Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st posting! Adelaide.

1st posting! Adelaide.

Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st posting! Adelaide.

Originally Posted by liz1515
Hello all,

This is our first post My husband & I have just returned from a 8 week holiday - 4 weeks in Oz & 4 weeks in NZ -an amazing journey!
It was a fact finding tour to help us decide which country to emigrate to.We have been thinking of emigrating for about 2 years. Finally we have decided to go to Adelaide , South Australia. I am a nurse and have been in touch with a recruitment agency regards employment in Adelaide. Adelaide is the smallest of all Oz cities 1.1 million people and has a lovely country feel to it! We like that! We come from a small town in south wales the big cities wound not suit us and we think Adelaide would be just right -twenty minutes there abouts out of the city you are in the country side and in the other direction at the beach Will be starting the whole process in January and if all goes well will be in Adelaide September/October 2008.
We would like to hear from expats who are in Adelaide or who want to go to Adelaide.
We are in Adelaide and have been now for nearly 18 months now.

Take a look at our blog (link below) there's quite a lot of pics and our experiences of Adelaide on there.

If you need any help/info then feel free to give us a shout.

Graham
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:19 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

You will Love Adelaide
We have been here two years the first week of Jan, have enjoyed every minute
Good luck with your journey
Any questions, fire away
Cal
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Timandjayne
Hi everyone have just had abit of bad news today, we have got just 10weeks to go until we moved to port lincoln in SA, when at 2.30am we have just been informed that hubby's [U]Prospective[U] employer has now relocated us to another part of SA called Port Pirie.
My hubby and I spent 2 weeks in port lincoln looking at schools and hiring a builder to build us a property, not including the expense of it all. This was all to make sure we where making the right decision.

He even turned down a post in Queensland as the area looked much nicer and now our world has been turned upside down.
You can amagine how furious I am today, the man hours I have put in searching for removal company Quotes, instructing real estate agents, I've paid for flights, accommodation etc etc You've all been there.

Can anyone tell me what port Pirie is like, the good and bad points.

cheers
jayne
Hi Jayne ...so sorry to hear you are being so messed about. I think that is terrible after all the trouble you have gone to
I always loved Port Lincoln and went there regularly when I lived in South Australia....the fishing is great and Coffin Bay, abut a 25 min drive away is really lovely.
As for Port Pirie, I don't know if it has changed in recent years but it was a town I used to bypass after being through it once . A very industrial town with some pollution...I wouldn't go in the sea there.
But....it might well have changed, for the better I would hope.
If I was told I was going to Port Lincoln I would very happily go....but Port Pirie?...I don't thnk so
Maybe one or more of the members have been there recently and can advise you a little better than I can....by saying it is now a very nice place
I think you would have needed the truth from someone who lived in SA for 31 years. I sincerely hope everything works out for you....Bin.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Timandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really niceTimandjayne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Hi Jayne ...so sorry to hear you are being so messed about. I think that is terrible after all the trouble you have gone to
I always loved Port Lincoln and went there regularly when I lived in South Australia....the fishing is great and Coffin Bay, abut a 25 min drive away is really lovely.
As for Port Pirie, I don't know if it has changed in recent years but it was a town I used to bypass after being through it once . A very industrial town with some pollution...I wouldn't go in the sea there.
But....it might well have changed, for the better I would hope.
If I was told I was going to Port Lincoln I would very happily go....but Port Pirie?...I don't thnk so
Maybe one or more of the members have been there recently and can advise you a little better than I can....by saying it is now a very nice place
I think you would have needed the truth from someone who lived in SA for 31 years. I sincerely hope everything works out for you....Bin.
Hi there Thanks for the encouragment, after standing by our gun's we have had clarification that they will honour Port Lincoln (otherwise they would of been in breach of contract) Haha
I don't think they had a leg to stand on to tell you the truth, apparantly we where previously told the position had been filled ,but all of a sudden it's empty again. I'm abit worried about the little fibs mind you does'nt bode well for the future does it. Anyway role on 10 wks Port Lincoln here I come. I'm a very happy Bunny. Happy Xmas!!
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:14 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We are in Adelaide toooooo!!

We love it here, having just done a "holiday" trip to Melbounre, which we really didnt like at all, to busy, dirty, to much traffic, just not us, it was a fantastic feeling to come "home" to Adelaide!! Many more trips planned to see all areas of Oz, but I think after nearly a year here we all feel very settled in our new lives!!

Adelaide isnt for eveyrone and gets a HUGE bashing on this site, but if you want that City feel thats mixed in with country feel (if that makes any sense at all) then this is the place!! Some say Adelaide is boring, I say it must be you thats boring not Adelaide, as I not felt bored yet!!
Old Dec 23rd 2007, 10:31 pm
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We are in Adelaide toooooo!!

We love it here, having just done a "holiday" trip to Melbounre, which we really didnt like at all, to busy, dirty, to much traffic, just not us, it was a fantastic feeling to come "home" to Adelaide!! Many more trips planned to see all areas of Oz, but I think after nearly a year here we all feel very settled in our new lives!!

Adelaide isnt for eveyrone and gets a HUGE bashing on this site, but if you want that City feel thats mixed in with country feel (if that makes any sense at all) then this is the place!! Some say Adelaide is boring, I say it must be you thats boring not Adelaide, as I not felt bored yet!!
EXACTLY what we feel when we make little business trips to Melbourne!!!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

clive douglas wheeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by liz1515
Hello all,

This is our first post My husband & I have just returned from a 8 week holiday - 4 weeks in Oz & 4 weeks in NZ -an amazing journey!
It was a fact finding tour to help us decide which country to emigrate to.We have been thinking of emigrating for about 2 years. Finally we have decided to go to Adelaide , South Australia. I am a nurse and have been in touch with a recruitment agency regards employment in Adelaide. Adelaide is the smallest of all Oz cities 1.1 million people and has a lovely country feel to it! We like that! We come from a small town in south wales the big cities wound not suit us and we think Adelaide would be just right -twenty minutes there abouts out of the city you are in the country side and in the other direction at the beach Will be starting the whole process in January and if all goes well will be in Adelaide September/October 2008.
We would like to hear from expats who are in Adelaide or who want to go to Adelaide.
Hi. We migrated to Adelaide 33 years ago. Used to live in Bournemouth. Best thing we ever did. You made a good choice. Adelaide is best all round for a great lifestyle. You can email me direct at cwheeleratpicknowl.com.au if you want to email direct. Use heading new migrants to adfelade & i wont think its junk mail. Regards Clive & Peggy Warradale
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

clive douglas wheeler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We migrated to Adelaide 33 years ago. Used to live in Bournemouth. Best thing we ever did. You made a good choice. Adelaide is best all round for a great lifestyle. You can email me direct at cwheeleratpicknowl.com.au if you want to email direct. Use heading new migrants to adfelade & i wont think its junk mail. Regards Clive & Peggy Warradale. [PM user for telephone details] for sms

Last edited by cresta57; Dec 30th 2007 at 1:51 am. Reason: Remove phone number from forum
Old Dec 30th 2007, 4:26 am
mers

mers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nicemers is just really nice

Hi Liz, we are also in south Wales and Heading to Adelaide, just had our visa granted and hoping to go in July. Thanks for your great posting as its nice to hear nice things about Adelaide.
All the best andy