Reload this Page >

2 years in, citizenship interview

2 years in, citizenship interview

Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough
Default 2 years in, citizenship interview

Well; it's our turn to say 2 years.

We have had no significant problems. The only bad thing was when my grandma (who I lived with whilst growing up) died 3 months after we arrived. Horrible time going back to the UK by myself to attend the funeral. Thank you if you are one of the ones who gave me support on this forum.

Catja's not been homesick at all. I did go through a point about 3-6 months in when I severely missed people... but at no time did I think of going back. In fact, when I was in the UK, attending my Gran's funeral, I could not wait to return to Brisbane. I felt a bit weird knowing that my other half and everything I own except for about 20 quid in a uk bank account was on the other side of the planet.

The fact is: We live here now, it *is* better here (lifestyle, excitement, options and (yes) the weather). I don't get paid as much but... its enough and I don't have asparations of grandure or anything.

We also own our own place which makes a big difference (we never had that in the UK).

So.... we have a citizenship interview booked. Hopefully it will not be too stressful (sorry mate, no places for POMs left etc....).

When I get my Aussie passport I will be using it with pride and not bother renewing my UK one unless there is a good reason for me to do so. Australia is my home now. Catja agrees with this too.

As Joda from Star Wars would say:
Fortunate, we are.

X
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:40 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: 2 years in, citizenship interview

Congratulatons on going for it. I still haven't got around to filling my forms in yet !!

Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jwatsonoz
In fact, when I was in the UK, attending my Gran's funeral, I could not wait to return to Brisbane.
Congratulations on your 2 years!! Sorry to hear about your Gran, as the same happened to me last April when my mum died and I made the trip home to do all the funeral stuff. I was amassed how home sick I got for my life back in Brissy. Roll-on November when we get to our 2 years.

Papa Z
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

So.... we have a citizenship interview booked. Hopefully it will not be too stressful (sorry mate, no places for POMs left etc....).
Should be no problem. Provided you know the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship.

And meet the residence requirement in full (excluding vacation days) - check the residence calculator at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

There is no nationality 'quota' for citizenship that might limit the number of grants of citizenship to British citizens.

In fact quite the contrary - the Citizenship Minister is very keen to see eligible PRs apply for citizenship. Especially those from Britain and New Zealand (many of them resident a very long time), who make up the lion's share of the 900,000 or so eligible permanent residents who have not yet taken out Australian citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:11 am
Account Closed

Barron is an unknown quantity at this point

All the best to you! We are only coming up to one year but already looking forward to our interviews.It is refreshing to see a happy,positive thread.We 4 love our new lives and opportunities too, so all still in the uk, Good luck the dream does come true

Sally
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:12 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Just a "heads up"

if, like me, you live in Joondalup is seems the process is this: you have the interview then in about 3 weeks you should get a letter from the Minister congratulating you on being accepted. There is then a 2 month wait before your details are passed to Joondalup. You will then receive a letter from Joondalup with the date of the ceremony, which is usually only a couple of weeks away.

So, for us the time period between being eligible to apply and our predicted ceremony date is going to be about 4 to 5 months.

A lot of this is to do with the fact that we applied on line - the slowest way by far.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
this is to do with the fact that we applied on line - the slowest way by far.
Thanks...

Whats the point of having an online option that is less efficient than the offline one? If it was a business... that channel would not be tennable. We are bringing our application to the interview... makes sense as you *have* to have the interview anyway.
Old Jun 1st 2005, 2:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks...

Whats the point of having an online option that is less efficient than the offline one? If it was a business... that channel would not be tennable. We are bringing our application to the interview... makes sense as you *have* to have the interview anyway.
A facility to 'apply online' doesn't make any sense if you have to be interviewed anyway (and submit paper documents).

It can make sense for those who live in regional Australia, as then an interview needs to be arranged at an Australia Post office.

But for those living in cities - the easiest/quickest way is to go to a DIMIA office with all documentation required, and apply on the spot. Either book an appointment for an interview, or turn up when the office is open (check the times). In the latter case you may have to wait some time, but as far as I'm aware they will see you.

Jeremy
Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Red face Re: 2 years in, citizenship interview

Well; it's our turn to say 2 years.

We have had no significant problems. The only bad thing was when my grandma (who I lived with whilst growing up) died 3 months after we arrived. Horrible time going back to the UK by myself to attend the funeral. Thank you if you are one of the ones who gave me support on this forum.

Catja's not been homesick at all. I did go through a point about 3-6 months in when I severely missed people... but at no time did I think of going back. In fact, when I was in the UK, attending my Gran's funeral, I could not wait to return to Brisbane. I felt a bit weird knowing that my other half and everything I own except for about 20 quid in a uk bank account was on the other side of the planet.

The fact is: We live here now, it *is* better here (lifestyle, excitement, options and (yes) the weather). I don't get paid as much but... its enough and I don't have asparations of grandure or anything.

We also own our own place which makes a big difference (we never had that in the UK).

When I get my Aussie passport I will be using it with pride and not bother renewing my UK one unless there is a good reason for me to do so. Australia is my home now. Catja agrees with this too.

As Joda from Star Wars would say:
Fortunate, we are.

X

congrats on the 2 years, and getting ready for citizenship
Old Jun 1st 2005, 4:56 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
In fact quite the contrary - the Citizenship Minister is very keen to see eligible PRs apply for citizenship. Especially those from Britain and New Zealand (many of them resident a very long time), who make up the lion's share of the 900,000 or so eligible permanent residents who have not yet taken out Australian citizenship.

Jeremy
We were very amused, whilst watching Desperate Housewives a couple of weeks ago, to see that there was even an expensive TV ad exhorting permanent residents to take up their rights to citizenship. I couldn't quite understand why the govt would pay for such ads - they don't appear to particularly gain anything by long term PRs becoming Aussie citizens. I'm sure a fair few Aussies threw their thongs at the TV when that ad came on.

Cheers

GLR

ps for those back in the UK - thongs are flip flops...
Old Jun 1st 2005, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by GLR
We were very amused, whilst watching Desperate Housewives a couple of weeks ago, to see that there was even an expensive TV ad exhorting permanent residents to take up their rights to citizenship. I couldn't quite understand why the govt would pay for such ads - they don't appear to particularly gain anything by long term PRs becoming Aussie citizens. I'm sure a fair few Aussies threw their thongs at the TV when that ad came on.

Cheers

GLR

ps for those back in the UK - thongs are flip flops...
It was a recommendation of the Australian Citizenship Council, and this campaign has taken place around mid year since 2001.

There's an Australian Citizenship Day as well - on September 17th.

The view of the Australian government is that it's better for Australia if long-term PRs formalise their commitment to Australia by becoming Australian citizens.

That's the reason why processing time is generally quite fast, as opposed to 1-2 years which is common in many overseas countries.

Jeremy
Old Jun 1st 2005, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Practice for tomorrow's interview:

Responsibilities: JOVD
J- Jury service
O- obey laws
V- vote
D- defend

Privileges: PEACH
P-passport
E-elect government
A-apply for reserved jobs (defence & public office jobs)
C-children abroad get citizenship by decent
H-help from Australian embassy whilst abroad

difficult to make a word out of J,O,V,D... but it sticks in my head anyway
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:02 pm
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Practice for tomorrow's interview:

Responsibilities: JOVD
J- Jury service
O- obey laws
V- vote
D- defend

Privileges: PEACH
P-passport
E-elect government
A-apply for reserved jobs (defence & public office jobs)
C-children abroad get citizenship by decent
H-help from Australian embassy whilst abroad

difficult to make a word out of J,O,V,D... but it sticks in my head anyway

Good luck with your interview.
Your post was lovely and posative about your experience so far - hopefully we will be doing a similar one in a few years time

Gillian
Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:18 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GLR
... I couldn't quite understand why the govt would pay for such ads - they don't appear to particularly gain anything by long term PRs becoming Aussie citizens....
They need more troops for Iraq

A.
PS: Good luck with the interview jwatsonoz.