Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 Year Assignment - scary!

2 Year Assignment - scary!

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Smidgemum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2 Year Assignment - scary!

Hi, I've never posted here before - in fact I only found this website over the weekend and this whole thing has really only come up in the last few weeks.

My story is this...my husband's work has offered him a 2 year secondment in Sydney (no flash allowances or anything unfortunately just a few basic extras like the flights!). We have decided to go for it (can't believe we are being this adventurous as we are very boring normally!)

We have 2 kids - my son is 5 and has been at fulltime school since January and he's settled in really well. My daughter is only 21 months so no school issues for her. We have a house here that we are planning on renting while we are out there.

I don't seem to have seen many stories or posts from people who are just in Oz temporarily, for a couple of years or so with jobs rather than travelling. I don't really have any specific questions besides wanting to know how you have found things - I guess that being somewhere for just a few years puts a different spin on how you look at things compared with someone who's there for good.

We are just at the beginning of all this...my husband only accepted the offer yesterday. I am finding this mega scary - am worried about what to do with our dog and whether my son will be able to get back into his UK school when we return (it is very oversubscribed).

Tell me we are doing this right thing....cold feet right now!!!

Cheers!:scared:
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcom to the site...............all I can say is live your life and enjoy. How many others do you know that will have been given a chance like this.

Go for it!!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Off2Oz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Too right - what a great opportunity.

Lots of luck.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

nibblo will become famous soon enoughnibblo will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum
All I can say is you have to take what your given and GO FOR IT - what an opportunity! - just see where the road takes you and as long as you are strong as a family you will be fine
Good luck
Nibblo
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Year Assignment - scary!

Originally posted by Smidgemum
Hi, I've never posted here before - in fact I only found this website over the weekend and this whole thing has really only come up in the last few weeks.

My story is this...my husband's work has offered him a 2 year secondment in Sydney (no flash allowances or anything unfortunately just a few basic extras like the flights!). We have decided to go for it (can't believe we are being this adventurous as we are very boring normally!)

We have 2 kids - my son is 5 and has been at fulltime school since January and he's settled in really well. My daughter is only 21 months so no school issues for her. We have a house here that we are planning on renting while we are out there.

I don't seem to have seen many stories or posts from people who are just in Oz temporarily, for a couple of years or so with jobs rather than travelling. I don't really have any specific questions besides wanting to know how you have found things - I guess that being somewhere for just a few years puts a different spin on how you look at things compared with someone who's there for good.

We are just at the beginning of all this...my husband only accepted the offer yesterday. I am finding this mega scary - am worried about what to do with our dog and whether my son will be able to get back into his UK school when we return (it is very oversubscribed).

Go for it girl............You'll never know what you missed.

What line of work is hubby in ?
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Smidgemum is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband works in accounting doing, believe it or not, expatriate tax!

Been offered a couple of secondments before but to the US (NY) which didn't really appeal at the time. I always said if we were going to move, then I would want to go somewhere that would be different to working in London and Sydney should definitely fit the bill!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 3:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it or you will always wonder.

Don't worry about what happens in two years time. Contract could be extended, you may decide to change jobs and stay etc etc. Def keep the house rented out but take the dog with you.

Good luck
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Temporary residents in NSW need to pay school fees for government schools - about AUD4.5k per child per year.

You should make sure your employer covers this.

You should also think about whether you want to apply for PR, and whether you're eligible or not. If eligible, and you extend your stay for another year or two, you could even possibly get Australian citizenship for the family.

Applying for PR may have an impact on some tax issues, such as Living Away from Home Allowance.

Jeremy

My husband works in accounting doing, believe it or not, expatriate tax!

Been offered a couple of secondments before but to the US (NY) which didn't really appeal at the time. I always said if we were going to move, then I would want to go somewhere that would be different to working in London and Sydney should definitely fit the bill!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:58 pm
wombat42

l don't understand what you find 'scary' about spending 2 years in a fantastic place such as Sydney. If you were spending 2 years in Iraq, Afganistan, or some third world African hell hole then l would understand why you are scared.

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:31 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Smidgemum

I have a similar background, though I applied for a job with a new employer who brought me out here on a temporary visa (4 years) and paid for flights and short term accommodation, shipping etc.

Also came here with a 5 yr old who had just finished his first term of 2nd year of schooling in UK (Year 1), and a 26 month old. We have been here now for 18 months. It's possible your husband and I even work for the same company (though I am a consultant, not an accountant).

Given the employer will sort this out quickly, and given the age of your eldest, you could get here in time for Christmas, in the middle of the 6 week school holidays, you eldest could then start school in the new year (end January) and may go into the first year of schooling here (given different start ages between UK and Oz). If so, he will be in a class full of kids also just starting school and should find it easy to make friends, you will be with mothers whose kids are just starting school and therefore should also make friends easily.

The easiest way to move to a new country is have an employer do it all for you, they may offer you one free flight home during your stay here and will repatriate you afterwards.

You will be eligible for Living Away from Home Allowance (LAFHA) which means your rent here is out of before tax income and you get additional food allowances, you will also be able to salary sacrifice things like a car which again will reduce your tax burden, your husband may know all about this.

If we do work for the same firm, I'll say hello to your husband when you're here and I'm next in Sydney.

PM me if you want

Last edited by jayr; Jun 23rd 2004 at 11:34 pm.