1st time voters

Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st time voters

New to this situation so was wondering as we have friends from the Northside of Brissy staying down at our house for the weekend (we're going to Straddie for the day on Saturday) is it at all possible for them to vote at one of our polling booths down this way or is it mandatory to vote in the suburb/ constituency you live in ? Or better still could we all vote over at Straddie when we get there ?

Many thanx
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st time voters

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
New to this situation so was wondering as we have friends from the Northside of Brissy staying down at our house for the weekend (we're going to Straddie for the day on Saturday) is it at all possible for them to vote at one of our polling booths down this way or is it mandatory to vote in the suburb/ constituency you live in ? Or better still could we all vote over at Straddie when we get there ?

Many thanx
Yes they can vote at any polling booth. If its not in their own electorate they can cast an absent vote. alternatively, you can cast an early vote at any nominated early voting venue. Not sure there will be too many polling booths on Straddie though!

Last edited by sassie; Aug 17th 2010 at 11:51 am.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember they close the polls earlier here than in the UK.

You won't be able to nip in after a few in the pub
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Remember they close the polls earlier here than in the UK.

You won't be able to nip in after a few in the pub
Its a real problem for some people -we were talking about it today. anyone on a day shift for us doesn't get the chance to vote - 12 hour shift, 6 till 6.30, no chance to get to a polling station and unless you can be sure in advance and get a postal vote you've had it.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 17th 2010 at 12:52 pm.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a real problem for some people -w ewere talking about it today. anyone on a day shift for us doesn't get the chance to vote - 12 hour shift, 6 till 6.30, no chance to get to a polling station and unless you can be sure in advance and get a postal vote you've had it.
You can pre-vote as well. I did it on Monday as I'll be away on the day.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

What I thought was funny from the last election was that they called the winner before the WA polls had closed.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What I thought was funny from the last election was that they called the winner before the WA polls had closed.
Just says it all really! I am soooo glad I'm only PR!
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just says it all really! I am soooo glad I'm only PR!
That's the problem of parliamentary democracy.

The other odd thing about the last election was that Vic didn't feature at all. It seems to be the land of safe seats. I think only 1 possibly 2 seats changed hands.

Most of the action seemed to be in Qld. I presume that they'll all be switching back as Queenslanders don't like Victorians being in charge. They'd rather have one of their own screw things up
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:43 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I really missed the whole concept of lining up the candidates and reading out the respective counts at the end of the count. The predicted winner based on votes cast so far is much less dramatic than the UK, and you don't get that 'Portillo moment' when a heavyweight loses their seat.

I was looking forward to watching John Howard lose his seat, and it just never really happened in a dramatic and exciting way

S
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I really missed the whole concept of lining up the candidates and reading out the respective counts at the end of the count. The predicted winner based on votes cast so far is much less dramatic than the UK, and you don't get that 'Portillo moment' when a heavyweight loses their seat.

I was looking forward to watching John Howard lose his seat, and it just never really happened in a dramatic and exciting way

S
I agree.

I guess the difference is because they release numbers as the count goes on. So they will show who's in the lead after (say) 60% of the votes have been counted. Whereas in the UK it's a complete surprise.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:28 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The predicted winner based on votes cast so far is much less dramatic than the UK, and you don't get that 'Portillo moment' when a heavyweight loses their seat.
Yup...I'd have loved to have seen Howard standing up there losing his seat...a half hearted concession speech the next day doesn't really cut it!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If one is in a safe seat like ours you can do what you like it will be the same outcome

Victoria is definitely more settled and do not vote on headlines hence not much change.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks i shall pass on the info