Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st time homebuyers

Wikiposts

1st time homebuyers

Old Apr 30th 2003, 12:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default 1st time homebuyers

Does anyone know if its still possible to get the $7000 dollar first time home buyer grant?

My wife is an Aussie, and i will soon hopfully have the spouse visa. I can't really find a definate yes/no answer anywhere on the web.

CHeers

Pete.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

Andrew P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st time homebuyers

Hi,

The short answer is yes the A$7000 is still available to first time home buyers, for full details have a look at this website:

www.firsthome.gov.au
Old Apr 30th 2003, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Yes thats right, however if your wife has claimed this before as she is an Aussie then no, if she has then you could put the new house in your name only. If she has not claimed it before then no worries mate...

We are waiting for our title deed to come thru so we can claim ours, it takes about 6 weeks from the date of settlement.

Love Jo xx
Old Apr 30th 2003, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Does anyone know if its still possible to get the $7000 dollar first time home buyer grant?

My wife is an Aussie, and i will soon hopfully have the spouse visa. I can't really find a definate yes/no answer anywhere on the web.

CHeers

Pete.
Hey Pete

I'm an Aussie too (parents were 10 pound poms in the 60's) and applied for hubbys spouse visa beginning of November 2002, when did you file and have you heard anything yet? My six month processing time is almost up and we are still waiting!

Also this grant......they give you this money or is it a loan?

Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2003, 5:16 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hey!! My parents were 10 pound poms in the 60's too!!! got my husband to Perth (4/3/03) on a spouse visa. We did the application ourselves and 'front end loaded' it, which meant that we took the application to London and had an interview and he was given a permanent residency visa in half an hour!!! Took me about 3 months to prepare the paper work though!!!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by janeyray
Hey!! My parents were 10 pound poms in the 60's too!!! got my husband to Perth (4/3/03) on a spouse visa. We did the application ourselves and 'front end loaded' it, which meant that we took the application to London and had an interview and he was given a permanent residency visa in half an hour!!! Took me about 3 months to prepare the paper work though!!!

Hi there

Yeah, it took ages getting all the paperwork together and as I only found this site recently I had no idea about front end loading!! Oh well, hopefully the visa will arrive soon - I'm hoping we will be out of Florida by Xmas at the latest.

We are also heading for Perth. Do you live north or south of Perth? We are thinking of Bunbury area, mostly due to the cost of housing being too high nearer the city. Any tips would be appreciated! Good luck to you and your family.

Wannaby Wallaby.........still waiting, zzzzz
Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:41 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

CHeers

Pete.
I think that you'll find as well that if you buy new then it doubles

Perry
Old Apr 30th 2003, 7:05 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Thanks guys.

Wannabewallaby,

We lodged my application at the beginning of march to the australian high comission in london. About 4 weeks later we got a letter asking to have meds and a police check done.

Got the meds tomorrow and i am picking up the police check on saturday. Will post it all off monday hopfully....

Have you been asked for meds yet?

And the home buyers grant is for keeps as far as i can work out.

Anyone know how long it all takes at the high comission london before we might get a reply

Cheers

Pete.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by kentcoast
I think that you'll find as well that if you buy new then it doubles

Perry
Not any more it don't. They reduced it to $10,00 and then just the basic $7,000.

Matt & Jo

If his wife has every owned a house in Australia it means she is ineligable (she needn't have even got the grant). Just owning a house in your name in Australia disqualifies you. The magic word is Australia, as you can have owned or own numerous houses anywhere else and still be eligable for the grant.
Old May 1st 2003, 12:32 am
A Male Member

Neither of us have owned before anywhere.....we are mere spring chickens, who have been squandering money on rent for the past 3 years...

Looks like we should be able to get the grant then with any luck !
Old May 1st 2003, 12:40 am
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news about the $7000, what with the exchange rate dropping and the house market here on it's way down. Perhaps we'll have enough to buy a house after all without selling the children for medical experimentation.

Hoping to be in Adelaide sometime in September.....
Old May 1st 2003, 1:27 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the first property applies to Investment properties that have never been lived in ?
S
Old May 1st 2003, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys.

Wannabewallaby,

We lodged my application at the beginning of march to the australian high comission in london. About 4 weeks later we got a letter asking to have meds and a police check done.

Got the meds tomorrow and i am picking up the police check on saturday. Will post it all off monday hopfully....

Have you been asked for meds yet?

And the home buyers grant is for keeps as far as i can work out.

Anyone know how long it all takes at the high comission london before we might get a reply

Cheers

Pete.
Hey Pete

Yeah, meds requested over Xmas and sent back first week of Feb - nothing since....aarrgghh! We were quoted 4-6 months processing time and thats almost up, what are they doing in Washington?????

Good luck with yours.

Wannabe Wallaby
Old May 1st 2003, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Snitzy
Does anyone know if the first property applies to Investment properties that have never been lived in ?
S
Not too sure what you mean but

If you already own an investment property or any property in Australia and it's in your name your stuffed.

If you mean can you use it to buy an investment property, the rule is you must live in for 12 months, but then their is nothing stopping you from renting or selling. If you rent or sell before the first 12 months is up and they find out they will want their money back.

This is my understanding anyway.
Old May 2nd 2003, 1:17 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.
I actually brought an Investment property in Melb last year before I got my PR visas so couldn't claim rebate then but can I claim it when I get there or if I don't move into it and buy another place to live in can I claim one then ?
Cheers
S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.