Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

175 Visa Granted. What Medicare Entitlements am I entitled to?

175 Visa Granted. What Medicare Entitlements am I entitled to?

Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

cormaclynch will become famous soon enough
Default 175 Visa Granted. What Medicare Entitlements am I entitled to?

We have been granted our 175 last Monday and we are hoping to go to Australia at the start of July.

I'm just wondering if we are entitled to medical cover under the medicare scheme and if so how much does it cost?

And should we be loking into private medical care also or is medicare sufficient?

CHeers in advance for any info.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

JoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really niceJoeBlogsOfOz is just really nice
Default Re: 175 Visa Granted. What Medicare Entitlements am I entitled to?

Of course you are entitled to Medicare like any other permanent resident or citizen. Private Insurance, however, depends if you are willing to pay for it. It also depends on how much you will be earning, because if you are earning above a certain threshold you will have to pay Medicare Levy Surcharge, which turns out to be almost the same as Private insurance premium, except that you don't have private insurance. Without complicating it too much, the short answer will be, Medicare Yes, Private Insurance pay for it if you need it and also consult your accountant on that.

cheers.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 1:29 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

and the most important thing is ambulance cover.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cormaclynch
We have been granted our 175 last Monday and we are hoping to go to Australia at the start of July.

I'm just wondering if we are entitled to medical cover under the medicare scheme and if so how much does it cost?

And should we be loking into private medical care also or is medicare sufficient?

CHeers in advance for any info.
Congrats on the visa.

Medicare itself doesn't cost anything. The various treatments cost different amounts. I was dreading taking my son to the hospital today expecting a bill of $300, but it was bulk billed so cost me nothing.
We have just taken out private medical, especially for ambulance cover and extras, dentists, opticians etc. but we kept the hospital cover to a minimum because medicare does cover a fair amount. It's all personal preference though. And like JoeBloggs said if you earn over a certain amount you have to pay tax potentially equivalent to the private insurance. (Approx $200-$260/month for family of 4)