Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

176 VISA - Question regarding Government jobs

176 VISA - Question regarding Government jobs

Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

fraser_mac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 176 VISA - Question regarding Government jobs

We are currently in the process of applying for the 176 Visa - Skiled Sponsored Visa for ACT.

We are getting mixed stories on jobs in Canberra as most are government based positions which are for Australian Citizens..... would the above visa allow us to apply and be employed for such jobs?

My backround is as I.T Mgr.

Cheers
Fraser
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 176 VISA - Question regarding Government jobs

Originally Posted by fraser_mac
We are currently in the process of applying for the 176 Visa - Skiled Sponsored Visa for ACT.

We are getting mixed stories on jobs in Canberra as most are government based positions which are for Australian Citizens..... would the above visa allow us to apply and be employed for such jobs?

My backround is as I.T Mgr.

Cheers
Fraser
No. If the job is Commonwealth gov't then you would more than likely need either citizenship or eligibility for citizenship, which is currently 4 years of residence. The 176 is a permanent resident visa.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Okay throws another light on it...... maybe it was wishful thinking regarding Canberra
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I'd be interested to know if this also applies to jobs with the regional governments? (specifically QLD) I'll be over on a 175 visa (if all goes well!)
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
I'd be interested to know if this also applies to jobs with the regional governments? (specifically QLD) I'll be over on a 175 visa (if all goes well!)
Qld Govt will employ people in permanent positions as long as they are PR or citizens, so you'd be OK there. Temp visa holders can only hold temp positions. There are a few jobs which require citizenship but they are very rare.

Other States have their own rules.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

helsbells79 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on a 175 visa...and had the same question regarding a Federal police job...so phoned the head of the department I wanted to apply for. He told me that there are some jobs that are only open to citizens because of security (??)..but that for skilled roles which they may struggle to find a suitable candidate they would accept applications from residents. However, the HR department refused to accept my application!!!!

So I went back to the dept manager and he eventually offered me a temporary position, with view to moving to permanent at a later date.

So moral of the story is, that some positions may be advertised as Citizens only but it I would advise to speak directly to the person recruiting.

Hope this helps
Helen
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:21 am
Just Joined

Helsbells thanks for that.

Mixed stories are coming in thick and fast.... but it's not putting us off.... we are going to go for it and see what happens!

Thanks for everyones helps!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by fraser_mac
Helsbells thanks for that.

Mixed stories are coming in thick and fast.... but it's not putting us off.... we are going to go for it and see what happens!

Thanks for everyones helps!
Federal/Commonwealth Government Positions
There is no absolute requirement for Australian citizenship.
However, there is a general expectation that a person who is to be engaged as an Australian Public Service (APS) employee will be an Australian citizen, although non-citizens can be engaged in certain circumstances.

Like a number of other countries, the Australian Government considers that it is appropriate for government employees to be Australian citizens as a demonstration of their commitment to, and long-term stake in, the future of Australia.

Section 22(8) of the PS Act requires an agency head not to engage, as an APS employee, a person who is not an Australian citizen unless the agency head considers it appropriate to do so.
Federal Government Positions:
www.apsc.gov.au/publications04/conditions6.htm

Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Qld Govt will employ people in permanent positions as long as they are PR or citizens, so you'd be OK there. Temp visa holders can only hold temp positions. There are a few jobs which require citizenship but they are very rare.

Thanks for that Polly. Now all I need is the visa then I can get applying for jobs!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiestar
Thanks for that Polly. Now all I need is the visa then I can get applying for jobs!
You might already have this, but www.jobs.qld.gov.au is the best site for you to start job-hunting
Old May 8th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

JohnJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Anyone know what the situation is in relation to WA government- and also is it reasonable to assume that there are at least as many non Commonwealth government jobs as there are Commonwealth jobs in WA. Thanks
Old May 8th 2009, 11:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There is no absolute requirement for Australian citizenship.
However, there is a general expectation that a person who is to be engaged as an Australian Public Service (APS) employee will be an Australian citizen, although non-citizens can be engaged in certain circumstances.
So... there is no requirement but you can forget it if you don't have citizenship. I can see the hairs being split from here.
Old May 8th 2009, 11:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JohnJ
Anyone know what the situation is in relation to WA government- and also is it reasonable to assume that there are at least as many non Commonwealth government jobs as there are Commonwealth jobs in WA. Thanks
State governments are able to employ non citizens, and they even employ some people on temp visas.

My guess is that the States will have more employees in their State, than the Commonwealth would have in that State.

Old May 8th 2009, 11:55 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JohnJ
Have a look here for WA State Govt jobs.