Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2010 plated vs 2011 plated cars

2010 plated vs 2011 plated cars

Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:09 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about
Default 2010 plated vs 2011 plated cars

Hi there,

I live in Perth but I don't know if this applies to the whole of Oz or only WA...

It seems that a "2010 plated" new car is cheaper than a "2011 plated" one.

Not that I am planning to buy a new car, but can anyone explain to me what is the difference? Is it just the year the car was registered? Does it make that much difference if it is Jan 2011 than Dec 2010?

Another thing -- is it possible to tell the year of the car based on the registration plate number, like in the UK?

Thanks
Luis
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2010 plated vs 2011 plated cars

Originally Posted by luis_be
Hi there,

I live in Perth but I don't know if this applies to the whole of Oz or only WA...

It seems that a "2010 plated" new car is cheaper than a "2011 plated" one.

Not that I am planning to buy a new car, but can anyone explain to me what is the difference? Is it just the year the car was registered? Does it make that much difference if it is Jan 2011 than Dec 2010?

Another thing -- is it possible to tell the year of the car based on the registration plate number, like in the UK?

Thanks
Luis
You can't tell by the plate but a car registered in 2010 is going to be cheaper than the same car registered in 2011 just the same as the UK when the plate changes in August.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The word 'Plated' refers to the metal plate attached to every vehicle which displays the month and year of manufacture and VIN (vehicle Identification Number) and other details.

Usually found inside the engine cavity somewhere or on the outside of a motorbike. It is engraved with these details.

It's not the number plate they are referring to. If you want to know the age of the vehicle, that's where you'll find the manufactured date.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:59 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a point of interest (or sheer boredom maybe) in Victoria now, they are / have been issuing R, S, T, U, V, W, and we are up to X now, However, there seems to be no predetermined length of time that each letter runs for.

This helps to avoid the snobbishness that occurs (sometimes) In the UK with the 'must have' new number plate stuff.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:10 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Just as a point of interest (or sheer boredom maybe) in Victoria now, they are / have been issuing R, S, T, U, V, W, and we are up to X now, However, there seems to be no predetermined length of time that each letter runs for.

This helps to avoid the snobbishness that occurs (sometimes) In the UK with the 'must have' new number plate stuff.
Never owned a new car, never want to.

Let some other mug take the bulk of the depreciation I say
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle

Having this year's model is a selling point for car salesmen in Perth, though. It is a lot cheaper to buy a 2010 model that is brand new, rather than a 2011 model, brand new.

When a car changes ownership, it has to to be re-registered, complete with govt fee. So a 10 year old banger when sold gets a new numberplate, just like a new car.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:47 am
Enjoying living in Perth

luis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura aboutluis_be has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the replies, now I know what they are talking about.

At least in the UK it kind of "makes sense"... at least you can tell just looking at a registration plate the year the car was registered (if you care about that of course.)

Here you need to look at a small metal plate under the bonnet, so who cares if it is late 2010 or early 2011!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Never owned a new car, never want to.

Let some other mug take the bulk of the depreciation I say
and flog the shite out of it before selling it to you

Barney
Old Jan 4th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Having this year's model is a selling point for car salesmen in Perth, though. It is a lot cheaper to buy a 2010 model that is brand new, rather than a 2011 model, brand new.

When a car changes ownership, it has to to be re-registered, complete with govt fee. So a 10 year old banger when sold gets a new numberplate, just like a new car.
Not totally true. When ownership transfers, the vehicle is re-registered into the new owners name. New number plates are not issued then unless personalised plates are put on the vehicle or the vehicle is being registered in a different state.

Barney
Old Jan 4th 2011, 9:41 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
and flog the shite out of it before selling it to you

Barney
That's where a decent inspection and pukka service history comes in handy

Seriously, I really can't understand the appeal apart from the snob value.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luis_be
Thanks for the replies, now I know what they are talking about.

At least in the UK it kind of "makes sense"... at least you can tell just looking at a registration plate the year the car was registered (if you care about that of course.)

Here you need to look at a small metal plate under the bonnet, so who cares if it is late 2010 or early 2011!
I would have thought it makes more sense here as it is not used for show but solely for practical selling value. When selling it people want to know how old a car is. They look at the plate in the engine.

A 4yo car is usually cheaper than a 3yo car all else being equal. So walking off the forecourt with the previous years plate makes your new car already 1 yo on the sales market.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by POW148
Not totally true. When ownership transfers, the vehicle is re-registered into the new owners name. New number plates are not issued then unless personalised plates are put on the vehicle or the vehicle is being registered in a different state.

Barney
Yes, I didn't get that completely right, so sorry for any confusion. A car can be sold with its existing number plates that get transferred into the new owner's name. However, the new owner can pay a fee to have brand new number plates, or if a car is sold unregistered, the new owner can re-register it and get new number plates. Also, if the previous owner had personalised number plates, they may decide to keep them and the new owner gets new plates. There are several ways a much older car can end up with new number plates.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fish.01
I would have thought it makes more sense here as it is not used for show but solely for practical selling value. When selling it people want to know how old a car is. They look at the plate in the engine.

A 4yo car is usually cheaper than a 3yo car all else being equal. So walking off the forecourt with the previous years plate makes your new car already 1 yo on the sales market.
I though it was more about the number of kms done, rather than the age of the car. There's also the issue of off-road driving in states like WA.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I though it was more about the number of kms done, rather than the age of the car. There's also the issue of off-road driving in states like WA.
Yes "all else being equal"...there are other things that come into play. Age is one of the important factors though - two similar cars with similar mileage the older one will often be expected to be cheaper. From the car ad a lot of people look at the age and mileage first when deciding. They also do things like use the year to decide whether the car is probably still in warranty or not.

Last edited by fish.01; Jan 5th 2011 at 12:48 am.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

tartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant futuretartantopgun has a brilliant future

Just to clarify one thing here in WA. The build date is not recognised here, it is the compliance date which is the crucial one. There is two plates on the car. You can have a built 2010 vehicle which is a 2011 compliance. Regarding resale, it is the compliance date you go by.

I sell new cars here in Perth and if I can assist anyone either new or used, just PM me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.