Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

17 weeks to go and haven't sold house!

17 weeks to go and haven't sold house!

Old Jul 11th 2004, 3:46 pm
TOB
Forum Regular

TOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 weeks to go and haven't sold house!

Hi all,

Been some time since being on here (work have blocked forums!)but thought I would write to see if there are any other stressed people out there!!

We fly to Sydney in 17 weeks (4th Nov) and we still are yet to sell our house. It's been on the market since March and we've had 2 offers and both have pulled out. We live in a 3 bed semi in Braintree in Essex and thought the house would be snapped up as it's in a good location near to town and station! If anyone has any tips on selling it quickly then please let me know! I am getting so stressed as we really need to sell the house in order to go in November.

Is anyone else in the same predicament?

Thanks

TOB
Old Jul 11th 2004, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Goochc0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 17 weeks to go and haven't sold house!

Hi TOB

We are aiming on flying out same time as you and we have not put house on market yet - although we will be in next few weeks.

There are several things you can do

1) Home Stagers if you feel the property needs any work. (We are currently getting our property ready for sale which will hopefully result in a faster sale time)
2) You could try ringing round relocation agents who operate in your area
www.relocationagents.com
I am professional relocator and house hunter in the North East of England and people call me all of the time to ask if I have a client looking for their type of house. Just think if you sell it this way you will save on Estate Agents Fees and this will give you a few extra pounds to spend in Oz.

Also when considering offers get as much info as you possibly can - ie have they got their finances sorted/ are they in a chain etc before you make a decision.

If they have both pulled out after survey - is there a problem that needs to be addressed (Roof/ Damp etc)

Good luck I hope you sell quickly and find a chain free cash buyer (much easier)
Old Jul 11th 2004, 4:21 pm
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Been some time since being on here (work have blocked forums!)but thought I would write to see if there are any other stressed people out there!!

We fly to Sydney in 17 weeks (4th Nov) and we still are yet to sell our house. It's been on the market since March and we've had 2 offers and both have pulled out. We live in a 3 bed semi in Braintree in Essex and thought the house would be snapped up as it's in a good location near to town and station! If anyone has any tips on selling it quickly then please let me know! I am getting so stressed as we really need to sell the house in order to go in November.

Thanks

TOB

Hey TOB,

We just put our house on the market last week; 3 bed semi in Braintree (near the newish Tesco) and are hoping to go to Oz in September. Still haven't received visa yet though, so maybe we're being a little bit optimistic. Our estate agent said 3 bed semis in our area are selling quickly, but from what you've said, I'm beginning to wonder.

Cheers

Houdini.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Hiya,

I haven`t really any useful advice to give you, but to advertise your propery everywhere and anywhere you can.

The house market has slowed down quite a bit down here on the south coast, and there are quite a few on this forum that are feeling the pressure.

All I can say is that if you wanna sell by that date you will really have to be flexible.
Go mutiple agents.......its not that more pricey if you haggle with the agents.
Put it on every internet site that you can, (we did this and got emails long after we had sold) and put ads up in your local stores.

All the best
Old Jul 11th 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Hi Tob!
you think you're stressed! our buyers pulled out two weeks ago after the sale was a month in hand! We got a full asking offer the following day but their house wasn't on the market so they put it on but as yet have had no offers, they dropped their price by £5k, so hopefully will get a buyer soon! The shippers are here Wed/Thursday of this week, our leaving do is 13th August (a Friday) and we fly on 7th September, thats if our visa comes by then (we have lodged bond and are just waiting!)
so yep, someone else is as stressed as you!
Kind regards
Rach, Mark and Chanelle x
Old Jul 11th 2004, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Thanks

TOB
Hi, we are waiting for a buyer before we can leave for Oz.

Not trying to depress you further but apparently, the market is a bit slow at the moment due to the two recent interest rate increases. My mate who is a solicitor dealing with house purchases tells me that loads of chains have broken down due to the first time buyers going back to rental as they want to wait and see what happens to the market. I would therefore suggest that it's not a problem with your house just the state of the market. I reckon things will stabilise soon & things will start moving again.

We haven't booked tickets etc. yet as know that even an offer doesn't secure the purchase & we are trying to make the sale/move to Oz as least stressful as we can. It's just a pain tidying up for viewings esp as we have a toddler who likes to undo what I just done....

What I would say is don't tell any buyers you are emigrating in case they start taking the pee just before exchange ie. start bargaining over price, what's included etc. Just tell 'em you are moving out of the area due to work relocation & going into rental accomodation.

Good luck!
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:58 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by TOB
Hi all,

Thanks

TOB
Any idea what, if anything, put your potential buyers off? House Staging sounds like the way to go.