Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

18 months in Aus...

18 months in Aus...

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:03 pm
Professional Pom

Default 18 months in Aus...

As a professional Degree Educated. senior Mgr from a multinational corporation I thought I'd post my experience of emigrating. When I was looking at emigrating all I could see were tales of trades people. No disrespect meant but life is different for different people.Nobody in my career bracket had posted their experiences.

Opening a bank account, Tax File, Tax, Mortgage, Car purchase, all these things are trivial events. They are as easy as doing the same thing in UK if not easier. If you need to apply for your visa on your own - it is no harder than a business project at work or a thesis at uni.

Going from taking home 4+k pounds per month in UK to taking home 10+K$ per month in Australia. So equivelant for exchange rate. Travelling in Europe to travelling in Asia. Work is the same. The flights are longer. The cultural differences in Europe are the same as cultural differences in Asia - with the possible exception of the lunatics that inhabit japan.

Life Is Good.

Taxation wise things are good after Mr Howards latest tax cuts. Houses are readily affordable in good areas with safe schools and safe suburbs. If a house on the water is your aim - then you can afford it if you bring some equity.

Jobs at professional level in AP are same as professional level in EMEA - for those who understand what EMEA means - you will understand what I am talking about.

The price of lettuce and bananas is an item of minor amusement, however the price of a latte, or a suit are much more important. In the non Sydney/Melbourne area a suit is expensive - so pick some up in UK or on your travels in Asia. If you want a nice Thomas Pink - buy it in england. DO NOT throw away your hugo boss or M&S -they will do nicely thank you in Asia. Even in humid countries, copy the yanks and wear a t-shirt.

Schools are good - the future is bright. Public(free) schools in primary are acceptable. Private secondary are recommended. Public health is excellent without insurance access to doctors is easy and far more available than a UK overcrowded surgery. The doctors in Aus are just as foreign and diverse as the Doctors in UK - congratulate these guys on having the same get up & go as you do to move their family to a foreign climb - they are professionals just as you are. If your kids are bright and you are intelligent enough to help them with their homework etc then they will do well. There is no discernible difference between UK Education and australian education overall. From Private ( and expensive) school in UK to free school in Aus the differences are that the aus system seems aimed at developing more rounded children with better social skills - good on them... the last time I ran into a 'very bright/gifted ' child professionally he was taking out my trash...good on him, Im sure he was very happy in what he did.

Houses are a plenty - pools are common - if you have 500+$ per week for rent you will live prosperously.

Work is the same as Europe. Professionally you may be considered a dufus for the first few mths - just like any new hire. But after you have proven your worth you will be respected. In Asia youth is a benefit , not a hindrance, with exception of Japan. If you are capable of and prepared to work across AP you will find your multi-cultural multi-national skills in demand. Australia is as xenophobic as the japanese in some respects.

Things that bug me about AP/Australia

- Australia is a very young country - nothing is over 200yrs old.
+ Australia has a modern infrastructure, (except Syd + Melb ) traffic is lite, airports are empty. Travel is easy.
- The jobs at exec level are not easy to come by. So fewer career oppty's but I could not have afforded the same lifestyle for my kids in europe.
+ Australia is a powerhouse in Asia - if you can work internationally you will do well. China , Singapore/asean, they all want Ausie/UK professionals for their key projects.
+ Taxation is good (now) therefore disposable income is high to spend at the coffee club on latte's.
+ Coffe is everywhere - going from UK/London where coffee bar was a dosshole on some street corner, to the pleasure of alfresco latte's in aus is a godsend.
+ In good areas crime is low, schools are good. your kids will grow up in a halcyon world without abuse from hoodies. Children - even at 14 are more respectful and polite. In my experience kids are mischievous at best here, rather than malcontent sons of the devil in UK.

+ The Tabloid press is pretty non existent. There is no daily mirror, Sun.. .The closest will touch on the extremities of the daily mail. Ok so TV news is a bit crap but feel free to switch to Sky or News24 just like UK. There is no trevor McDonought which a godsend in my view. No crap harping on about Al Fayed or Diana.

I posted this under an assumed name, fully expect to get banned. If so then c'est la vie. I have used this forum for help over the past 2 yrs. I do not want what can be perceived as my personal arrogance to affect my family & friends that I have made In Australia. I am not the person I was in UK. Gordon Gekko has left the building..... I do however want to post some balanced views of my experiences as a middle class, middle manager, on a good professional salary - because I could not find anything similar when I was looking. So please mod's respect my immunity with impunity.

By the way - I worked bloody hard to get where I am , nothing was handed on a plate, and I took the chance that we all do in moving to Aus... I had to resign and find myself work over here. I was lucky enough to do so . There are plenty of things I cannot afford, and plenty of things I gave up ( like my 5-series BMW company car or a boat - but these are things that people of lesser incomes are affording- its all about priorities).

I have been offered jobs in California and Asia... and I keep thinking as my plane touches down in the simple country that I live , how lucky I am to live here and have the chance of a life here. I think fondly of London, the Hampshire countryside, and many many other things of UK that I miss dearly. However I struggle to think of a single place on this planet that I would rather occupy than the place in which I reside. Things have been tough, even with high disposable income I still look at some things and think 'phew' I dont know if I can afford that... the dislocation of moving to another culture and country has a massive effect. Expect it to knock your confidence, you may well be the sharpest knife in the block - but it will still hurt to be 14,000 miles from your mates and professional colleagues with whom you have a shared history.

I moved to Australia for 2 reasons
- 1 - I kept going on travel to beautiful places and thinking, wow look at the life these people have , how lucky to be born and brought up here.
- 2 - because I could.

For Both reasons I have no regrets. I am sorry if this sounds like the post of an arrogant git. Maybe I am an arrogant git. I think that I have mellowed substantially in my time here, and I thank this country for doing that.

happiness is expensive - in australia it can be afforded.

Last edited by Professional Pom; Aug 2nd 2006 at 4:17 pm.

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: 18 months in Aus...

Well I enjoyed your post!

Paula
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

fings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to beholdfings is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 18 months in Aus...

Originally Posted by Professional Pom
As a professional Degree Educated. senior Mgr from a multinational corporation I thought I'd post my experience of emigrating. When I was looking at emigrating all I could see were tales of trades people. No disrespect meant but life is different for different people.Nobody in my career bracket had posted their experiences.

Opening a bank account, Tax File, Tax, Mortgage, Car purchase, all these things are trivial events. They are as easy as doing the same thing in UK if not easier. If you need to apply for your visa on your own - it is no harder than a business project at work or a thesis at uni.

Going from taking home 4+k pounds per month in UK to taking home 10+K$ per month in Australia. So equivelant for exchange rate. Travelling in Europe to travelling in Asia. Work is the same. The flights are longer. The cultural differences in Europe are the same as cultural differences in Asia - with the possible exception of the lunatics that inhabit japan.

Life Is Good.

Taxation wise things are good after Mr Howards latest tax cuts. Houses are readily affordable in good areas with safe schools and safe suburbs. If a house on the water is your aim - then you can afford it if you bring some equity.

Jobs at professional level in AP are same as professional level in EMEA - for those who understand what EMEA means - you will understand what I am talking about.

The price of lettuce and bananas is an item of minor amusement, however the price of a latte, or a suit are much more important. In the non Sydney/Melbourne area a suit is expensive - so pick some up in UK or on your travels in Asia. If you want a nice Thomas Pink - buy it in england. DO NOT throw away your hugo boss or M&S -they will do nicely thank you in Asia. Even in humid countries, copy the yanks and wear a t-shirt.

Schools are good - the future is bright. Public(free) schools in primary are acceptable. Private secondary are recommended. Public health is excellent without insurance access to doctors is easy and far more available than a UK overcrowded surgery. The doctors in Aus are just as foreign and diverse as the Doctors in UK - congratulate these guys on having the same get up & go as you do to move their family to a foreign climb - they are professionals just as you are. If your kids are bright and you are intelligent enough to help them with their homework etc then they will do well. There is no discernible difference between UK Education and australian education overall. From Private ( and expensive) school in UK to free school in Aus the differences are that the aus system seems aimed at developing more rounded children with better social skills - good on them... the last time I ran into a 'very bright/gifted ' child professionally he was taking out my trash...good on him, Im sure he was very happy in what he did.

Houses are a plenty - pools are common - if you have 500+$ per week for rent you will live prosperously.

Work is the same as Europe. Professionally you may be considered a dufus for the first few mths - just like any new hire. But after you have proven your worth you will be respected. In Asia youth is a benefit , not a hindrance, with exception of Japan. If you are capable of and prepared to work across AP you will find your multi-cultural multi-national skills in demand. Australia is as xenophobic as the japanese in some respects.

+ Australia has a modern infrastructure, (except Syd + Melb ) traffic is lite, airports are empty. Travel is easy.
- The jobs at exec level are not easy to come by. So fewer career oppty's but I could not have afforded the same lifestyle for my kids in europe.
+ Australia is a powerhouse in Asia - if you can work internationally you will do well. China , Singapore/asean, they all want Ausie/UK professionals for their key projects.
+ Taxation is good (now) therefore disposable income is high to spend at the coffee club on latte's.
+ Coffe is everywhere - going from UK/London where coffee bar was a dosshole on some street corner, to the pleasure of alfresco latte's in aus is a godsend.
+ In good areas crime is low, schools are good. your kids will grow up in a halcyon world without abuse from hoodies. Children - even at 14 are more respectful and polite. In my experience kids are mischievous at best here, rather than malcontent sons of the devil in UK.

+ The Tabloid press is pretty non existent. There is no daily mirror, Sun.. .The closest will touch on the extremities of the daily mail. Ok so TV news is a bit crap but feel free to switch to Sky or News24 just like UK. There is no trevor McDonought which a godsend in my view. No crap harping on about Al Fayed or Diana.

I posted this under an assumed name, fully expect to get banned. If so then c'est la vie. I have used this forum for help over the past 2 yrs. I do not want what can be perceived as my personal arrogance to affect my family & friends that I have made In Australia. I am not the person I was in UK. Gordon Gekko has left the building..... I do however want to post some balanced views of my experiences as a middle class, middle manager, on a good professional salary - because I could not find anything similar when I was looking. So please mod's respect my immunity with impunity.

By the way - I worked bloody hard to get where I am , nothing was handed on a plate, and I took the chance that we all do in moving to Aus... I had to resign and find myself work over here. I was lucky enough to do so . There are plenty of things I cannot afford, and plenty of things I gave up ( like my 5-series BMW company car or a boat - but these are things that people of lesser incomes are affording- its all about priorities).

I have been offered jobs in California and Asia... and I keep thinking as my plane touches down in the simple country that I live , how lucky I am to live here and have the chance of a life here. I think fondly of London, the Hampshire countryside, and many many other things of UK that I miss dearly. However I struggle to think of a single place on this planet that I would rather occupy than the place in which I reside. Things have been tough, even with high disposable income I still look at some things and think 'phew' I dont know if I can afford that... the dislocation of moving to another culture and country has a massive effect. Expect it to knock your confidence, you may well be the sharpest knife in the block - but it will still hurt to be 14,000 miles from your mates and professional colleagues with whom you have a shared history.

- 1 - I kept going on travel to beautiful places and thinking, wow look at the life these people have , how lucky to be born and brought up here.
- 2 - because I could.

For Both reasons I have no regrets. I am sorry if this sounds like the post of an arrogant git. Maybe I am an arrogant git. I think that I have mellowed substantially in my time here, and I thank this country for doing that.

excellent post i raise my glass to you
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Pom

Life Is Good.

- 2 - because I could.

Professional Pom, really enjoyed that.

We are all on the same venture, ie. moving to or living in Oz, some people live in different social climbs and work in differing professions totally, their experiences are ALL valid and useful.

Hopefully your opinions and findings will be as respected, valid and useful as any other who has posted on this forum.

Cheers
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:00 pm
bromley to brisbane

ClareBear is on a distinguished road

hugely useful post, and very comforting info. reassures me that we're making the right decision!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous...just what we needed to know.Some of our job seeking fears are allayed somewhat ! Even with research done and contacts made, as you point out,going as a "suit" it is a different kettle of fish. Thanks and all the best.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 5:57 pm
Not long now..

robs12 is an unknown quantity at this point

As above - except I'm not sure why you expect to get banned

I suspect that there are many more of us 'wearing ties' than apparent from the posts here (or elsewhere).
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:04 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robs12
As above - except I'm not sure why you expect to get banned

I suspect that there are many more of us 'wearing ties' than apparent from the posts here (or elsewhere).
i dont do the crytic crossword robs12
what do you mean??

and back to the OP
excellent well balanced post

well up to the point you mentioned bannanas
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:11 pm
Not long now..

Originally Posted by steve`o
i dont do the crytic crossword robs12
what do you mean??

and back to the OP
excellent well balanced post

well up to the point you mentioned bannanas
Errr....

'As above' meaning congrats on a good post as all those posts above..

I'm not sure why he expects to get banned? <<I posted this under an assumed name, fully expect to get banned.>>

I suspect there are many more professionals/managers on the forum here than apparent from the posts <<When I was looking at emigrating all I could see were tales of trades people. No disrespect meant but life is different for different people.Nobody in my career bracket had posted their experiences.>>

Sorry if that wasn't clear...err...appeared cryptic...

p.s. bannanas - didn't you know people in ties don't use spelchecjkers??

Last edited by robs12; Aug 2nd 2006 at 6:14 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:15 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robs12
Errr....

'As above' meaning congrats on a good post as all those posts above..

I'm not sure why he expects to get banned? <<I posted this under an assumed name, fully expect to get banned.>>

I suspect there are many more professionals/managers on the forum here than apparent from the posts <<When I was looking at emigrating all I could see were tales of trades people. No disrespect meant but life is different for different people.Nobody in my career bracket had posted their experiences.>>

Sorry if that wasn't clear...err...appeared cryptic...

p.s. bannanas - didn't you know people in ties don't use spelchecjkers??
thanks

its hard being just a thick electrician
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:20 pm
Not long now..

Originally Posted by steve`o
thanks

its hard being just a thick electrician
No worries ....it's often just as hard to be an arrogant git...at least that's what I try to convince myself
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Firth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really nice
Smile Re: 18 months in Aus...

Really enjoyed this post to see from a different perspective - but at the end of the day, be trade or professional, we all have something in common - we want to be in Australia!!
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:33 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting and reassuring post.

Thank you.

Gina
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:36 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Tradies or professionals, we are all like minded people in wanting a better life.

Good post, heres to a happy life!

Vics x
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:45 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Can I just say professional pom, i thought you post was hey, ok, you, (unlike me ), obviously have a bob or two, but you, obviously have manners as well, as it didn't appear that you were rubbing anyone's nose in it. I appreciated the fact , just sharing your experiences, so good luck to ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.