Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

175 people apply for a job in a bakers!!!

175 people apply for a job in a bakers!!!

Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:46 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default 175 people apply for a job in a bakers!!!

I rang up for a job today in a bread shop called Brumbys. Part time ( just to have someone other than hubby and daughter to talk to) hours between 6am and 6pm. I was told that 175 people had already applied and he was finding it very difficult to narrow it down!!!

Stuff that I though, just take me then you've narrowed it right down! But couldn't quite get my words out in time.

He did ring back tonight though and said I was 'unlucky' this time! I tell you, it's like the lottery! I can't even get a job in a BAKERS!!!!:scared:

No I'am ok really
Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:50 pm
WBB

Default Re: 175 people apply for a job in a bakers!!!

Originally posted by janeyray
I rang up for a job today in a bread shop called Brumbys. Part time ( just to have someone other than hubby and daughter to talk to) hours between 6am and 6pm. I was told that 175 people had already applied and he was finding it very difficult to narrow it down!!!

Stuff that I though, just take me then you've narrowed it right down! But couldn't quite get my words out in time.

He did ring back tonight though and said I was 'unlucky' this time! I tell you, it's like the lottery! I can't even get a job in a BAKERS!!!!:scared:

No I'am ok really

175!!!

that is unbelievable, was the money really good or something?

seems a hell of a lot of applications for a bakery (no offence to any bakers)

Old Dec 11th 2003, 12:58 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
175!!!

that is unbelievable, was the money really good or something?

seems a hell of a lot of applications for a bakery (no offence to any bakers)
Funny thing was, we never got round to talking about money!! A job like this would only pay around $12 a hour though, if that?

Makes you wonder how many applications other jobs get?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:02 pm
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

dont a lot of people apply for jobs like that jsut so they can be seen to seeking work in order to continue their unemployment benefit? its a thought anyway. is the work situation really that bad in perth?
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:08 pm
home again, home again

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fuzzyness
dont a lot of people apply for jobs like that jsut so they can be seen to seeking work in order to continue their unemployment benefit?

Hey if that were true I surely stood a better chance at getting the job!!! Don't make me feel any worse!!!! (Only Joking!)

It seems better/easier for some than others. Hubby got offered a job srtaight away and has never had so many job offers and keeps flitting from one job to another!! CNC Operator.

I can turn my hand to most things ( ) but still no joy! I've given up emailing to agencies for jobs via Seek.com and now only phone up or post applications.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Janeyray

That was alot of applicants for one job. Maybe you should set up your own recruitment agency and save the poor employers trying to choose between 170 + people.

Hope you find something soon.

footie chick
Old Dec 11th 2003, 1:38 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

They must have the BEST cakes in town and there is staff discount!!

Don't get downhearted, Janeyray, I am sure there is a job out there for you and this one would have been bad for your waistline, anyway.
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:03 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Unemployment is low at the moment for Oz but still 5.6%. Also lots of students looking for summer jobs at the moment. Lots of competition.

I got turned down for four jobs today. You think I would be getting used to it, but it makes you feel really fed up. I haven't applied for anything for the last couple of weeks, now we have the van there isn't much point and its nice not to have to keep waiting for responses.

I kept thinking that if we planned to travel a job offer would turn up, but apparently not.

Never mind a lady of leisure I will have to be. Not too bad a life
Old Dec 11th 2003, 2:08 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Jirrupin

I got turned down for four jobs today.

God, how soul destroying - you seem to be keeping fairly chipper though - good on yer!
Old Dec 11th 2003, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Bad isnt jane i went for one at the airport , they had 5 positions to fill and over 150 of us went for it , i got to the last 15 but got no further. It took me 11 months to get a job in a gift shop casual hours 50 went for that job , i got it i was so happy. Mind you now im not enjoying it im getting bored so will keep looking , the main thing is i now have WA experience on CV.
Joanne
Bad luck jane chin up , lets meet for coffee instead
Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Look on the bright side - too many mince pies are bad for you.

Bad luck Jane, look if Jo is employable they you definately are!!!!
Old Dec 12th 2003, 12:43 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
I rang up for a job today in a bread shop called Brumbys.

Thats a lot of people tring to earn a decent crust. They obviously need the dough

...sorry
Old Dec 12th 2003, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Di i will take that in a nice way
Old Dec 12th 2003, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Believe me 175 applications is nothing - 300 to 400 is more the norm for unqualified jobs.

I have, in the past, spoken to friends who have been in the position of hiring people. Generally what goes on is that the applications are sorted firstly by age........chuck out those over 30, then by location...........don't want anyone living too far away, then by gender.............got to have the right sex working on the job, then by experience..............by this time they are usually down to about 20 - 25 applications that they will actually bother to read through. Don't bank on getting an acknowledgement for any application either - with that many coming in most employers just don't bother.
Old Dec 12th 2003, 2:10 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Believe me 175 applications is nothing - 300 to 400 is more the norm for unqualified jobs.

I have, in the past, spoken to friends who have been in the position of hiring people. Generally what goes on is that the applications are sorted firstly by age........chuck out those over 30, then by location...........don't want anyone living too far away, then by gender.............got to have the right sex working on the job, then by experience..............by this time they are usually down to about 20 - 25 applications that they will actually bother to read through. Don't bank on getting an acknowledgement for any application either - with that many coming in most employers just don't bother.
Well its sounds as though I should save my money on stamps, letters and phone calls if that information is correct. At 36 I would be chucked out at the first hurdle. I guess we have been lucky to get a response when we have, even though it was always a 'we have appointed someone else'.