Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Christmas in Oz.

1st Christmas in Oz.

Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:23 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Question 1st Christmas in Oz.

Hi,

This will be our very first Xmas in Oz & I'm not quite sure how to plan Xmas day
We are spending it on our own,where as every other year back home we would go to hubby's parents for Xmas dinner or they would come to ours,planning for dinner was easy back home too but here its going to be too warm to slave over the cooker for a traditional Xmas meal
Dont want to go out for dinner as we feel as its our first we want to be in our own home,let the kids enjoy their pressies

What did all you guys do on your very 1st Xmas here? or if you are in the same position as us how are you planning the day?

Donna.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:31 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1st Christmas in Oz.

Originally Posted by madsad
Hi,

This will be our very first Xmas in Oz & I'm not quite sure how to plan Xmas day
We are spending it on our own,where as every other year back home we would go to hubby's parents for Xmas dinner or they would come to ours,planning for dinner was easy back home too but here its going to be too warm to slave over the cooker for a traditional Xmas meal
Dont want to go out for dinner as we feel as its our first we want to be in our own home,let the kids enjoy their pressies

What did all you guys do on your very 1st Xmas here? or if you are in the same position as us how are you planning the day?

Donna.
Hiya Donna

We headed down the beach with esky and camp stove, i had made a bowl of salad, and hubby cooked chilli and garlic prawns....mmmm yummy. My son wanted burger which we cooked on the stove and my daughter wanted chicken tikka which I had made day b4 and cooked on barbie.

and made wee individual cheesecakes.........had a couple of tinnies.....swim in the ocean it was FAB!!!!!

Oh and had the scottish flag flyin lol peeps walkin past ...hmmmm bloody tourists.............."bloody PR's if ya dont mind" lol
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:39 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
Hiya Donna

We headed down the beach with esky and camp stove, i had made a bowl of salad, and hubby cooked chilli and garlic prawns....mmmm yummy. My son wanted burger which we cooked on the stove and my daughter wanted chicken tikka which I had made day b4 and cooked on barbie.

and made wee individual cheesecakes.........had a couple of tinnies.....swim in the ocean it was FAB!!!!!

Oh and had the scottish flag flyin lol peeps walkin past ...hmmmm bloody tourists.............."bloody PR's if ya dont mind" lol

That sounds just the ticket H great idea!!

Did not having the traditional kinda xmas food make it feel weird? un xmassy? if you know what i mean!

Donna.

Last edited by madsad; Nov 10th 2005 at 2:43 am.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:41 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Donna.

Hey Donna!!

Here is your chance to start creating brand new traditions for you and the family!!! Its nothing like the UK Christmas here and you have made a new start to your lives so its the best opportunity to start doing things different!!

In our family we start the morning off with opening pressies sipping champagne and OJ and then following on with poached eggs and gorgeous leg ham for breakfast!!

Then the boys go and play with the kids while we girls start getting the lunch organised...we dont usually have lunch until about 2ish just so there is no rushing...

We eat....we nap/talk/play cards etc....then when people can be bothered its left overs for dinner...

We dont arrange too much as no one wants to really fuss over stuff on the day...but we all have a good time!!

You should try to just come up with your own little traditions that you can all do together that makes it feel something special...especially your first ones away from extended family!!

H
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

First one was in melb but last years was here

Buy the kids really stupid pool toys, last year it was 6 ft bananas and watermelon slices and a green alien that looked like a blow up doll
We Let them all have a bacardi breezer (irresponsible I know ) and hit the pool, never laughed so much, spend a fortune on the expensive food you dont normally buy the mangos, prawns, crabs etc . Last year was just warm and muggy, previous one was about 42 and we got a cracking storm which compensated for lack of snow or drizzle
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:43 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of fresh seafood, cook a roast xmas eve (pork or beef), head for one of thousands of deserted beaches and enjoy yourself !
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Lots of fresh seafood, cook a roast xmas eve (pork or beef), head for one of thousands of deserted beaches and enjoy yourself !
Do what all Australians do on public holidays - go out and with your full esky and begin drinking at around 9am - keep drinking in the sun until you fall over.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Whats on in bris for christmas, santas arriving this weekend parade in the mall

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whatson/xmas/events/
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

We're quite traditional when it comes to Christmas...

A Dogs Life's parents were with us last summer. We had turkey for Christmas and roast beef for Hogmany. The air-conditioner was on most of the time so I wasn't exactly slaving away in the heat. I've got to say it was good fun having family around.

This year, there will be just ADL, Jock, Coffee Bean (due a few days before Christmas) and me. I would love to roast a goose but need to find the bird first. Does anyone know where in/near Brisbane I can get a goose, preferably fresh not frozen? It's a serious question, before you start laughing. I've always preferred goose to turkey but the American tradition seems to have taken over the world!

You never know, I may spend the entire holiday season in bed after labour?!

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I want:

THE QUINTET!
The turkey formerly known as the Triple Supreme

This is it! The ultimate presentation. Have your guests talking about that fantastic turkey that you served them.

A whole quail is filled with glazed cherries then placed inside a boneless spatchcock & then placed into a boneless open range chicken. This is then placed inside a boneless duck & then placed into a boneless turkey which still has the wings and drumsticks attached. It presents like a magnificent turkey.

What a crowd pleaser! All spare gaps are filled with veal, mushroom and pine nut stuffing. Salt, spices and garlic are used to season.

Serves 4 to 25+ persons (Min. net weight 8kg)

Raw $175.00 ea
(Item Code T 061)

Oven Roasted & Glazed $200.00 ea
(Item Code T 561)

http://mondo.net.au/data/poultry.html
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Whats on in bris for christmas, santas arriving this weekend parade in the mall

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/whatson/xmas/events/

Wow! just had a quick peek,loads of events the kids will love!

Donna.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:17 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds just the ticket H great idea!!

Did not having the traditional kinda xmas food make it feel weird? un xmassy? if you know what i mean!

Donna.
It was different but then the whole point of comin here was for a change....the kids loved it they had loads of fun...sed it was the best chrissy ever. we covered the bull bur of the ute is tinsel as well lol.

It is what u make it, it is soooo chilled out because u r not running around entertaining every bugger and feeding them. The day just goes at a lovely slow pace and you know u aint got a mountain of dishes to do...when yer so stuffed full of food u canny move.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
This is what I want:

THE QUINTET!
The turkey formerly known as the Triple Supreme

This is it! The ultimate presentation. Have your guests talking about that fantastic turkey that you served them.

A whole quail is filled with glazed cherries then placed inside a boneless spatchcock & then placed into a boneless open range chicken. This is then placed inside a boneless duck & then placed into a boneless turkey which still has the wings and drumsticks attached. It presents like a magnificent turkey.

What a crowd pleaser! All spare gaps are filled with veal, mushroom and pine nut stuffing. Salt, spices and garlic are used to season.

Serves 4 to 25+ persons (Min. net weight 8kg)

Raw $175.00 ea
(Item Code T 061)

Oven Roasted & Glazed $200.00 ea
(Item Code T 561)

http://mondo.net.au/data/poultry.html

Stuff the spatchcock, try the aussie version, grab a kookaburra shove up a magpie, stick inside a a pelican, stuff with queensland gold tops, fine mullimbimby herbs and decorate with gum leaves.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
We're quite traditional when it comes to Christmas...

A Dogs Life's parents were with us last summer. We had turkey for Christmas and roast beef for Hogmany. The air-conditioner was on most of the time so I wasn't exactly slaving away in the heat. I've got to say it was good fun having family around.

This year, there will be just ADL, Jock, Coffee Bean (due a few days before Christmas) and me. I would love to roast a goose but need to find the bird first. Does anyone know where in/near Brisbane I can get a goose, preferably fresh not frozen? It's a serious question, before you start laughing. I've always preferred goose to turkey but the American tradition seems to have taken over the world!

You never know, I may spend the entire holiday season in bed after labour?!

Mrs JTL
Awh..a Xmas baby,your New years certainly going to be different!

Wishing you all the best x

Donna.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 3:25 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy

Some people have no class

This'll actually be our second xmas in Oz.

We'll be spending it with our mates Nicole & Leon at her mums house in Burwood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.