2 Years Today

Old May 4th 2004, 11:57 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 Years Today

2 years on

2 years ago this morning I flew into Australia. I could do a Badge and say I had been here 3 years 3 months taking into account working holidays and other trips but that is a bit misleading.

The first few months were at the start of winter and despite getting work quickly were a bit depressing. That’s what living with the mother in law can do. Mrs BP got work a couple of months later when we moved out to Bondi.

Unlike most here I am not after the 5 bedroom house with mammoth garden and am more than happy living in a unit in a lively great to live in suburb. It was a bit small when I had 5 friends staying around when I got married but other than that the only extra space I have wanted is a bit of decking for a BBQ.

Work made me permanent after a few months and I am still plodding away here. Something now has to give wither through a role change or promotion as I am now feeling stale. I get marginally more than what I was on in the UK but I get 20 days holiday here compared to the 25 days in the UK. I am also on a 40 hour week compared to a 35 hour week so per hour I am on less pay, The job itself has provided many new challenges which is more important.

My commute is certainly worse with a 30 to 60 minute drive compared to 20 minutes walk and train in the UK. Infinately better though compared to my short period contracting and commuting to London.

The lifestyle here is different, more relaxed and definitely more outdoors. Taking up surfing has been an amazing experience. Sitting out in the lineup waiting for a wave is a great place to clear ones mind of the days stress. The Mrs hasn’t minded the increase in fitness. I’ve found myself participating in the corporate triathlon and other bizarre bodily punishments that I would never have considered in the UK. There is plenty of brain food around but the NRL, Premiership and Olympic swimming team seem to interest more people.

My main problem with the country is the blatant corruption of politics and media at almost every level. The UK is not immune to corruption but politics here is dirty and it does affect us all in many ways. It sometimes makes me angry and I feel frustrated so many accept the status quo.

What I love here is the ability to eat out and eat good so much more often than in soggy vegetable Britain. The Ocean and blue skies do make me feel happy.

I have never felt homesick although I would like to see friends and family far more than I do now. I can tell Mum misses me a lot as she seems to find a funny reason to call me every weekend. Gran misses me as well and out of all the grandchildren and children I seem to be the one she remembers in her slow forming dementia. That tugs at the heart.

I have never lived anywhere more than 5 years at a time so I have never felt like somewhere is home. What is strange is that after 2 years I still don’t have itchy feet. That really is saying something for me. Given the right package I could happily live back in the UK but at the moment we have no intention of packing up.

The highlight of the 2 years was getting married in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney and having a wonderful reception with a small crowd of close friends and family. I am a lucky man to have Mrs BP.

The only thing I think is missing here is having a few true friends rather than colleagues or acquaintances. They do not come quick so I am not too worried.

Last edited by bondipom; May 5th 2004 at 12:25 am.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

BP what a lovely post - I hope that Mrs BP reads it
Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Good luck for the future I am sure that you will do well wherever you may be.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:17 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Years Today

Originally posted by bondipom
I have never lived anywhere more than 5 years at a time so I have never felt like somewhere is home. What is strange is that after 2 years I still don’t have itchy feet. That really is saying something for me.
Appreciate you sharing that BP.
Do you think the lack of itchy feet is because you are maturing ?
..and I don't mean that in a take the piss way.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:22 am

Originally posted by Bix
Appreciate you sharing that BP.
Do you think the lack of itchy feet is because you are maturing ?
..and I don't mean that in a take the piss way.
Maybe I am mellowing with age. I did turn 30 last week.
Old May 5th 2004, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I am mellowing with age. I did turn 30 last week.
You're just a wippersnapper, (as opposed to a whipperstripper).

Good post BP.
Old May 5th 2004, 4:21 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

2 years on

2 years ago this morning I flew into Australia. I could do a Badge and say I had been here 3 years 3 months taking into account working holidays and other trips but that is a bit misleading.

The first few months were at the start of winter and despite getting work quickly were a bit depressing. That’s what living with the mother in law can do. Mrs BP got work a couple of months later when we moved out to Bondi.

Unlike most here I am not after the 5 bedroom house with mammoth garden and am more than happy living in a unit in a lively great to live in suburb. It was a bit small when I had 5 friends staying around when I got married but other than that the only extra space I have wanted is a bit of decking for a BBQ.

Work made me permanent after a few months and I am still plodding away here. Something now has to give wither through a role change or promotion as I am now feeling stale. I get marginally more than what I was on in the UK but I get 20 days holiday here compared to the 25 days in the UK. I am also on a 40 hour week compared to a 35 hour week so per hour I am on less pay, The job itself has provided many new challenges which is more important.

My commute is certainly worse with a 30 to 60 minute drive compared to 20 minutes walk and train in the UK. Infinately better though compared to my short period contracting and commuting to London.

The lifestyle here is different, more relaxed and definitely more outdoors. Taking up surfing has been an amazing experience. Sitting out in the lineup waiting for a wave is a great place to clear ones mind of the days stress. The Mrs hasn’t minded the increase in fitness. I’ve found myself participating in the corporate triathlon and other bizarre bodily punishments that I would never have considered in the UK. There is plenty of brain food around but the NRL, Premiership and Olympic swimming team seem to interest more people.

My main problem with the country is the blatant corruption of politics and media at almost every level. The UK is not immune to corruption but politics here is dirty and it does affect us all in many ways. It sometimes makes me angry and I feel frustrated so many accept the status quo.

What I love here is the ability to eat out and eat good so much more often than in soggy vegetable Britain. The Ocean and blue skies do make me feel happy.

I have never felt homesick although I would like to see friends and family far more than I do now. I can tell Mum misses me a lot as she seems to find a funny reason to call me every weekend. Gran misses me as well and out of all the grandchildren and children I seem to be the one she remembers in her slow forming dementia. That tugs at the heart.

I have never lived anywhere more than 5 years at a time so I have never felt like somewhere is home. What is strange is that after 2 years I still don’t have itchy feet. That really is saying something for me. Given the right package I could happily live back in the UK but at the moment we have no intention of packing up.

The highlight of the 2 years was getting married in the Royal Botanic Gardens in Sydney and having a wonderful reception with a small crowd of close friends and family. I am a lucky man to have Mrs BP.

The only thing I think is missing here is having a few true friends rather than colleagues or acquaintances. They do not come quick so I am not too worried.

2 , 3 even 6 years on from leaving the UK .. I was still having an adventure.. . P.s I'm only in my early 30's .I left the Uk when I was young.

12 years on.. and just over 7 yrs in Aus

I just don't see why people think things like Redcliffe and Manly, Brisbane are wonderful.. to me they are very mediocre, nothing to rave about, little shallow bays with houses piled up on the fronts .. a cafe socities .. if people find that wonderful, they obviously have not seen a lot of Britain let alone the world . To be honest , I find Aus totally boring, lacking in a lot of things. And I am a very outdoor type of person (I don't like shopping, I don't like crowds) .. most of my weekends are spent either walking/trekking or on the bay fishing in our boat, I'm also a member of a few conservation groups here.

I find Australia so lacking.

I have never felt so hemmed in, in my entire life. It's like living in a bubble and the rest of the world doesn't exist.

just my personal view

Good luck to you and your wife , and maybe it does and will continue to suit you. Everybody is different, but I find Aus so lacking in real beauty , diversity and culture... I don't read tourist books.. I'ts just what I peronally find/feel.
Old May 5th 2004, 4:31 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I could do a Badge and say I had been here 3 years 3 months taking into account working holidays and other trips but that is a bit misleading.

Good on yeh, glad you like it. Are you getting citizenship?

Old May 5th 2004, 4:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting read Bondi; as I seem to be emerging from my "blues" phase, its given me food for thought. At least we didn't have to live with the MIL:scared:

Hope it continues to go well for you
Old May 5th 2004, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Nice . Hope there are many years of hapiness ahead for you both.
Old May 5th 2004, 5:28 am

Originally posted by janeyray

Good on yeh, glad you like it. Are you getting citizenship?

Most of the time was as a provisional spouse which doesn't count towards citizenship. I will get it in due course for practical reasons.
Old May 5th 2004, 5:42 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Great post. It's very refreshing to read a post that says "it's not perfect but I like it". Recently there have been a lot of either "It's crap I hate it", or "Woohoo! I love it" type posts. A dose of realism is always good to read.
Old May 5th 2004, 5:44 am

Originally posted by Pollyana
An interesting read Bondi; as I seem to be emerging from my "blues" phase, its given me food for thought. At least we didn't have to live with the MIL:scared:

Hope it continues to go well for you
Living with the MIL was excellent financially and gave us the security of a roof over our heads. It was difficult, Mrs BP was looking for work and I wanted my own space to watch the world cup. Coming home wrecked after England games hardly impressed her. We made it and I am grateful she put us up even if it was difficult fo me.

Polly the only thing I can advise is trying to find your own activity to stop you going insane from SVU. I am an awful surfer but time spent out there helps clear the mind. Not sure what to suggest though.
Old May 5th 2004, 5:51 am

Originally posted by Ceri
2 , 3 even 6 years on from leaving the UK .. I was still having an adventure.. . P.s I'm only in my early 30's .I left the Uk when I was young.

12 years on.. and just over 7 yrs in Aus

I just don't see why people think things like Redcliffe and Manly, Brisbane are wonderful.. to me they are very mediocre, nothing to rave about, little shallow bays with houses piled up on the fronts .. a cafe socities .. if people find that wonderful, they obviously have not seen a lot of Britain let alone the world . To be honest , I find Aus totally boring, lacking in a lot of things. And I am a very outdoor type of person (I don't like shopping, I don't like crowds) .. most of my weekends are spent either walking/trekking or on the bay fishing in our boat, I'm also a member of a few conservation groups here.

I have never felt so hemmed in, in my entire life. It's like living in a bubble and the rest of the world doesn't exist.

just my personal view

Good luck to you and your wife , and maybe it does and will continue to suit you. Everybody is different, but I find Aus so lacking in real beauty , diversity and culture... I don't read tourist books.. I'ts just what I peronally find/feel.
Ceri

We may end up feeling that way but there is a hell of lot more of the world to experience so if that point comes there is always another opportunity somewhere else.

It sounds like you have achieved a lot here and you maybe after your next challenge. Good luck with your plans.
Old May 5th 2004, 6:12 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ceri

just my personal view
You know, my feelings towards the country I now find myself in are identical.

It's sad to have to leave one's home to truly appreciate what it is you miss.

In the 29 years I lived in Australia, I would've told people to find a different country to emigrate to as Australia is nothing special.

But after living in the US for 6+ years, I can assure people it *is* special.
Old May 5th 2004, 7:29 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

heres's to the next 2 years.good post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.