Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

1st Aussie Brithday

1st Aussie Brithday

Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default 1st Aussie Brithday

We’ve just celebrated our 1st year in Oz.

12 months in and I’ve no regrets. It’s not been easy but I’m enjoying life here.

I haven't been on here much recently, got a bit flash hasn't it. To answer the often asked question. I have too much to do now that my life has been taken off hold.

We rented a house (4x2 plus a/c = $250) but it was hard finding somewhere decent. Some places were absolutely dross, you’d think an agent would make sure the toilets had been flushed before showing someone around wouldn’t you.

Only advice here, be really picky on the property condition report before you sign it. Landlords can be really unreasonable about giving the bond back. It’s a pretty standard development in that it has a park area with swings and ponds and such. Youngster can wander out there to play with his friends quite safely. The markets dropped off a bit since we got here so there may be more choice around now.

We bought cars fairly easily. No different to the UK really as a car salesman would eat his first born if it meant he could get a sale. They lie just as much as the UK but we both got decent cars at reasonable prices and nothing to serious has gone wrong yet, unless you count youngster scraping his bike down the side of H’s new(ish) Astra. When you buy don’t forget to add stamp duty (on cost plus extras). Big hint: know what you want to pay and walk away when they refuse it. They’ll come after you like Daley Thompson!

Both H and I found jobs about 2 months after moving into the Eastern suburbs.
H is in medical administration and I’m in IT. I always figured she’d be alright but I was really chuffed as the market for IT is sluggish over this side. A lot of jobs are offered on 12 month fixed term contracts so who knows next year but my lot have started talking about renewing. The moneys not all that for me (about half UK salary) but H is on about the same as UK. Doesn’t really matter as we seem to be saving money quite nicely each month. Not something that happened often in the UK.

Youngster has settled in nicely. A bit of a bind having to do pre-primary again and the kids are definitely behind the UK. Is that a bad thing, I don’t think so as the kids get a couple more years to be kidlike. Certainly doesn’t seem to hold them back later on if the guys I work with are anything to go by. He’s seems to have plenty of friends and even loves the out of school care he goes to (very cheap compared to the UK, about $70 per week for afternoons only).

Perth is a great place. Sorry it doesn’t appeal to Mike S but I get the impression that sticking 50,000 volts up him would raise a smile. Not from him anyway.
There are plenty of good bars and restaurants just not on every corner so it’s a bit of trial and error. To be fair it isn’t as good as the UK in that respect. It shocked me that pub prices are much the same as the UK even though the wages are much lower.
Perth is clean, spacious with low traffic volume and plenty to do although it might not please the teenagers to much. Of course we get the V8 hoons from time to time and there definitely is crime although we haven’t seen much evidence of it. If I had to whinge (something I obviously try to avoid) I’d say Public transport isn’t much good to us as the last bus into the city all of 15 Km away is 17:30!!. Absolutely no chance of anything coming back after a night out. Also I’ve found getting clothes for work to be expensive and poor quality. If you wear suits (which not many of us do) stock up on Next before you get here.

People are friendly although going from “How ya goin� to “mate� does take quite a bit of effort. Unless they’re trying to sell you something you won’t get too many contacts without putting some graft in.

Top and tail of it. It’s not much different from our life in England. Except better weather, access to the beaches, forests, parks and river. Frankly that’s good enough We still work just as hard but with a bit more family time. I haven’t got any plans to go back to the UK any time soon but also don’t find myself calling Oz “Home� just yet.

All the best
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Aussie Brithday

Happy birthday/anniversary.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 3:42 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Got to commend you on a very honest post Nibbs. I can relate to a lot you say & after 12 months here I might have posted something very similar.
We are now a few years down the track & wild horses wouldn't drag us back so I hope it goes from strength to strength for you.
Old Oct 1st 2004, 4:00 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

good to hear you are settling in - heres to many more years

As for (UK) agents, my sister was away and the agents left a not so nice pressie in the toilet - they then had the cheek to say that they had not been in the house at all!
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Happy birthday nibbs, that's a nice post, a genuine post.

Good luck to you and yours for your future.

Paul
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 10:05 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you Nibbs! The one and only expat in the east!(well, as far as I am aware!)
I work in Maddington btw!

Traffic depends on where you're coming from, where you're going, and what you're used too!
Still, only 30-40 mins for me, usually moving, could be worse! (I take the freeway, tunnel, and then Orrong road. )

You feel like coming to the Expats meet Sunday 24th October in Kings Park? (note expats meet, not BRITISH! Though most are.
Would love to meet you!
See this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256447

Simone
Old Oct 4th 2004, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ya Simone,

Sorry I've been very remiss since the first stab at trying an expats meeting.

I really find working gets in the way of a social life!

The 24th sounds pretty good to me. I've noticed the other post but I have to check young sirs diary and make sure he hasn't got anything booked in.

Hopefully see you all there.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 2:55 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nibbs
Hi Ya Simone,

Sorry I've been very remiss since the first stab at trying an expats meeting.

I really find working gets in the way of a social life!

The 24th sounds pretty good to me. I've noticed the other post but I have to check young sirs diary and make sure he hasn't got anything booked in.

Hopefully see you all there.
Cool

Hmm, yes, was that the one in Freo where nobody turned up?
Definetly won't happen this time!!
Look forward to meeting you, hope son is free!

Yes, working gets in the way. We've been really busy every weekend though, but that's more other people organising stuff, and us going. I'm not one with initiative!
Old Oct 4th 2004, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Great reading.
Old Oct 4th 2004, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by walaj
good to hear you are settling in - heres to many more years

As for (UK) agents, my sister was away and the agents left a not so nice pressie in the toilet - they then had the cheek to say that they had not been in the house at all!
Cheers for the Karma. I'm feeling seriously out of touch now. What's all that about. Do I get 4c off at Woolies servo if I get 100?
Old Oct 5th 2004, 6:09 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post...hope it will be really good year coming

I do not know WA but from the east coast.....Happy First!
Old Oct 6th 2004, 4:10 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Nibbs.

We're almost 6 months in and can relate to most of what you describe, except the kiddies bit cos we dont have them, but what you describe about kids matches with what our neighbour (american) says. Also the grafting bit doesnt quite match my experience, but that could be cos I work for the govt !!!!

Regarding work clothes (for women) most of the women at my place of work swear by "Brown Sugar" (cheap-mid range price and reasonable fashion)

Hope to see you on the 24th !