Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2 questions - buying car and flight baggage

2 questions - buying car and flight baggage

Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Question 2 questions - buying car and flight baggage

2 quick questions - when buying a car in Australia on arrival, do you have to have an Australian license? If not, what forms of ID do you need? I won't have a lease agreement by then as will be living with family for a bit.

When flying out of Heathrow, has anyone (since August 10th) successfully taken one hand baggage as well as a laptop in a separate bag? I called Malaysia (who I am flying with) and they said it would be fine, but on the Heathrow website it states you can only take one bag and suggests the laptop should fit in this bag??
Old Sep 14th 2006, 10:31 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 questions - buying car and flight baggage

Originally Posted by sparkley23
2 quick questions - when buying a car in Australia on arrival, do you have to have an Australian license? If not, what forms of ID do you need? I won't have a lease agreement by then as will be living with family for a bit.
which state are you moving to? as sure differ state to state. New or 2nd hand (that may make difference too)
we bought new in NSW - driving licence needed to have address with my name on it. Was not acceptable for short term rental address with OH name on it (even though married etc), so got rental place to do one with my name.

Car dealer wanted copy of my licence to register the car before I could pick it up.

Maybe open a bank a/c ASAP and get them to post letter to family you are staying with. Can get medicare card with AFAIR just the passport (maybe another UK ID), and in turn gives another piece of ID for bank/other places
Old Sep 15th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 2 questions - buying car and flight baggage

Ive already got a bank account opened. Moving to Brisbane.

Thinking I may just spend the first day swotting up on my theory test then take it and try and get it out of the way and then counts as another piece of ID for registering for everything else like Medicare. Knowing my luck I'll end up spending the first week at the testing centre tho doing lots of retakes!