Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

20ft container? how big are they?

20ft container? how big are they?

Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough
Default 20ft container? how big are they?

Sorry if it`s been asked but i cant find it!
How much stuff can you fit in a 20ft container? I have no concept of how big they are?
We are looking at taking washer, dryer, vacuum, bedsteads x 4 doubles, 1 x king and mattresses, tv and personal boxes, some clothes, dinning table n chairs and sofa suite, etc etc.
Pomgrrl
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:22 am
Got our visas

julie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of lightjulie hilton is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 20ft container? how big are they?

Originally Posted by pomgrrl
How much stuff can you fit in a 20ft container? I have no concept of how big they are?
We are looking at taking washer, dryer, vacuum, bedsteads x 4 doubles, 1 x king and mattresses, tv and personal boxes, some clothes, dinning table n chairs and sofa suite, etc etc.
Pomgrrl

Its about the same size as a standard garage. That will give you some idea.

Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:32 am
Lancs to central coast

simnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud ofsimnmax has much to be proud of

Pomgrrl
20' x 8' x 8' outside measurements.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:23 am
TNN
Just Joined

TNN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Pomgrrl,

The internal measurements are:
19' 4.25"(5.899 m) x 7' 8.625" (2.353 m) x 7' 10" (2.388 m).

Or scroll to the bottom of the linked page for a better overview http://www.export911.com/e911/ship/dimen.htm

Tony
Old Apr 24th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TNN
Hello Pomgrrl,

The internal measurements are:
19' 4.25"(5.899 m) x 7' 8.625" (2.353 m) x 7' 10" (2.388 m).

Or scroll to the bottom of the linked page for a better overview http://www.export911.com/e911/ship/dimen.htm

Tony
If you're behind one on the road, it's written on the back - 33.2 cu m. I posted a while ago asking how fully they can be packed (i.e. can they use all of the height by judicious stacking of items on top of one another), but no answers so far. Anyone?
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:02 am
formerly Poppy

Poppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to allPoppy 2 is a name known to all

Pomgrrl
If you're getting quotes in, they let you know what size container you will need. we had a four bedroom house, 2 adults and 3 kids worth of clothes/books/cds/toys, 1 superking bed and 4 singles, 5 bikes, 3 sofas, dining table and benches, garden furniture, tv, kitchen crockery, pots and pans, linen etc and it all fit in a 20ft.

It was strange though, because it was so full when they left, the doors had to be forced shut and then when it arrived with us in Oz (its then a different container, because customs have to go through everything), it was also a 20ft container and it looked only 2 thirds full and we were worried stuff had gone missing and it hadn't, it had been packed differently. My other half reckons that they pack it to look full so that you may not fit everything in and have to get more shipped separately!! Don't know if that's true!

Anyway, they do fit a lot in, but the removals guys that quote will let you know.

Good luck,
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy 2
If you're getting quotes in, they let you know what size container you will need. we had a four bedroom house, 2 adults and 3 kids worth of clothes/books/cds/toys, 1 superking bed and 4 singles, 5 bikes, 3 sofas, dining table and benches, garden furniture, tv, kitchen crockery, pots and pans, linen etc and it all fit in a 20ft.

It was strange though, because it was so full when they left, the doors had to be forced shut and then when it arrived with us in Oz (its then a different container, because customs have to go through everything), it was also a 20ft container and it looked only 2 thirds full and we were worried stuff had gone missing and it hadn't, it had been packed differently. My other half reckons that they pack it to look full so that you may not fit everything in and have to get more shipped separately!! Don't know if that's true!

Anyway, they do fit a lot in, but the removals guys that quote will let you know.

Good luck,
Well - there are only 2 of us in the house - and we had overpacked (so I've been told). Only 1 bed went, no chests of drawers or wardrobes. Dont know what I done??????

I had to pay £1,000 in addition to my original quote.....

Ho hum....

Laura
Old Apr 24th 2007, 11:28 am
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gordon&laura
Well - there are only 2 of us in the house - and we had overpacked (so I've been told). Only 1 bed went, no chests of drawers or wardrobes. Dont know what I done??????

I had to pay £1,000 in addition to my original quote.....

Ho hum....

Laura
I don't like the sound of that! £1000 extra!! Who were they?

Chris
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Were moving to cairns, when our visa comes just wondering if people tend to take a lot of their stuff with them to start with or if its cheaper to start a fresh.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

pomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the roughpomgrrl is a jewel in the rough

thanks for replies, they where most helpful.
I'm just looking into this to see if its worth taking our things or selling them and get them new in Oz, another post refers to using an Australian shipping company from the UK to Oz (if you know what I mean?? ) seems a cheaper option
Old Apr 24th 2007, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Pomgrrl
Hi,

We took two sofas (2 seater + 3 seater) 1 double bed + mattress, 1 washing machine, 2 sideboards, 3 chests of drawers, 1 kitchen table and 1 dining table, 2 motor scooters, 2 bikes and an aqualung as well as 139 boxes of various sizes and it all fitted in. The secret appears to be to pack as little air as possible. (It's just as cheap over here and warmer, too)

Good luck

Mark
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Thanks for that we are a family of four and its a headache we are hoping to take dogs aswell.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sophjam
Thanks for that we are a family of four and its a headache we are hoping to take dogs aswell.
They're not going to like it in a container!
Old Apr 24th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

emmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really niceemmo is just really nice

thanks for replies, they where most helpful.
I'm just looking into this to see if its worth taking our things or selling them and get them new in Oz, another post refers to using an Australian shipping company from the UK to Oz (if you know what I mean?? ) seems a cheaper option
Ooh, that sounds interesting! Did they give you the names of any of the Australian companies?

Thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emmo
Ooh, that sounds interesting! Did they give you the names of any of the Australian companies?

Thanks.
try this thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=container

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.