Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Pay for schooling?

Pay for schooling?

Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pay for schooling?

I am going to be coming out to Oz on a 457 sponsorship visa. I have 2 children and as I understand it I will have to pay for their schooling until we become permanent residents.

Is this correct and how long do I have to wait to apply for permanent residency?
Thanks
Helen
Old Nov 14th 2007, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pay for schooling?

Originally Posted by Helen Randle
I am going to be coming out to Oz on a 457 sponsorship visa. I have 2 children and as I understand it I will have to pay for their schooling until we become permanent residents.

Is this correct and how long do I have to wait to apply for permanent residency?
Thanks
Helen
Hi Helen, I think all states have different rules, I believe NSW you have to pay but here in Queensland you don't. Maybe somebody more informed will put me right!
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Ian.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really niceIan.C.Williams is just really nice

Hi
Unfortunately in NSW you do have to pay, so hopefully financially you are not heading here, if you are speak to your employer and get them to assist ( mine coughed up 50%)
Ian
Old Nov 14th 2007, 11:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW it's correct - A$4,500 per child per year, approximately.

You can apply for permanent residence any time if you qualify. Have you looked into getting permanent residence before you leave? Why is your employer not sponsoring you for a migration visa?
Old Nov 15th 2007, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
In NSW it's correct - A$4,500 per child per year, approximately.

You can apply for permanent residence any time if you qualify. Have you looked into getting permanent residence before you leave? Why is your employer not sponsoring you for a migration visa?
I need to find out if they will sponsor me for a migration visa, looking on the immigration website i may not qualify. I'm a nurse and have loads of experience but have been off for 4 yrs having kids, i'm hoping my future sponsor - a friend aswell(!) will be able to wangle it......
Old Nov 15th 2007, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

I need to find out if they will sponsor me for a migration visa, looking on the immigration website i may not qualify. I'm a nurse and have loads of experience but have been off for 4 yrs having kids, i'm hoping my future sponsor - a friend aswell(!) will be able to wangle it......

Come to Queensland! esp FNQ, my OH is a newly qualified nurse....no exp,...we (she...I've only been over here a week! has worked for Cairns Base Hosp for about 4 months & they have deemed this sufficient for us to go to a "ENS Permanent Residency" Visa with no problems And there are no school charges!

Last edited by windog; Nov 15th 2007 at 11:16 am. Reason: cos I'm a prat!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:12 pm
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

Just another reason for moving to Queensland!!!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windog
Come to Queensland! esp FNQ, my OH is a newly qualified nurse....no exp,...we (she...I've only been over here a week! has worked for Cairns Base Hosp for about 4 months & they have deemed this sufficient for us to go to a "ENS Permanent Residency" Visa with no problems And there are no school charges!
There is also the option of RSMS - no work experience needed for that.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is also the option of RSMS - no work experience needed for that.
At the risk of "hi-jacking" this thread JAJ is there a reason Cairns Hosp would use the ENS visa rather than the RSMS...they told us they only use the RSMS for "over 45's" ? Its not a problem to us which they use (well I havent found one!) but I would have thought the hospital would have been better of using the RSMS
Old Nov 16th 2007, 6:49 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

we're in Canberra but for what it's worth.........

we're on a 457 and it's the same price to send our kids to a government school as it is one of the be independent schools in canberra as we are charged as overseas students, which is $10,000

We have sent our children to a private religious school which is only $4500 in comparison with no international fees added on top. Turns out we love the school, we had a good feeling when we went around.

good luck
Carmel
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:16 am
6 months in....

lolobolo is an unknown quantity at this point

we are paying school fees for 2 kids $4500 per year on top of all supplies etc.
This will be refunded when our permanent residency is granted- hopefully only a few weeks away now.
I would definatley look into the independent religious school.
We will be moving our eldest into n independent fee paying school in January, although she loves her school we feel that for her last two years she will bebfeit from a more academic environment.
I didnt really understand the school system properley before we came out, I woud recommend looking at all your options eg selective schools, independent schools and state schools and be really clear about your choices.

Is it NSW you are coming to?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by windog
At the risk of "hi-jacking" this thread JAJ is there a reason Cairns Hosp would use the ENS visa rather than the RSMS...they told us they only use the RSMS for "over 45's" ? Its not a problem to us which they use (well I havent found one!) but I would have thought the hospital would have been better of using the RSMS
ENS is also an option in Cairns, and it's actually a simpler visa in some instances than RSMS.

If you can get an ENS then that's great, go for it. There is scope for flexibility on the work experience requirement with ENS too.

But RSMS does bypass the work experience need completely. The complication with RSMS is that a regional certifying body has to sign off the application and some are easier to deal with than others.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Originally Posted by carmele
we're in Canberra but for what it's worth.........

we're on a 457 and it's the same price to send our kids to a government school as it is one of the be independent schools in canberra as we are charged as overseas students, which is $10,000

We have sent our children to a private religious school which is only $4500 in comparison with no international fees added on top. Turns out we love the school, we had a good feeling when we went around.

good luck
Carmel
Hi Carmel

How did you manage that? We are arriving in Canberra in January on the 496 visa as temp residents for 2 years. We thought that we could send our son to a private religious school and only pay around $5000 per year but they contacted the education authority who has stated that wherever we send him (anywhere in Oz) we will have to pay $12500 as an international student! Well, we are definately coming over as house sold, flights booked etc but not quite sure what we will do on education front as we cannot afford full fees when neither of us has a job lined up in Oz! Which school do your children go to? Be grateful for any info you can give me to help my cause.

Helen