British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   2 Yrs Nursing Training in UK then Finish in Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/2-yrs-nursing-training-uk-then-finish-oz-817966/)

Swooty Dec 16th 2013 10:27 am

2 Yrs Nursing Training in UK then Finish in Oz

Im looking for some desperate advice on completing Nursing training in Oz.

We as a family have an option of going back to Brisbane next year, (457 visa) after living there previously for 3 years.

We are looking at returning in July next year and my wife will have completed 2 years of her nursing degree in the UK. Firstly is ti possible to finish this in Brisbane, and can she have her 2 years work reviewed/passed/certified.

Has anyone done this ? How easy or hard is it ?:confused:

I do know we will have to pay International student Fees, but beggars cant be choosers etc......:unsure:

Any advice would be great.:thumbsup:

eddie007 Dec 16th 2013 10:31 am

Re: 2 Yrs Nursing Training in UK then Finish in Oz

Originally Posted by Swooty (Post 11039187)

We as a family have an option of going back to Brisbane next year, (457 visa) after living there previously for 3 years.

We are looking at returning in July next year and my wife will have completed 2 years of her nursing degree in the UK. Firstly is ti possible to finish this in Brisbane, and can she have her 2 years work reviewed/passed/certified.

I do know we will have to pay International student Fees, but beggars cant be choosers etc......:unsure:

There is a working abroad Nursing section where you might get more answers.... How much APL she gets It depends on how much of the course she has undertaken will be recognized by the Australian university that she applies to....

balkanghost Dec 16th 2013 4:20 pm

Concur with above. Just need to document previous study (from institution) and any related work experience, documented i.e. transcript/subject descriptions and references/job descriptions.

All are set up to deal with credit transfers through RPL Recognition of Previous Learning under the AQF Australian Qualifications Framework, and mature students.

Swooty Dec 16th 2013 5:20 pm

Thanks for the info, she will have completed 2 years of a nursing degree at the University West of England, so I get the feel its not such a tricky transition after all.

quoll Dec 16th 2013 6:44 pm

Shouldn't think she will get the full 2 years RPL but they can tell you. She will also have to pay international fees up front - $12-15k pa from the look of it.

verystormy Dec 17th 2013 4:12 am

Be aware though, that she will be an international student and the fees will be huge - potentialy in the $10's of thousands

Kapri Dec 17th 2013 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Swooty (Post 11039187)

You will pay huge fees plus I think nursing students here get a very different deal to UK students.
The students I have had can be placed 100s of miles from where they live and they have to suck up the extra accommodation costs.
Check it out before you commit :)

Dorothy Dec 18th 2013 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 11040967)
The students I have had can be placed 100s of miles from where they live and they have to suck up the extra accommodation costs.

That's very true. My aged care placement in May is in Adelaide. I live in Perth. Mind you, I'm studying externally, but even if I was at ECU or Curtin there's no guarantee that I'd be placed close to home. I could be sent to Mandurah (2 hours by train each way) or the eastern suburbs (1.5 hours drive each way - poor public transit)

Grayling Dec 18th 2013 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11042759)
That's very true. My aged care placement in May is in Adelaide. I live in Perth. Mind you, I'm studying externally, but even if I was at ECU or Curtin there's no guarantee that I'd be placed close to home. I could be sent to Mandurah (2 hours by train each way) or the eastern suburbs (1.5 hours drive each way - poor public transit)

Some of our Brisbane students were offered placements in Cairns.

Problem is there are too many students and too few placements......then there are too many graduates looking for too few graduate positions and jobs.

Dorothy Dec 18th 2013 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Grayling (Post 11042765)
Some of our Brisbane students were offered placements in Cairns.

Problem is there are too many students and too few placements......then there are too many graduates looking for too few graduate positions and jobs.

True. I'm lucky that I work in a hospital already and have some decent contacts. However, my contacts are in an area I'm not really interested in working as a nurse in and I'd really rather work closer to home than an hour's commute each way.

Grayling Dec 18th 2013 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 11042797)
True. I'm lucky that I work in a hospital already and have some decent contacts. However, my contacts are in an area I'm not really interested in working as a nurse in and I'd really rather work closer to home than an hour's commute each way.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your own circumstances, most graduate positions are 'filled' before the students ever graduate.

many students are 'earmarked' for jobs long before they qualify.

Maybe not the way it should be but a reality nonetheless