Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is 16 years old the age

is 16 years old the age

Old Feb 28th 2003, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default is 16 years old the age

at what age does a child from a previous married able to leave his mum and come to see his dad in oz?
my son was 16 in feb this year and wants to come out for a visit or to live, but his mum will not let him come. know can he say sorry mum but i want to go and just leave for oz. is 16 the age.
thanks for any help shaun and lor
Old Mar 1st 2003, 7:59 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re Visitation

There should not be a problem with a visitation. My friends son from Melborne who is know 14 has plans to come and see dad in Uk. A registered person will look after him on flight.

At 16 are you still considered a minor? If so regarding possible son migration - I would of thought that an order through the courts would have to me made as mum will also have parental responsibility.

I have got three girls from my 1st husband - they have not seen dad for 6 years. My patner/husband addopted them 2 years ago. Therfore natural dad has no longer parental responsibility.

We can therefore apply to come to Australia without his consent.

Boomerang

Last edited by Boomie; Mar 1st 2003 at 8:01 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default cheers

hi thanks for that, yes i understand about the traveling.
what i would really like to find out is at what age can my children who live at the moment in uk with their mother decide for themselves that they want to leave her either for a holiday or for good and come to stay with us in oz.
is the age 16,17,18? when can they choose.
she will oppose anything i suggest as far as them coming to see us, but through phone calls and text messages to my kids both would dearly like to come and see if they would like to make it their homes.
one is 12yrs the other 16yrs
any ideas anyone shaun and lor
Old Mar 1st 2003, 9:32 pm

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re:- Visitation

I would of thought with legal advice, that to maintain a relationship with your children the courts would have no problem agreeing to you seeing your children one or twice a year on a visitation and take it from there. No contact is not on really it it.

I have five children and the three older ones 15, 13, 11, rule with their feet!!

I must agree coming to Oz to the kids would seem a great package.
Old Mar 1st 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default no hope

while in the uk i had a court order which cost me thousands of pounds in the law courts to get and when i arrived at the house was told no she wasent letting them come today, this happened on a few occasions at a time and when i went to the police with my court order they said it was nothing to do with them and i would have to go back to court so i did and 6 mnth later when the court appearance happend i was told by the judge and the court welfare officer that i was wasting my time they would not fine her as she had no income except what i was paying her so i would end up paying the fine in theaory and they would not put her in custody as she had the kids to look after and he would not let me have the kids as i had a job and was supporting everyone catch 22 i think its called,
so back to my question when can a child leagelly make up there own mind to leave the perant with custody in favour of living with the other perant
Old Mar 1st 2003, 9:58 pm

Default To be honest

To be honest - I know kids are more mature in what they want these days but

I think it's 18 when they can say what they want to do because if my husband hadn't of adopted the children and they still saw their dad we would not be allowed to apply to migrate to Oz without his blessing as he would of had parental responsibity.

Therefore I think that mum will continue to put a spanner in the works until then. I don't know about when the younger one reaches 14 when the other one is 18 - the courts don't like splitting sibblings so maybe they would be allowed to come together.

As it happens this was not the case for me, but I really do think it's eighteen.

Boomerang

Last edited by Boomie; Mar 2nd 2003 at 11:01 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Age

Hi
The Australian courts do not recognize English law courts and untill your children are 18 they cannot come.So even when your children leave school they have to be 18 to fly alone Especially when the 13 Year old girl ran of with the Turkish Waiter they have stepped up all this due to that and other things.