Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

Old Feb 18th 2012, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

bikeframed will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The 23 best countries for work-life balance... Really?

Originally Posted by aussietobe
maybe this is why Australia has such a robust economy, at least in comparison to most European countries?
No, that would be because, much like Canada, the banks didn't go down the toilet during the GFC and there is lots of stuff in the ground to dig up and sell to others.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 8:09 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
maybe this is why Australia has such a robust economy, at least in comparison to most European countries?
I understand the painful labour reforms in Germany also made its industries more competitive.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The details of the OECD report are here:

http://oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/australia/

Australia seems to do very well on most measures, except "work life balance". This seems to be due to a relatively high proportion of workers working very long hours, although the average hours worked is close to average, and lack of child care.

With my employer I can take all my annual leave at half pay. In other words, I can take 8 weeks a year and the reduction in my income is relatively modest. This year I'm taking all my leave at half pay. Previously, I used to be a contractor and I made sure to take at least 5 or 6 weeks leave.

My point is that many people have the option to take extra leave, but choose to have a higher income instead.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 9:46 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
The details of the OECD report are here:

http://oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/australia/

Australia seems to do very well on most measures, except "work life balance". This seems to be due to a relatively high proportion of workers working very long hours, although the average hours worked is close to average, and lack of child care.

With my employer I can take all my annual leave at half pay. In other words, I can take 8 weeks a year and the reduction in my income is relatively modest. This year I'm taking all my leave at half pay. Previously, I used to be a contractor and I made sure to take at least 5 or 6 weeks leave.

My point is that many people have the option to take extra leave, but choose to have a higher income instead.
Same thing with LSL. You often get higher salary increases by changing jobs than by staying loyal, but you forego the LSL.
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bingobob777
well for a start 20 days annual leave is absolute crap and a good 8-10 behind most European countries.

Paid maternity and paternity leave is crap here

Cost, quality and availability of childcare is prohibitive
No wonder Europe are collapsing financially....... something seems to be good has its cost...... applying all this such benefits for employee will increase the operational cost..thus will be deducted to us...the customer/consumers.

NOte; I am not an employer just an average Melbourneian blue collar
Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:23 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Do they ? Can we see the figures to support this statement ? With more and more people being employed on a casual basis paid leave isn't even in the equation.

Old Feb 18th 2012, 10:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

So we seem to do very well on most measures except what is probably the most important to most working people ? Surely for most families a good work/life balance is paramount ?

Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:21 pm
Daffyd Duck

Well as an Asian country how could Australia achieve WLB?
Old Feb 18th 2012, 11:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by commonwealth
Well as an Asian country how could Australia achieve WLB?
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
So we seem to do very well on most measures except what is probably the most important to most working people ? Surely for most families a good work/life balance is paramount ?
The Work/Life balance metric seems to be particularly subjective. Not everyone is working long hours because they have to. Perhaps some of them are making the most of a booming economy which provides lots of work and high wages? I'm sure a lot of people in Greece would like to work more...
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:32 am
Banned

Well of course some in the booming mining sector could be working long hours but that is hardly the majority of the workforce, indeed it is a very small part of it. The other sectors that aren't booming such as tourism, manufacturing, retail etc make up the majority of the economy are struggling.

The Work/Life balance metric seems to be particularly subjective. Not everyone is working long hours because they have to. Perhaps some of them are making the most of a booming economy which provides lots of work and high wages? I'm sure a lot of people in Greece would like to work more...
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:54 am
Daffyd Duck

Well of course some in the booming mining sector could be working long hours but that is hardly the majority of the workforce, indeed it is a very small part of it. The other sectors that aren't booming such as tourism, manufacturing, retail etc make up the majority of the economy are struggling.
Indeed we are seeing widespread poverty in Australia.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:17 am
Banned

I wouldn't say there is widespread poverty by any means, certainly lots of families doing it tough though.

Indeed we are seeing widespread poverty in Australia.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:22 am
Daffyd Duck

I wouldn't say there is widespread poverty by any means, certainly lots of families doing it tough though.
Yes they can no longer afford more expensive cars or bigger LCD TVs or latest iPhone models and can no longer afford a round da world travel.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:27 am
Banned

I'm sure there are some that fit that bill that consider themselves hard done by, I was actually referring to those who can't afford good food or to pay the bills or the mortgage.

Yes they can no longer afford more expensive cars or bigger LCD TVs or latest iPhone models and can no longer afford a round da world travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.