Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Speeding Fine in 12 years

1st Speeding Fine in 12 years

Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:49 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: 1st Speeding Fine in 12 years

Originally Posted by Wol
Speed rarely *causes* an accident
I'd even go so far as to say *not speeding* causes lots of accidents as drivers who would otherwise concentrate on what they are doing will quite happily multitask at slower speeds and concentrate unreasonably on distrations like conversation, that song on the radio, stopping the kids from fighting in the back, that hot girl at the bus stop, wasn't there something I needed to get from the shops on the way home? did I remember to download the lastest episode of True Blood? oh CRAP theres a split head squashed on my windscreen (good job I wasnt speeding or I'd be in trouble now)!!!!

(I've had plenty of problems with inattentive drivers do things to risk my life on the roadand I frequently take evasive action for my own safety from drivers doing legals speeds - I've almost NEVER felt threatened by someone exceeding the speed limit)

Last edited by DadAgain; Jul 26th 2010 at 3:52 am.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:51 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Speed rarely *causes* an accident (not talking about hooning at 150 in a 50 limit): it obviously increases the injury/death result of an accident.

The RTA is such an unaccountable mafia that common sense plays no part in the road rules enforcement here. Whatever you say about the UK or US police, they do use their discretion when it's justified.
As always, with any Oz government department, if you ask them to clarify and they don't know, they will always say No!!!
Common sense is illegal apparently!!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:35 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

I got my first ever speeding fine in March been driving 19 years. Gutted they are so much more keen over here and its so hard when the signs are constantly changing.

Got to be so careful in school holidays here in QLD as they double the points too.

The law is the law and I am now much more careful driving below the limit to ensure I dont get anymore points or fines

Jo
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:02 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joh117
Got to be so careful in school holidays here in QLD as they double the points too.
wrong - a thats NSW thing - and if you get pinged in NSW but have a QLD licence you'll have to pay the NSW fine - but get the points allocated by QLD.

Hence when I got pulled up doing 111kmh in a 100kmh at Easter in NSW I thought I was going to get 6 points (>10kmh over + '2for1multibuy'). Turns out the points were allocated by QLD so I got 1 point (<13kmh over - no holiday special offers). (still cost me $200 )
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kelli28
Holy crap if I had a Porsche I would be lucky if I still had my licence after 2 weeks, never mind only having 1 fine in 12yrs!
Well done you have more self control than I do.
We have a few cars, all pretty decent. I'll be damned if I'm going to hand any of them over for 28 days for using them as they should be used. I take a couple of them out to Barbagallo's Race Track every now and then.
Work shipped us back to Aberdeen a few years ago and I took the Porsche with us, I was only there for 2 years but out of 12 years of ownership of the car that was the best time. Single lane back roads on a summers night, even at 60 - 70 MPH it was great.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:46 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Some of you might like to compare the construction and use (motor vehicles) regulations of the UK and Australia regarding speedometer accuracy. This applies to Australian vehicles pre 2006. Since then, the regulations are the same in both countries.

As simply as I can: United Kingdom vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception.

So in other words, if your speedo in the UK shows 60 mph, that should be the maximum speed that you are doing though you may be going as slowly as 54 mph. These regs have been in place since 1988 in the UK.

However, here in dear old Stralia - at least in Victoria, this level of accuracy has only been in the regs since 2006. Prior to that, your speedo when showing 100 kph, could mean that you are actually doing 104 kph. (Plus 4% was allowable until 2006).

Other states may well be different but just bear in mind that in an older car here, you may well be doing more than your indicated speed.

Bearing in mind that there is almost zero tolerance on speeding now - I know someone in Vic who was done for 103 kph, you may want to read the rest of it here.

The regs and legal advice relate to Victoria ONLY.

For more info, please read here.

http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/speedos.html
Old Jul 29th 2010, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Speed rarely *causes* an accident (not talking about hooning at 150 in a 50 limit): it obviously increases the injury/death result of an accident.

The RTA is such an unaccountable mafia that common sense plays no part in the road rules enforcement here. Whatever you say about the UK or US police, they do use their discretion when it's justified.
I've had evidence to suggest that both NSW RTA and VICroads can waive fines in some circumstances. I just can't remember the details.

Personally, NSW police were good to me when I had been here a week.

My wife got off about a year ago after pleading an excuse. She did mention she was married to a CFA firefighter and that there had been pressures over bushfires relating to her predicament.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Some of you might like to compare the construction and use (motor vehicles) regulations of the UK and Australia regarding speedometer accuracy. This applies to Australian vehicles pre 2006. Since then, the regulations are the same in both countries.

As simply as I can: United Kingdom vehicle construction and use regulations require a vehicle speedometer accuracy to be in the range of -0->+10%. The implications are that it must never under-read - for obvious reasons - but may over-read. As the cost of manufacturing a speedometer with -0% error would be very costly they all over-read by a few percent without exception.

So in other words, if your speedo in the UK shows 60 mph, that should be the maximum speed that you are doing though you may be going as slowly as 54 mph. These regs have been in place since 1988 in the UK.

However, here in dear old Stralia - at least in Victoria, this level of accuracy has only been in the regs since 2006. Prior to that, your speedo when showing 100 kph, could mean that you are actually doing 104 kph. (Plus 4% was allowable until 2006).

Other states may well be different but just bear in mind that in an older car here, you may well be doing more than your indicated speed.

Bearing in mind that there is almost zero tolerance on speeding now - I know someone in Vic who was done for 103 kph, you may want to read the rest of it here.

The regs and legal advice relate to Victoria ONLY.

For more info, please read here.

http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/speedos.html
I check all our vehicles (cars and motorbikes) speedos against a GPS so I know what the true speeds are at the 10kph or 10mph intervals.

UK ones are mostly 4mph under the speedo reading.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 1:52 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I check all our vehicles (cars and motorbikes) speedos against a GPS so I know what the true speeds are at the 10kph or 10mph intervals.

but us poor peasant farmers in the western district dont be avin gps
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco

My car is 2kph under at 100 or 110. But I've noticed the margin gets bigger at lower speeds. I reckon it's 4kph lower at 40kph.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
My car is 2kph under at 100 or 110. But I've noticed the margin gets bigger at lower speeds. I reckon it's 4kph lower at 40kph.
Yeah it does vary with the speed you are going. So I make sure I know what the main speed intervals are to be safe.

On my car the margin gets slightly bigger the faster I go and drops off to no error below 20mph.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 6:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
but us poor peasant farmers in the western district dont be avin gps
Ther r sines evry so offen postid five killometers apart wot let yu mesure the accricy of yur speidometre for free. If yu can reed <g>.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:21 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Ther r sines evry so offen postid five killometers apart wot let yu mesure the accricy of yur speidometre for free. If yu can reed <g>.
I think that's a NSW thing. I've seen them there but not in Vic. However Vic does have a few electronic thingies (that are not speed cameras) that tell you how fast they think you're going. There's one on the Hume just south of the border.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:03 pm
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Me and Mrs LL spent the night in Fremantle for a wedding reception, to make the event a wee bit better we went in the Porsche, with the top down.
Driving home today on Roe Highway I got zapped at (I think) 87Km in an 80Km zone. Couldn't believe it as the speed signs were so confusing I thought I was still in a 100Km zone. I understand in WA the speeding convictions can take months to come through, but if this one does I'll be mightily p*ssed off.
If you had put 20 bucks in a jar each year to cover for this sort of thing you would be well ahead.

I only ever got a camera offence twice in the Uk. The cops if they stop you in UK usually let you off.

Here in SA the speed limits and tolerances are a lot slower and the traffic cops are total ar$eh*les I've been done 6 times in 6 years. It makes it difficult to get around in a hurray. I was in UK two weeks ago and hired a car and shat myself the traffic was so fast!