Reload this Page >

1st Australian Tax Return

1st Australian Tax Return

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:45 am
Just Joined

swiftinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st Australian Tax Return

Hi,

This will be our first Tax Return that we have to complete in Australia.

Is it best to get a Tax agent to complete for us or to do it ourselves.

I work as an accounts assistant, so mine is straight forward as I dont have anything extra to claim except for a book keeping course that I have just started.

My husband is an Electrician, we know he can claim for his work tools and work clothing and boots that he has purchased. Is there anything else he can claim for? for example his mobile phone if he has made work calls?

We appreciate any help

Thanks,
Shelley
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

oldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really niceoldandbold is just really nice
Default Re: 1st Australian Tax Return

My advice - 1st time round get a tax agent, the cost is deductable from next years return. However the ATO has a lot on their website, find some copied below.
Regards
O&B.

Electricians - claiming work-related expenses

Other work-related expenses

Unless indicated otherwise you can claim the following expenses at item D5 Other work-related expenses on your tax return.

Protective equipment and clothing

You can claim a deduction for protective equipment you use on the job that costs $300 or less in the year you incur the expenses. This includes equipment such as helmets, harnesses and goggles. You cannot claim a deduction for protective equipment costing more than $300 that is used over a longer period. You can claim a deduction for its decline in value.

Examples of protective clothing include:

fire resistant and sun-protection clothing
safety coloured vests
rubber boots
steel-capped boots, gloves, overalls, heavy duty shirts and trousers that are designed to protect the wearer from risk of injury at work.
Jeans, drill shirts and trousers that are not designed to protect the wearer are not considered to be protective clothing.

You can claim your expenses for protective clothing items at item D3 Work-related uniform, occupation specific or protective clothing, laundry and dry-cleaning expenses on your tax return.

Sections within Other work-related expenses
Tools and equipment
Sunglasses, sunhats and sunscreens
Home office expenses
Overtime meals
Records you must keep

Electricians - claiming work-related expenses

Work-related daily travel expenses
When you can make a claim

Transporting bulky tools and equipment

You can claim a deduction for the cost of transporting bulky tools and equipment between home and work if:

you need to use them at work
there is no secure area for storing them at your workplace.
Travelling between worksites

You can claim a deduction for the cost of trips between worksites on the same day. This includes travelling between:

different worksites for the same employer, or
separate places of employment.
Shifting places of employment

You can claim the cost of trips between home and work if you regularly work at many sites each day before returning home.

Example 1

Matt is an electrician who does maintenance work and uses his own vehicle. Every day he travels to several sites. He carries a large extension ladder on his roof rack, a tool box, reels of cable and boxes of switches.

Matt is entitled to a deduction for his vehicle expenses because he has shifting places of work. Matt is also entitled to a deduction because he transports bulky tools and equipment between his home and the worksite.