Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

Old Aug 25th 2005, 11:35 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

OK - 1st day today of my new casual job. A presenter at Movie World. I recently decided to give up my chosen career job to spend more time with with my 2 kids. This job allows me to spend 2 full days with my youngest and 1 other day on call! Hope this will allow me to juggle work and kids! Feeling a bit old for the role though. The others are 21 - 25 (i'm 35). It sounds fun...and some aspects are truly lovely....but behind the smiles, it does feel like the essence of factory work ...loading and unloading...but with people! Really having to start again in all aspects of work and thinking really. Feeling a bit lost.....but on the bright side ....good perks! And actually realy enjoyed today, lots to learn and smiley faces to get to know.....but this is a job for an early 20's start. To those moving out here...don't underestimate the extent of what "getting a new life" entails. It encompasses such a wide variety of things you thought you
would never have to do again and/or had, in previous employment risen above! (no diss intended to those employed in a similar or lateral position).
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Teri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the roughTeri is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 1st Day in 1st Oz job - working in Movie World!

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
OK - 1st day today of my new casual job. A presenter at Movie World. I recently decided to give up my chosen career job to spend more time with with my 2 kids. This job allows me to spend 2 full days with my youngest and 1 other day on call! Hope this will allow me to juggle work and kids! Feeling a bit old for the role though. The others are 21 - 25 (i'm 35). It sounds fun...and some aspects are truly lovely....but behind the smiles, it does feel like the essence of factory work ...loading and unloading...but with people! Really having to start again in all aspects of work and thinking really. Feeling a bit lost.....but on the bright side ....good perks! And actually realy enjoyed today, lots to learn and smiley faces to get to know.....but this is a job for an early 20's start. To those moving out here...don't underestimate the extent of what "getting a new life" entails. It encompasses such a wide variety of things you thought you
would never have to do again and/or had, in previous employment risen above! (no diss intended to those employed in a similar or lateral position).
You only 35 years YOUNG!! don't make yourself sound so old!!

Curious - what exactly does a presenter at Movie World do?
Old Aug 25th 2005, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud ofFlutterscutter has much to be proud of

Good for you. Good luck with it all.

One of the best things that ever happened to me was emmigrating and starting all over again. Taking jobs you never done before and generally doing lots of other things that are a challenge will make you a better person. It did for me and also gave me a lot more confidence in myself. All part of this big adventure
Old Aug 25th 2005, 4:30 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you enjoy and it gives you the balance that you want.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

that is wonderful...!...i havent' been to movie world yet..tho i did live up that way for a while a year or so ago...ENJOY~
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wholeworldwindow,

I'm looking forward to doing something completely different.

I've spent 25 years slogging my guts out in I.T. A presenter in Movieworld sounds just the ticket. And if you think YOU'RE old well that makes me almost mummified.

I wish you all the very best. Keep smiling for the masses (if that's what you have to do) and just keep thinking of all that extra time you'll be able to spend with the kids. I'm sure it'll be worth it. Best of luck.

Netta
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

You could be in worse parts of the world! <lol>

Wonderful. Whereabouts on the GC are you living? We were there at Easter this year.

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 25th 2005, 5:46 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Hope the job and the people continue to be smiley
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:25 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all for well wishes. We are actually in Upper Coomera - so in an ideal location to work at Movie World. (although I innitially moved there for ease of opportunities at the roadshow part - in filmaking, which is what I used to do freelance and will again return ...hopefully.......one day!) At Movie World I really can be doing a mix of things. Just now learning one ride at a time with safety (LOTS of it!)..evacuations, loading, unloading etc... and lots of smiling....LOTS of smiling! But can soon be learning scripts and more performance based stuff. There is loads of different divisions...street performers and costumed staff ect..... Funny, all the girls swoon when they see Batman - but run if there is the slighest chance he might take his mask off....would ruin the fantasy! (I think he was the big bloke with the acne I was sitting next to in the canteen yesterday! teehee) I think most of the young girls I am working with aspire to be Cat Woman or one of Austin Powers girl dancers. Where as I'm more likely to aspire to get "Shrek" lol!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:59 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I've been meaning to ask you for ages. Ho did you get the job? We're in Helensvale and my partner is interested in working there?

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:22 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diddy
Hi,

I've been meaning to ask you for ages. Ho did you get the job? We're in Helensvale and my partner is interested in working there?

Thanks,

Paul.
Hi, It was advertised on SEEK.com.au They are recruiting just now for Seasonal Staff - so if you can't find it on seek, go to Warner Bros website and contact Human Resources and enquire. Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:39 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Collete,sounds like fun you'll soon have all your kids friends asking if you have any free passes !!

Donna.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 4:48 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, It was advertised on SEEK.com.au They are recruiting just now for Seasonal Staff - so if you can't find it on seek, go to Warner Bros website and contact Human Resources and enquire. Good luck

Ta.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

To those moving out here...don't underestimate the extent of what "getting a new life" entails. It encompasses such a wide variety of things you ]

Hi collette.

I know exactly where your coming from........before we emmigrated we said to most people that we could'nt wait to get to oz to start our new lives, we had it all planned out. but when we got here it's been a different ball game, i've just managed to finally get a job after 10 weeks of trying (and i'am a cook) it's been a struggle........and i know you will all be thinking that 10 weeks is not a long time, but believe me it is when your trying to find work........john my partner whose a brickie did'nt struggle to get a job though, he got one easily.......but the wages here are shite for brickies $28 -30 an hour, thats less than half of what he earned in the uk (yes i know we're not in the uk now before anyone jumps on the band wagon)........ hopefully when he gets his licence he might earn more.

We most certanly did our home work before we came but we did'nt think that john's money would be that bad for a skilled brickie, he even put an advertisment in the local paper for 2 weeks running........and he did'nt get not one phone call (sorry he did get 2 calls..asking him if he needed any labourers). But we will definatly stick it out for a couple of years, can't come to the other side of the world with out giving it a good try.......

Anyway hope you enjoyed your first day at work collette - keep me updated it's nice to here how eveyones getting on.

lesley (jjl family)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:17 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the new job!

We are moving to Australia with the exact intention of downgrading our jobs and trying to find that elusive life balance. Running a company in the UK is not a fun business for most and for us personally been a real challenge over the years. Sure, we suceeded but the work life balance was wholly wrong.

At this moment in time a more, dare I say menial job, holds great appeal to us both. My wife and I often laugh and say that to have a job where you can simply go home afterward and switch off from it must be nice.

So more power to you for being able to spend more time with your kids - thats whats important in life....living life itself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.