Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

20,000,000 3/12/03

20,000,000 3/12/03

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default 20,000,000 3/12/03

A very special number
By Farah Farouque
Social Affairs Editor
December 4, 2003

Australia's population will reach 20 million today. Calculated by a mathematical projection using the 2001 census, he or she could be a baby born from midnight, a migrant or a returning expatriate.

Precision, in this case, is not required by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, which is offering certificates to any baby born until midnight tomorrow.

"We don't have a team of people using abacuses working on this," says the bureau's director of demography Patrick Corr.

The future, demographically speaking, looks rather different to what preceded it.

Australia has already fundamentally changed in the post-war years. Nearly a quarter of the population was born overseas, according to the census.

In metropolitan Melbourne alone, 8 per cent of the population is now Asian-born.

"It's a very significant transformation," notes demographer Bob Birrell.

With an ageing population and Australia's fertility rate at 1.75 children per woman - replacement levels require just over two births - the migrant intake, rather than home-grown mothers, loom as the key to future growth.

In the absence of migration at present levels, around 100,000 a year, Dr Birrell says that in 30 years deaths will exceed births.

The bureau predicts that by 2051 there will be 26 million Australians. Business groups would like to see a bigger expansion to 40 to 50 million by mid-century. Conversely, green groups say we can't afford that kind of pressure on the environment and water resources.

Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone declines to talk of an optimum number. "A number of people say we should set a population target but I think that's not either necessary or appropriate because that is just a number - a hollow shell," she said yesterday.

"Those of us who are fans of immigration need to bear in mind that those of us with good jobs, with education and with skills don't feel at risk by immigration. But those people who don't have an extensive post-secondary education, who haven't got a trade skill and who might be working in an industry that is in decline, do feel at risk."

OzTennis
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong date in heading!

OzTennis
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:22 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting, thanks!

I was just wondering/realizing, I'm a citizen, but not a resident, so I'll be considered a returning expatriate, right, or not?

I agree about not having a population target. It does seem very unnecessary and unappropriate. And you'd never be able to agree on a number anyway, there are so many arguments for reasons to make it high, and reasons to make it low.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:23 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis
Wrong date in heading!

OzTennis
maybe you can change it with your edit button?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:33 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder what Australia will be like when the business groups get their 40-50 million economic units of production???

Welcome to Wallaby Shire
Water Restrictions Apply

Odd numbered residences:

(a) Untreated water may be used for any purpose, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:10 AM and 5:20 PM - 5:30 PM.
(b) Treated water can be used only for drinking purposes, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:05 AM and 5:25 PM - 5:30 PM.
(c) The use of water on Fridays is strictly forbidden.

Even numbered residences:

(a) Untreated water may be used for any purpose, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:10 AM and 5:20 PM - 5:30 PM.
(b) Treated water can be used only for drinking purposes, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:05 AM and 5:25 PM - 5:30 PM.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Florida_03
Wonder what Australia will be like when the business groups get their 40-50 million economic units of production???

Welcome to Wallaby Shire
Water Restrictions Apply

Odd numbered residences:

(a) Untreated water may be used for any purpose, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays, between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:10 AM and 5:20 PM - 5:30 PM.
(b) Treated water can be used only for drinking purposes, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:05 AM and 5:25 PM - 5:30 PM.

Even numbered residences:

(a) Untreated water may be used for any purpose, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:10 AM and 5:20 PM - 5:30 PM.
(b) Treated water can be used only for drinking purposes, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays between the hours of 6:00 AM - 6:05 AM and 5:25 PM - 5:30 PM.
Eh???? Do you mean there won't be enough water for a bigger population?

OzTennis
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:03 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by OzTennis
Eh???? Do you mean there won't be enough water for a bigger population?

OzTennis
I mean there is not enough treated water for the present population considering the present infrastructure, planned investment, climatic conditions, and present usage patterns.

Australians NOW have to live with reduced water. I can only imagine that population increases will exacerbate an already worrying situation.

Learn to live with less water.

Last edited by Florida_03; Dec 3rd 2003 at 2:05 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Florida_03
I mean there is not enough treated water for the present population considering the present infrastructure, planned investment, climatic conditions, and present usage patterns.

Australians NOW have to live with reduced water. I can only imagine that population increases will exacerbate an already worrying situation.

Learn to live with less water.
Yep, same thought crosses my mind when I see population projections and think back to the drought and Melbourne's water storages for example getting down close to 30% of capacity. Recent rains (not to mention the over 4" yesterday) are only short term, long term will there be enough water for the current population, let alone a much larger population is a really critical problem and probably one of the biggest issues facing the country.

OzTennis
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 3:21 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

it'll be okay, water will become the new oil, and aus will team up Bush junior's junior and melt antarctica....

you mark my words....
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

A great sense of loss and only a little expectation.

Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Gordon Lightfoot.

There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
Long before the white man and long before the wheel
When the green dark forest was too silent to be real
But time has no beginnings and hist’ry has no bounds
As to this verdant country they came from all around
They sailed upon her waterways and they walked the forests tall
And they built the mines the mills and the factories for the good of us all

And when the young man’s fancy was turnin’ to the spring
The railroad men grew restless for to hear the hammers ring
Their minds were overflowing with the visions of their day
And many a fortune lost and won and many a debt to pay

For they looked in the future and what did they see
They saw an iron road runnin’ from sea to the sea
Bringin’ the goods to a young growin’ land
All up through the seaports and into their hands

Look away said they across this mighty land
From the eastern shore to the western strand
Bring in the workers and bring up the rails
We gotta lay down the tracks and tear up the trails
Open ’er heart let the life blood flow
Gotta get on our way ’cause we’re movin’ too slow

Bring in the workers and bring up the rails
We’re gonna lay down the tracks and tear up the trails
Open ’er heart let the life blood flow
Gotta get on our way ’cause we’re movin’ too slow
Get on our way ’cause we’re movin’ too slow

Behind the blue rockies the sun is declinin’
The stars, they come stealin’ at the close of the day
Across the wide prairie our loved ones lie sleeping
Beyond the dark oceans in a place far away

We are the navvies who work upon the railway
Swingin’ our hammers in the bright blazin’ sun
Livin’ on stew and drinkin’ bad whiskey
Bendin’ our old backs ’til the long days are done

We are the navvies who work upon the railway
Swingin’ our hammers in the bright blazin’ sun
Layin’ down track and buildin’ the bridges
Bendin’ our old backs ’til the railroad is done

So over the mountains and over the plains
Into the muskeg and into the rain
Up the st. lawrence all the way to gaspe
Swingin’ our hammers and drawin’ our pay
Drivin’ ’em in and tyin’ ’em down
Away to the bunkhouse and into the town
A dollar a day and a place for my head
A drink to the livin’ and a toast to the dead

Oh the song of the future has been sung
All the battles have been won
O’er the mountain tops we stand
All the world at our command
We have opened up the soil
With our teardrops and our toil

For there was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run
When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun
Long before the white man and long before the wheel
And many are the dead men too silent to be real

Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by jandjuk
it'll be okay, water will become the new oil, and aus will team up Bush junior's junior and melt antarctica....

you mark my words....
Maybe it will be Arnie junior? 'Let's terminate Antartica'

OzTennis

Antartica by Midnight Oil - from the album "Blue Sky Mining"

I'm a snow plough, I must now plow on, I'm a snow plough, I'm a settlers son
I'm a storm cloud, rain myself all over the place
I'm a storm cloud, gonna wipe that smile right off your face
There must be one place left in the world
Where the mountains meet the sea
There must be one place left in the world
Where the water's real and clean

I'm a landslide, I'm a downhill run, I'm a landslide, open season's just begun