Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 Traffic infringements in Victoria

2 Traffic infringements in Victoria

Old May 15th 2009, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default 2 Traffic infringements in Victoria

Been back 7 weeks since a reccie trip to Melbourne and got an unpleasant surprise through the letterbox. 2 traffic infringements of $142 each!! We'd hired a car while out there you see. The fines are for driving at 109km/h and 106 km/h in 100 km/h zones but the worst of it is that they are 19 mins apart!

Does anyone have any experience of this and reckon I have a chance by appealing? Am hoping at least 1 gets quashed. Even thought of just ignoring them but when we eventually move to Oz am sure the fines probably won't have disappeared ;-)

Any advice would be much appreciated
Old May 15th 2009, 9:23 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Traffic infringements in Victoria

Originally Posted by itxrd
Been back 7 weeks since a reccie trip to Melbourne and got an unpleasant surprise through the letterbox. 2 traffic infringements of $142 each!! We'd hired a car while out there you see. The fines are for driving at 109km/h and 106 km/h in 100 km/h zones but the worst of it is that they are 19 mins apart!

Does anyone have any experience of this and reckon I have a chance by appealing? Am hoping at least 1 gets quashed. Even thought of just ignoring them but when we eventually move to Oz am sure the fines probably won't have disappeared ;-)

Don't know if they are kept on record but usually it is pretty much a case of cop it sweet, although if you have the time and expense of fighting it in court, as it has been known for people to overturn the fines. They shouldn't appear against your UK licence, however you maybe kept on the records of the car hire industry as a fine defaulter, if not paid, which may hamper accessiblity to hire cars, but again I'm not sure.

Oh, BTW, I read in a newspaper article several years ago, that a woman taking her kids to school in Melbourne racked up enough points in one day in speedtraps (3)to receive a letter asking for her to show cause why her licence shouldn't be suspended. She then proceeded to whinge on a crappy current affairs tv show about her treatment.

Last edited by The Bloke; May 15th 2009 at 9:25 pm.
Old May 15th 2009, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Tell the money making gits to get stuffed, but it probably wont get you anywhere!
Old May 15th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Victoria is well known for being very savage when it comes to speeding fines. If you intend to come back to Australia, then I would just cop the fines. If you do not intend to return, then I would ignore the fines.

Barney
Old May 16th 2009, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

After reading on this or another forum, you can write to vic roads, fess up to the offence and they reduce the first offence to a warning.

I did this 3 months after I actually paid the fine and got a demerit point. They removed the point and refunded the fee. Said I was new and keeping up with traffic, otherwise get tailgated - but have learnt my lesson and although it is a challenge, keep to limits.

If you have time left to pay, just try the letter first (you should be able to pay online at the last minute).

Might be a problem with 2 offences, but you never know seeing as they were so close together
Old May 17th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by POW148
Victoria is well known for being very savage when it comes to speeding fines. If you intend to come back to Australia, then I would just cop the fines. If you do not intend to return, then I would ignore the fines.

Barney
Thanks so much for all of your comments. I have long enough to write to them and see what they say so will try that. Will take carlaps advice on keeping up with traffic ;-)

Will let you all know how it goes. Sure does put you off melbourne. We even got a parking ticket while out there (not going to pay that) + the tolls were a pain (esp as you have to call them and pay it). Seems like they have a money making scheme all set up there.

- Rom the tight fisted Indian ;-)
Old May 17th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Why the hell would they let you off?

Could always run off to Brazil - become an international fellon.

Just pay up and don't waste peoples time
Old May 18th 2009, 1:19 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

We had something similar - dh appealed against ours as he had set the car on cruise control at the speed limit, so the car shouldn't have gone over it. The other thing was that the sat nav bleeps when you go over the limit and he wasn't aware that he had. I think that one of our was only 6 km/h over the speed limit so he thought that there was room for error on their speed measurement (!).

Surprisingly he got a letter back with a "warning" and them saying that they wouldn't take it any further this time, no penalty to pay & no points.

Old May 18th 2009, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by K14
We had something similar - dh appealed against ours as he had set the car on cruise control at the speed limit, so the car shouldn't have gone over it. The other thing was that the sat nav bleeps when you go over the limit and he wasn't aware that he had. I think that one of our was only 6 km/h over the speed limit so he thought that there was room for error on their speed measurement (!).

Surprisingly he got a letter back with a "warning" and them saying that they wouldn't take it any further this time, no penalty to pay & no points.

Thanks K14. There you go Carslap. 2 people here have said they had theirs overturned and wouldn't be surprised if I do thanks to peoples advice here.

So take your whinging and stop wasting our time ;-)
Old May 18th 2009, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If you gave the car hire firm a credit card when you hired the car it's possible the car hire firm will charge you for the tickets anyway.
Old May 18th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks K14. There you go Martin H. 2 people here have said they had theirs overturned and wouldn't be surprised if I do thanks to peoples advice here.

So take your whinging and stop wasting our time ;-)
Oops, I meant there you go MartinH. Sorry Carlap!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Guys. Got a response today to my letter

Basically they wouldn't rescind one of them as 'I am satisfied the alleged offence was committed'. However they took away one of them as

'It is current policy that where multiple detections occur on the freeway system within a 24 hr period, only one infringementwill be proceeded with...'

So I got 1 taken off. You'd think the retards would realise this before issuing the tickets but there you go

Re. Hertz they are the pits! For 2 fines they have now added 3 admin charges of $33 each. 3!! I have written to them. All this is hard work but it'll be worth it when I save some money from these money grabbing leeches

Over and out!!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

INDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really niceINDOAUS is just really nice

Best of luck with the appeal.
However I am just wondering, could unpaid speeding fine be recorded in your police record and have a negative effect in your visa application?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by INDOAUS
Best of luck with the appeal.
However I am just wondering, could unpaid speeding fine be recorded in your police record and have a negative effect in your visa application?
Have appealed already and got the one taken off. The tight gits wouldn't take the other one off though. Or maybe its me thats the tight one ;-)

Re visa I already have one. I don't want any hassle when I do go to Oz though so I'll pay it pronto
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K14

Word of warning - there is no allowance for error here and you can get done for speeding if they record you as being 1km over the limit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.