Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

18 and going alone, can you help?

18 and going alone, can you help?

Old May 24th 2006, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice
Wink 18 and going alone, can you help?

Hi,

Im going to Brisbane on the 28 of August! can't wait!

Ive got a residency visa thats for my whole family, but they decided not to go dispite getting the visa and all of us entering the country 18 months ago, but now i want to go back on my own. Im sure that I can go on my own as I have my own Visa. but....

I hear people saying that I'll need money in my account before they will let me back, my parents payed a bond of a few K but they've got that back now.

Can I just skate back into the country without question, stay the 2 years and get a passport without my parents?

So far no one can answer this on the web...

Also as an 18 year old on fairly crap pay in the UK. I cant afford to run a car pay its insurance and rent a place here at the same time here, if im on a scrape above minimum wage in OZ could I afford that there? Coz if I could afford that change in lifestyle that would be enough to keep me there im sure.

Probably an annoying thread but its my last refuge, I'd hate to have to cancel my ticket.
Old May 24th 2006, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 and going alone, can you help?

Originally Posted by Liamruscoe
Hi,

Im going to Brisbane on the 28 of August! can't wait!

Ive got a residency visa thats for my whole family, but they decided not to go dispite getting the visa and all of us entering the country 18 months ago, but now i want to go back on my own. Im sure that I can go on my own as I have my own Visa. but....

I hear people saying that I'll need money in my account before they will let me back, my parents payed a bond of a few K but they've got that back now.

Can I just skate back into the country without question, stay the 2 years and get a passport without my parents?

So far no one can answer this on the web...

Also as an 18 year old on fairly crap pay in the UK. I cant afford to run a car pay its insurance and rent a place here at the same time here, if im on a scrape above minimum wage in OZ could I afford that there? Coz if I could afford that change in lifestyle that would be enough to keep me there im sure.

Probably an annoying thread but its my last refuge, I'd hate to have to cancel my ticket.

I've never heard of a "residency visa" what is one??

Or another question what visa class is it??
Old May 24th 2006, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by WendyC
I've never heard of a "residency visa" what is one??

Or another question what visa class is it??

Ok erm I've got my passport here it says:

CLASS BQ RESIDENT s730
SUB CLASS 139

MUST NOT ARRIVE AFTER MAY 2008. MULTIPUL TRAVEL
HOLDER(S) PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA INDEFINITELY

Help?
Old May 24th 2006, 7:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Your visa type is skilled designated area sponsered visa which means that your family applying were headed to a specific area and must stay there for a time (18 months / 2 years - I really cant remember). Anyway, point is that there are some conditions to your visa that you will need to check out and ask either your family or Immigration.

I think that its vital that you do some background work here. If you family obtained bond money back, it could be that the visa grant has been cancelled. Ask them for the papers to do with this and then check it out carefully. You could always email immigration and find out yourself in a worst case scenario.

As to money - its like anywhere in the world. If you are determined, can find work and be prepared for the bad times as well as good then I'm sure you can make it happen for you. Of course its harder without money but not imposible.

Good luck!
Old May 24th 2006, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers centurion.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a decent email address that I can put my questions too?

Liam
Old May 24th 2006, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok erm I've got my passport here it says:

CLASS BQ RESIDENT s730
SUB CLASS 139

MUST NOT ARRIVE AFTER MAY 2008. MULTIPUL TRAVEL
HOLDER(S) PERMITTED TO REMAIN IN AUSTRALIA INDEFINITELY

Help?

Right from what I can see, you should have an "assurance of support" lodged with centrelink already, or is this the money you say has been paid back?

The assurance of support is there for the event you need to claim any benefits. If this is still in place then I see no reason why it would matter how much you take, as any benefits that you may be entitled to and apply for will come out of that money and be paid back to centrelink.

If that is not still in place then you may need to satisfy immigration that you have sufficient funds and/or a job to enable you to live without claiming any benefits for at least two years.

This is just my opinion, I would advise you post this on the immigration part of the forum and see if one of the agents can answer your question. To get an accurate answer, make sure you put in the visa class, which is 139
Old May 24th 2006, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers centurion.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a decent email address that I can put my questions too?

Liam

try this link
Old May 24th 2006, 8:01 pm

df79 will become famous soon enoughdf79 will become famous soon enough

Cheers centurion.

Liam
Hi Liam

If you decide to go - good luck to you. I lived in Aus for a year, so if you have any questions fire away. One thing though, do some research - check when is the latest you can go - and stay at home and save up as much money as you can in the meantime.

Take Care

David
Old May 24th 2006, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ok just called my parents they say that after 2 years from innitially entering the country Australia Immigration found them and gave the money back, they did not request it.

They are also now assuring me that I can go without money submitted on the basis that Au had it for 2 years and gave it back of there own accord without specificaly knowing that we were not still in australia.

Emailing Immigration anyway! haha

Hey David, I'll be taking a few quid with me, probably about 2k. measly I know but I've got aunties uncles, grans and grandads out there and I'll have a job lined up as soon as I arrive
Old May 24th 2006, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok just called my parents they say that after 2 years from innitially entering the country Australia Immigration found them and gave the money back, they did not request it.

They are also now assuring me that I can go without money submitted on the basis that Au had it for 2 years and gave it back of there own accord without specificaly knowing that we were not still in australia.

Emailing Immigration anyway! haha

Hey David, I'll be taking a few quid with me, probably about 2k. measly I know but I've got aunties uncles, grans and grandads out there and I'll have a job lined up as soon as I arrive

Good luck to you Liam
Old May 24th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers guys you have been a great help in getting my ass into gear today!

Ive booked my ticket!!! and ironed out my visa doubts!

Thanks again
Old May 24th 2006, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys you have been a great help in getting my ass into gear today!

Ive booked my ticket!!! and ironed out my visa doubts!

Thanks again
Well done on making such a grown up decision and then acting upon it!!
Old May 24th 2006, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Liamruscoe]

QUOTE]

Liam it will all depend on your qualifications, your work experience, how you present yourself in a job interview etc etc etc. You may well end up in similar situation, but will have a better climate to live in.
Good luck with whatever happens, but don't expect to be given a better lifestyle (i.e. more dosh, car to name a few) in Australia as jobs can be hard to come by and wages are lower (although living costs are slightly lower on the whole)
Old May 24th 2006, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

As long as DIMA have *their* money upfront, assurances, et cetera, (whatever that might be) and the visa is valid they won't care how much personal money you have.

After all, you are a permanent citizen; you're not a working holiday maker - they often get asked for proof of funds and a return ticket.

On the lifestyle front, you are young enough to battle anything out.

The only thing is, you will need a car. In the UK you might get away without.
You may well have as much opportunity in Australia as in the UK.
Old May 25th 2006, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Liam,

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Please let us know how you get on. Which part of Australia are you going to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.