Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

Originally Posted by Centurion
Congratulations on the new job!

We are moving to Australia with the exact intention of downgrading our jobs and trying to find that elusive life balance. Running a company in the UK is not a fun business for most and for us personally been a real challenge over the years. Sure, we suceeded but the work life balance was wholly wrong.

At this moment in time a more, dare I say menial job, holds great appeal to us both. My wife and I often laugh and say that to have a job where you can simply go home afterward and switch off from it must be nice.

So more power to you for being able to spend more time with your kids - thats whats important in life....living life itself.

Me personally think it's just has hard where we are to get.....dare i say menial job.......I saw a job advertised in the paper the other day for working at coles supermarket, the store isn't opening till the end of october. so off i trotted and filled an application form out, and was asked to go back the next day for another meeting with some of the other applicants......when i got there was about 16 people we were split into two groups and had to do a murder mystery, and then solve it whilst being watched by to representitives,
they would then see how we reacted with each other and if we were team players and could work toghether as a team.............and all that, just for dare i say menial job.

lesley
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:39 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

In all honestly - we came out here with the intention of me not working at all in a steady job, spending more time with the kids and working in my career job freelance p/t when work was available. But plans change! Hubby got a job but low paid and could not bring enough in to live without struggles. Also the freelance work that I thought would take years to build upon, flooded in beyond ability to cope and spend time with the children. Hense the decision to give it up. Also, from never seeing the kids (in UK), to constant motherhood was very hard for me to adapt to. I think things could work out now for everyone, p/t job, p/t Mum, p/t Wife, but for once full time smiles! (......hopefully!)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:41 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
In all honestly - we came out here with the intention of me not working at all in a steady job, spending more time with the kids and working in my career job freelance p/t when work was available. But plans change! Hubby got a job but low paid and could not bring enough in to live without struggles. Also the freelance work that I thought would take years to build upon, flooded in beyond ability to cope and spend time with the children. Hense the decision to give it up. Also, from never seeing the kids (in UK), to constant motherhood was very hard for me to adapt to. I think things could work out now for everyone, p/t job, p/t Mum, p/t Wife, but for once full time smiles! (......hopefully!)

Gotta ask, what was the freelance work you did?

Paul.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:48 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJL family
Me personally think it's just has hard where we are to get.....dare i say menial job.......I saw a job advertised in the paper the other day for working at coles supermarket, the store isn't opening till the end of october. so off i trotted and filled an application form out, and was asked to go back the next day for another meeting with some of the other applicants......when i got there was about 16 people we were split into two groups and had to do a murder mystery, and then solve it whilst being watched by to representitives,
they would then see how we reacted with each other and if we were team players and could work toghether as a team.............and all that, just for dare i say menial job.

lesley

Not gonna believe this.....I did too...I'm meant to start training in 2 weeks! I got a Deli job. There are 2 opening Helensvale and Upper Coomera. I'm in Upper Coomera.....I thought I would wait 2 weeks just to make sure that Movie World job is working out! At 1st I was temped to work 2 jobs but I'm sticking to my guns, only one. That murder mystery was hysterical! Did your group notice all the info was different? We had not a clue! After that one was a one on one with manager. Also a 40 min on-line aptitude test. If I take the job I have 6 hours of on-line training to complete before they even get me in for pre-opening training! Unbelievable! Thought I'd better wait and see in case Movie World is hell! The hoops they make you jump here is scary! A mate has just come out here after 16 years in the machinery operations trade. He qualified on a skilled visa - and now discovered he has 3.5 grands worth of tests to sit if he wants to carry on in the trade he's done for 16 years! He is seriously contemplating going home again! It's crazy! Good luck, Lesley x
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:50 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diddy
Gotta ask, what was the freelance work you did?

Paul.
I was a freelance 2nd/3rd assistant director for film and tv. I kept getting 1st work - which personally I am not 100% ready for yet - (it's a confidence thing for me just now!)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Good to see it's working out m'dear! Hope Storm and Typhoon are still behaving!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by madsad
Good luck Collete,sounds like fun you'll soon have all your kids friends asking if you have any free passes !!

Donna.
Damm, you beat me to it! I was just going to ask for myself.

Hi Collette, glad to hear that you are getting on well with your new job(s). A well planned move me thinks. What sort of outfit do you have to wear? I'd want to be catwoman too...do they give you the liposuction to fit into the outfit?!

As off two hours ago, I am back on the job market too. So I think I'll start reading up on detective stories. It sounds like the way to go.