Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Electricity Bill.

1st Electricity Bill.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st Electricity Bill.

God I think thats a lot. Ours (family of 4, pool, 2 aircons) was $276 from 23 Nov to mid Feb.
Karen
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Grassface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yep, sounds about right. Our highest one ever was $545 last winter when the kids kept leaving the heater on all day when they went to school :scared: . Uusally our bills are about $400.
Goodness! Did you also have the Christmas light on?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:39 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
Heating I really dont think we will use heating,being used to a Scots winter year after year! maybe occasionally for the kids
No we dont have a pool.

Donna.
dont laugh about the heating. our bill for the winter (3months) was nearly $800. the kids left the heaters on all the time... they soon heated up when i opened the bill
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Our first bill: October - December was $180.

No air-con used at that time, just fans...

Our second bill: January - March was $380. :scared:

That's the air-con difference.

( We have only 2 air-con's running in our rental and ONLY at bedtime. :scared: )

We have had a good few STINKING HOT days up here in the north, this summer but have steeled ourselves. we don't really want to be living in an air-con bubble anyway, but there are nights when it is a necessity and not a luxury...

Dread to think what the bill would be like if we had air-con running in every room in our new house ( in all 4 bed's ) plus in the lounge, plus in the kids playroom.....
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grassface
Luckily no, cos it was July .
Old Apr 15th 2005, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road

sounds to me OZ elecy is more expensive i pay around £20-25 per month and am not shy on usage, thats about $60-70 per month $200-$220 per qtr, il be pissed off if i spend much more than that per qtr, sod air con, id rather sit in my underpants than pay that sort of money to Fat Cat Monopoly Companies :scared:

So if you call and see a man with nothin but pants on, sweating more than Michael Jackson, then you know its because im too tight to pay silly prices
Old Apr 15th 2005, 10:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by tonyclark
sounds to me OZ elecy is more expensive i pay around £20-25 per month and am not shy on usage, thats about $60-70 per month $200-$220 per qtr, il be pissed off if i spend much more than that per qtr, sod air con, id rather sit in my underpants than pay that sort of money to Fat Cat Monopoly Companies :scared:

So if you call and see a man with nothin but pants on, sweating more than Michael Jackson, then you know its because im too tight to pay silly prices
13.3c per Kwh on Tariff 11 (Standard)
7.9c per Kwh on Tariff 33 (Controlled Overnight supply)

It all depends on how much you use

Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:01 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I pay $130 per month and that doesn't cover it. We have a pool and 2 split system air con units.
I pay more here for electric, but then i have no gas bill
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by hevs
but then i have no gas bill
That's a good point, nor do we.
And a lot of us may be in the same situation.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:37 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grassface
There was no need when I make a point of leaving every single light in the house on

When all is said and done, we tend to use the appliances that we need and accept that we will have to pay. I try to be energy efficient, but laziness tends to bugger that up.

At our last house we has aircon in the shed (well, you would, wouldnt you?) so when I worked from home I would have that on pretty well all day unless it was the three months of winter. We also had a dishwasher that I think used a lot. We used our tumble dryer a lot too - mainly because I was too lazy to go and hack back the bougainvillea that had over run the hills hoist. Add in the kids leaving the heater on in the winter (I came home one day and our lounge/kitchen area which was about 4m by 8m with a high ceiling was uncomfortably hot ) and it was not so surprising that our bills were consistently high.

Where we are now we have no dishwasher (well, we do, but she does not run on electricity) and no aircon but we do now have a pool, so I expect it will end up much the same. Our hot water now is done by gas - so that is an extra bill - our last place was electric but we also had solar that helped reduce that.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:54 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

After shocking some of you with our low food bill, I can now also shock with our low electricity bill:
It's about $50 per bill Which I've calculated is about $23 per month.

BUT!!!!!!
That is 2 people, NO KIDS
NO POOL
NO AIRCON (2 fans, but it's hasn't been that hot, and we both work all week)
NO DISHWASHER
NO DRYER

And we haven't gone through winter yet either, and I've just bought a little electric one for that.

Our stove is gas, and so is hot water.
I've only had 2 gas bills so far and it averages at $32 per month.

.... I'll think we'll wait a few years to have kids....
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:01 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Simone
One of the most sensible statements i've seen from anyone in a long time

Cause once you have one, there's no going back, and very few would want to anyway

Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

chocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura aboutchocaholic has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Simone
After shocking some of you with our low food bill, I can now also shock with our low electricity bill:
It's about $50 per bill Which I've calculated is about $23 per month.

BUT!!!!!!
That is 2 people, NO KIDS
NO POOL
NO AIRCON (2 fans, but it's hasn't been that hot, and we both work all week)
NO DISHWASHER
NO DRYER

And we haven't gone through winter yet either, and I've just bought a little electric one for that.

Our stove is gas, and so is hot water.
I've only had 2 gas bills so far and it averages at $32 per month.

Good grief.........you are really "zuinig" - trully Dutch
Old Apr 16th 2005, 2:08 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocaholic
Good grief.........you are really "zuinig" - trully Dutch
Yep, (Pascal isn't though, geez, leaves lights on all over the place, doesn't turn the tap tightly enough so it's still dripping )

ABCD: yeah, I really want kids, but I know we should enjoy the time we have now, and also save money for when we do have kids. I'm only 23 so we have plenty of time.