Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

18 year old step-daughter refused!!

18 year old step-daughter refused!!

Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:24 am
Here at last!!!

The Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant future
Default 18 year old step-daughter refused!!

[B]I had a lovely birthday last week after receiving a e-mail from c/o reading that my husbands daughter could not migrate with us as she has now turned 18 during the process!! As she does'nt live with us and has a job she is classed as being independant. This come a bit of a shock but we thought (in the back of our minds) this might be the outcome!! So now she's not sure what to do. I have a feeling she'll come over when we EVENTUALLY get over there and stay with a 6 month visa to see if she likes it, who knows? Anyone else been in this situation?
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Chris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really niceChris Mitchell is just really nice
Default Re: 18 year old step-daughter refused!!

Originally Posted by The Dove Family
[B]I had a lovely birthday last week after receiving a e-mail from c/o reading that my husbands daughter could not migrate with us as she has now turned 18 during the process!! As she does'nt live with us and has a job she is classed as being independant. This come a bit of a shock but we thought (in the back of our minds) this might be the outcome!! So now she's not sure what to do. I have a feeling she'll come over when we EVENTUALLY get over there and stay with a 6 month visa to see if she likes it, who knows? Anyone else been in this situation?
In a similar in that my 20 year old also has the same problem.

it has resolved for us in some respects in that he decided he didn't want to come but has actively encouraged us to go and that if he wants to come he will find a way.

Our plan is if he decides to join us for him to come on a WHV then we aply to sponser him in 2 years sounds simple but have not got into the nitty gritty of it, the other way is for him to get skills that Australia want and go alone.

Heard on here and on the news that the government was talking about a recipricol agreement on WHV so if foreign citizens were allowed to be here for 2 then uk would expect the same. Not sure if thats changed but heard Oz cits coming here get a 2 yr visa we get 1 if we go there. so you might get her a bit longer.

Hopefully someone will be able to help.

Cannot say I am looking forward to leaving him but he's got himself sorted moved out 100 miles away into a flat with friends so i am sure he'll be ok.

Best wishes Chris
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:43 am
Here at last!!!

The Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant futureThe Dove Family has a brilliant future

Thanks Chris, nice to know someone out there know's what we are going through!!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:47 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Same here, our agent didn't include our 17 yr old as he knew she would turn 18 before we got our visas (still waiting for them).
She is coming with us when we go, on a 3 month tourist visa and if she likes it we will arrange a working holiday visa for her and take it from there, same as everyone else we can't apply for last remaining relative visa until we have been there two years.
It's a difficult situation but she has lived on her own and has a job and has travelled quite a bit on her own to the states and back several times, so even though I will worry about her, I know my sis will take care of her when she can't be with us.
Carole
Old Aug 11th 2005, 4:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Same here, our agent didn't include our 17 yr old as he knew she would turn 18 before we got our visas (still waiting for them).
She is coming with us when we go, on a 3 month tourist visa and if she likes it we will arrange a working holiday visa for her and take it from there, same as everyone else we can't apply for last remaining relative visa until we have been there two years.
Bear in mind you can't arrange a working holiday visa onshore. And British citizens can't do a student visa onshore in most situations.

The remaining relative visa is the one you probably need to look at. Requirements for this are very specific, and note particularly that if she acquires a spouse (including de-facto) then all of his relatives will 'count' as well.

Skilled sponsored after 2-3 years studying in Australia may work in specific instances, although designated area sponsored will likely become a temporary visa from late 2005 or early 2006.

In some limited circumstances Dependent Child may work - get professional advice from an agent expert in family migration (not all agents know about this area).

Jeremy