now is also close to a trainstation(Glendalough, 15 min walk) and nearly next to the freeway.
I love Fremantle, but as I said, a bit to expensive, and my friend lives up here, and we're more central now.

If we end up staying here, in a few years when we have kids, I'd like to live in the hills. Or really down south, but that's not possible considering Pascal's job. Though you never know.... And maybe I'll get attached to city life and want to stay here(though I can't imagine it when I have kids and dogs and then chooks etc )

Enough blabbing from me.

I think Fremantle, Subiaco and maybe Cottosloe and Scarborough would be good places for you to check out.
Scarborough is a bit to 'trashy' for me, and to many tourists, but, apparently it is getting a makeover(soon?)?
Hillary's is very nice too, though a bit to far out and uncentral for my liking, and maybe to quiet for the average younger person? And expensive(r).
I don't know.....!!, I haven't lived in any other places in Perth expect when I was young(hills).

Good luck, you can't really choose until you're here anyway!
Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Get your self a furnished rental for a couple of weeks, and then take your time to have a good look round as to what is available.
The plus side is that most suburbs of Perth are 'near 'the beach

all the best
Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Hi,

Thank you very much for your recommendations. I have booked a 10 days validation trip in June so will check out those areas you suggest. I am also spending a week in Sydney as we may chose to live there. I spent 2 weeks in perth on a WHV and loved it so am keen to go back.

It's great to hear from anyone, especially people of a similar age as ourselves.

Cheers

SS