Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2/5years residency obligations? Husband an Aussie citizen.

2/5years residency obligations? Husband an Aussie citizen.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

mb_bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2/5years residency obligations? Husband an Aussie citizen.

Hello,

My husband in an Australian Citizen, and I a PR. I am not a PR through sponsorship. I have been a PR and residing in Australia for the past 7 years. Next year, my husband will be transferring to Canada indefinitely, and I of course will be going. In many countries, for the sake of meeting residency requirements (for PR's), time outside of that country can be counted if, the PR is with their spouse who is a citizen of that particular country.

For example, if a lady who is a PR of Canada, and her husband who is a Canadian citizen, go to England for 4 years, she would have been outside Canada longer than the maximum period allowed for a PR (ie. 3/5 yrs outside Canada), and under normal circumstances she would lose her Canadian PR. However, because she is with her husband who is a Canadian citizen, that time will be counted as time in Canada.

Do the same rules apply in Australia?

Many thanks for your help.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Perth Helena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2/5years residency obligations? Husband an Aussie citizen.

Originally posted by mb_bound:
Hello,

My husband in an Australian Citizen, and I a PR. I am not a PR through sponsorship. I have been a PR and residing in Australia for the past 7 years. Next year, my husband will be transferring to Canada indefinitely, and I of course will be going. In many countries, for the sake of meeting residency requirements (for PR's), time outside of that country can be counted if, the PR is with their spouse who is a citizen of that particular country.
<snip>
Well, whatever the rules are, why not apply for Aussie citizenship now? From what I can see, you've satisfied the residency requirements. Is it because you would lose whatever citizenship you do have? If not, then get the Aussie citizenship, then when you've satisfied the residency requirements in Canada, get Canadian citizenship too.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 3:51 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mb_bound:
Hello,

For example, if a lady who is a PR of Canada, and her husband who is a Canadian citizen, go to England for 4 years, she would have been outside Canada longer than the maximum period allowed for a PR (ie. 3/5 yrs outside Canada), and under normal circumstances she would lose her Canadian PR. However, because she is with her husband who is a Canadian citizen, that time will be counted as time in Canada.

Do the same rules apply in Australia?

Many thanks for your help.
You can renew PR visa on passport its called exit visa will give you 5years to return , if you do not they will not let you back in.Or do as Helena says become an Aussie on paper it will not hurt to much($120) , they will even bring a few of you together for a drink and snacks and you even get to sing a silly song can not remember the words.
Old Sep 5th 2002, 11:15 am
Jaj

The 2/5 requirement refers to days physically in Australia.

However, if you do not meet the 2/5 requirement you may still qualify for an RRV if
you have 'personal, employment, cultural, or business' ties to Australia. Being
married to an Australian spouse would be one of these - whether it's enough to keep
your PR if you live in Canada long term is an open question.

As Helena says, why not get Australian citizenship? This is one thing you won't be
able to get while living abroad.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:09:46 +0000, Perth Helena <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by mb_bound:
    >> Hello,
    >> My husband in an Australian Citizen, and I a PR. I am not a PR through
    >> sponsorship. I have been a PR and residing in Australia for the past 7 years. Next
    >> year, my husband will be transferring to Canada indefinitely, and I of course will
    >> be going. In many countries, for the sake of meeting residency requirements (for
    >> PR's), time outside of that country can be counted if, the PR is with their spouse
    >> who is a citizen of that particular country.
    >Well, whatever the rules are, why not apply for Aussie citizenship now? From what I
    >can see, you've satisfied the residency requirements. Is it because you would lose
    >whatever citizenship you do have? If not, then get the Aussie citizenship, then when
    >you've satisfied the residency requirements in Canada, get Canadian citizenship too.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 5th 2002, 11:40 am
Jaj

PS Once you have been outside Australia for more than 5 years it becomes a lot
harder to get an RRV. Your spouse could in the worst case scenario sponsor you
back to Australia, but things can go wrong there too (he could die, or you could
break up ...)

There are stories of people who abandon PR in countries like Australia or Canada,
find that things don't work out in their new country, and if they've lost their PR
find they have to go back to their home country.

Jeremy

>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:15:12 GMT, [email protected] (JAJ) wrote: The 2/5
    >requirement refers to days physically in Australia.
    >However, if you do not meet the 2/5 requirement you may still qualify for an RRV if
    >you have 'personal, employment, cultural, or business' ties to Australia. Being
    >married to an Australian spouse would be one of these - whether it's enough to keep
    >your PR if you live in Canada long term is an open question.
    >As Helena says, why not get Australian citizenship? This is one thing you won't be
    >able to get while living abroad.
    >Jeremy
    >>On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 03:09:46 +0000, Perth Helena <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Originally posted by mb_bound:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> My husband in an Australian Citizen, and I a PR. I am not a PR through
    >>> sponsorship. I have been a PR and residing in Australia for the past 7 years.
    >>> Next year, my husband will be transferring to Canada indefinitely, and I of
    >>> course will be going. In many countries, for the sake of meeting residency
    >>> requirements (for PR's), time outside of that country can be counted if, the PR
    >>> is with their spouse who is a citizen of that particular country.
    >>Well, whatever the rules are, why not apply for Aussie citizenship now? From what I
    >>can see, you've satisfied the residency requirements. Is it because you would lose
    >>whatever citizenship you do have? If not, then get the Aussie citizenship, then
    >>when you've satisfied the residency requirements in Canada, get Canadian
    >>citizenship too.
    >>--
    >>Posted via http://britishexpats.com