Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 User Broadband in OZ

2 User Broadband in OZ

Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

Default 2 User Broadband in OZ

Does anyone (BondiPom especially ) have any suggestions for a good Broadband provider in OZ that will allow 2 users simultaneously.

Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:31 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 User Broadband in OZ

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Does anyone (BondiPom especially ) have any suggestions for a good Broadband provider in OZ that will allow 2 users simultaneously.
www.swiftdsl.com.au

Sign up soon as they are releasing some new plans. You get the higher download limit at the old price when they change. I have gained 3Gbs for free.

Are you going wireless or wired?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
www.swiftdsl.com.au

Sign up soon as they are releasing some new plans. You get the higher download limit at the old price when they change. I have gained 3Gbs for free.

Are you going wireless or wired?
Can I have your opinions on wireless or wired, I have previously been concerned about the security issues of wireless.
Thanks

Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:42 am

Can I have your opinions on wireless or wired, I have previously been concerned about the security issues of wireless.
Thanks
When set up properly it is fine. Just use the basic encryption to prevent leachers. It can be hacked but it would take some effort and I doubt your data is worth the effort. The billion 743GE comes recommended. Try and get a package with some cards. There is a list of suppliers on www.billion.com.au .

I use the wired 741GEV2 and have had no issues.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:46 am
WBB

i have a wireless network at home and i could not live without it now, email from the back garden etc seriously though i could not go back to a wired set up.

i have a linksys router and card and i would recommend them.

do not worry about the security, use a 32 bit encryption key and the chances of someone bothering to sit outside your house with a laptop hacking you are minimal.

Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by WBB
do not worry about the security, use a 32 bit encryption key and the chances of someone bothering to sit outside your house with a laptop hacking you are minimal.
You don't know my history ! I'll have to consider that carefully.

Old Mar 7th 2004, 1:03 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

We use IInet and no problems so far. They get good reviews on the internet forums.

Jane
Old Mar 7th 2004, 1:09 am

Originally posted by JaneandJim
We use IInet and no problems so far. They get good reviews on the internet forums.

Jane
They do have a good reputation.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We use iinet too and have had no problems. We have five computers connected to their ADSL and at weekends when the kids are on the internet and hubby is downloading music at the same time, it seems to cope ok! We are protected by a firewall and have a static ip address. Can't tell you more than that, hubby set it all up, I just use it!
Old Mar 7th 2004, 5:24 am

It looks like the ACCC are about to start hammering Telstra on broadband so I would avoid lengthy contracts over 6 months.

My only regret is going 256/64 rather than 512/128. I may upgrade later on though.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

My one gripe about living on the Sunny Coast is there is no broadband around here yet. And they have the cheek to charge you for the local calls for the dial up!
Old Mar 7th 2004, 8:51 pm

You have to live within 4kms of a telstra exchange that is broad band enabled to get ADSL. Either that or live in a Foxtel or Optus cabled area.

At the moment sub exchanges are not broadband enabled and certain areas are wired in a manner to make broadband impossible.