Reload this Page >

22 year old graduate, wanting to work in Aus for a year

22 year old graduate, wanting to work in Aus for a year

Old Jun 10th 2018, 2:40 am
Just Joined

rdude_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 22 year old graduate, wanting to work in Aus for a year

Hello everyone!

So, I am a 22 year old graduate from University in the UK, looking to work in Aus for a year. This would mean the 1 year working visa would apply to me I am assuming. I have done some research and found that obtaining this visa itself is not too difficult of a process. However, I have a few questions.

1) In terms of finding a job, how easy/difficult is this?
2) I do not wish to work in a bar or do fruit picking.
3) Is there a minimum amount of money required to have in your bank account to be allowed entry into Australia?

I would love to live in Australia for a year but have no idea how to go about finding a job.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old Jun 10th 2018, 6:06 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22 year old graduate, wanting to work in Aus for a year

Originally Posted by rdude_1
Hello everyone!

So, I am a 22 year old graduate from University in the UK, looking to work in Aus for a year. This would mean the 1 year working visa would apply to me I am assuming. I have done some research and found that obtaining this visa itself is not too difficult of a process. However, I have a few questions.

1) In terms of finding a job, how easy/difficult is this?
2) I do not wish to work in a bar or do fruit picking.
3) Is there a minimum amount of money required to have in your bank account to be allowed entry into Australia?

I would love to live in Australia for a year but have no idea how to go about finding a job.

Any help would be appreciated!
Hi there and welcome

The working holiday visa would likely be the only option for you. There are some limitations of the visa so make sure you familiarise yourself with them (eg maximum length of time with one employer is 6 months)

1 - how easy or difficult it is to find a job will likely depend on what skills you have. It can also depend on when you are looking (no one seems to hire much around Christmas and the start of the new year)
2 - this is a statement???
3 - not sure, but if there is it will be listed amongst the visa criteria.

Job hunting - probably not possible before you arrive so you are going to need some funds. Online recruitment sites such as SEEK can give you an idea of what's around. There will also be recruitment agencies that can help but with a working holiday visa you will be limited.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You don’t want t9 work in a bar or pick fruit? Why not? That’s what most WHV holders do.

If youre thinking of career enhancing work, think again unless you have some fantastic in demand skill set that no young Aussie graduate may have.

How hard is it to get a job? Not that difficult if you’re a hard worker with a good sense of humour and a willingness to do anything but as soon as you get picky and snotty it gets exponentially harder.
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi there and welcome

The working holiday visa would likely be the only option for you. There are some limitations of the visa so make sure you familiarise yourself with them (eg maximum length of time with one employer is 6 months)

1 - how easy or difficult it is to find a job will likely depend on what skills you have. It can also depend on when you are looking (no one seems to hire much around Christmas and the start of the new year)
2 - this is a statement???
3 - not sure, but if there is it will be listed amongst the visa criteria.

Job hunting - probably not possible before you arrive so you are going to need some funds. Online recruitment sites such as SEEK can give you an idea of what's around. There will also be recruitment agencies that can help but with a working holiday visa you will be limited.
Thank you for your response. I did not mean to come across as snobbish about the fruit picking/bar work. I by no means think I am 'above' it, but just for personal reasons would rather not do it. What other options would be available? Is the working holiday visa my only option?
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
You don’t want t9 work in a bar or pick fruit? Why not? That’s what most WHV holders do.

If youre thinking of career enhancing work, think again unless you have some fantastic in demand skill set that no young Aussie graduate may have.

How hard is it to get a job? Not that difficult if you’re a hard worker with a good sense of humour and a willingness to do anything but as soon as you get picky and snotty it gets exponentially harder.
Hi. Like I said in my previous post, I did not mean it in a snotty way. I should have worded it better. I have reasons as to why I do not wish to. I just want to know which other options are available to me? Like, lets say shop work or something like that?
Old Jun 10th 2018, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdude_1
Hi. Like I said in my previous post, I did not mean it in a snotty way. I should have worded it better. I have reasons as to why I do not wish to. I just want to know which other options are available to me? Like, lets say shop work or something like that?
Check out Gumtree and see what’s on offer for backpackers. You’re not prevented from applying for any jobs you choose but you’ll be competing with young Aussies also wanting work (and that’s seasonally tricky so try and get something before the summer vac if you want 6 months) and your short term commitment is often off putting for employers. I think call centres are quite popular with backpackers if somewhat demoralising places to work. Developing skills as a barista could stand you in good stead if coffee shops are ok.