Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:39 pm
Merlot

Default Re: 16 years away from the UK, first impressions.

Originally Posted by glittababe
Ahh but we have worked hard for our choices! Also the kids love travelling and seeing new places, so we want them to experience as many different cultures as possible!
Good outlook.

M

Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Just in response to these last few posts, from a career point of view. I would certainly say that the UK is the better place to be. Pays more, more scope for changing jobs, more upward movement. Unless one has an exceptionally unique skill I'd say the UK wins in this area.

Although I would counter that by saying if one only has an average job, like myself in Melbourne at present, working for aussie post etc, Then personally now I'm better of in Aussie.

However when I left the UK 20 plus years ago, I did have a Career mapped out in the square mile, (city of london) thats long gone now, even If i moved back to the uk, I could never regain a similar position.

On another issue, wouldn't it be great to get these long summer english daylight days in aussie. However countering that, in LLandudno 2 days ago, I swear I saw some condensation on my breath, cant remember the last time that happened in aussie even in winter

Still so far, very even on lifestyles, most people I'm mixing with, sofar, have grown up kids, or has retired on a good pension, so besides my twice divorced sister, everyone has plenty of money.

My brother is an interesting case actually, as a HGV licence holder here, he is able to maintain a very good lifestyle, in Simpson in MKeynes, From asking him He managed somehow to manoeuver himself into a position of buying one of the few council houses there very cheaply, so has a very small mortgage. However with two young kids 7 and 2 with a a non working wife, (whoops child raising mums work very hard sorry lol) manages to own a late model car, have european holidays and fix his house up on one wage. I dont think a single income 'employed' truck driver in aussie would/could be better off. From his unique point of view a move to aussie could render him worse off. A truck owner in aussie maybe better off for all I know, they would be away from home a lot more than him though.

more later..

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 7th 2005 at 7:12 am.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
You do realise that a few hundred potential migrants will be hanging on for your final verdict? Australia or the UK?

Wish I'd waited before confirming our tickets!!
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, I will be thinking hard before I make any comments NKSK, I will add though my views are my own, and others in my situation may well have very different expeirences to mine. There again I'm trying to be as independant and honest in my thoughts/views as I possibly can.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:30 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

And they make for compulsive reading! It's interesting to hear how the UK is perceived by someone who's not been there for a while. I think it really makes all the push factors people often cite seem a little insignificant, when your posts really seem to be highlighting the similarities between the UK and Aus.

You sound like you're having a great time exploring!

GG

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yes, thanks for pointing that out, I will be thinking hard before I make any comments NKSK, I will add though my views are my own, and others in my situation may well have very different expeirences to mine. There again I'm trying to be as independant and honest in my thoughts/views as I possibly can.
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

Originally Posted by TopCat3
Sounds like Sydney too.
But without the Harbour? Or Bridge? Or Opera House? Or Manly?
Old Jun 7th 2005, 7:50 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

When we arrived here 20 months or so ago, a Welshman who has lived in Blue Mountains for years and oes back to the UK every 2 years, said that the main difference when all said and done is...WEATHER.

After nearly 2 years here, for me the same difference when all said and one is...WEATHER! It's that fickle folks. Space is not a benefit in the main cities in Australia. But of course the weather allows you to do more outdoor stuff.

For both me (psychologist) and my wife (counsellor), career-wise the UK is significantly better. But the blue skies and sunshine make for easy living for now at least...
Old Jun 7th 2005, 8:10 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
When we arrived here 20 months or so ago, a Welshman who has lived in Blue Mountains for years and oes back to the UK every 2 years, said that the main difference when all said and done is...WEATHER.

After nearly 2 years here, for me the same difference when all said and one is...WEATHER! It's that fickle folks. Space is not a benefit in the main cities in Australia. But of course the weather allows you to do more outdoor stuff.

For both me (psychologist) and my wife (counsellor), career-wise the UK is significantly better. But the blue skies and sunshine make for easy living for now at least...
Great point. I was going to post a similar view earlier but it does sound so fickle!

Whenever we talk through the bad points we always end up with - but it will be sunny!

I'm looking out of the window now and it's glorious and this gives you second thoughts but project yourself to Oct (and anytime thereon!) and it's completely different!!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 11:15 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

in LLandudno 2 days ago, I swear I saw some condensation on my breath, cant remember the last time that happened in aussie even in winter

Is winter in Melbourne now - waiting for the train each morning, I and others on the platform waiting for the train have the condensation of the breath happening
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Banksia
But without the Harbour? Or Bridge? Or Opera House? Or Manly?
Yes...and without the climate too! When I go to the Harbour, Bridge, Opera House and to the Northern Beaches I remember why I am here. As for insfrastructure strain, traffic, crime increase bla-di-bla, on a day to day getting-on-with-life basis, after a certain number of years (which probably differs from person to person, it's hard to still be in that "agape" (in love) mode, life kind of takes over. I guess I'm just jaded (faded?) and it takes more to inspire me now.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NJJ
Is winter in Melbourne now - waiting for the train each morning, I and others on the platform waiting for the train have the condensation of the breath happening
Are you up in the mountins or something ? I must check this out when i get back in late July !

Beautiful weather here in Mkeynes today, 23/24 plus, I was sweating in my Bro's conservatory.

Went to MK central, first expereince (this time around)
of a big modern english shopping centre, pretty good as well, however. 5 coffees, 3 kids cakes at startbucks came to 15 quid, thats about 45 dollars. From now on we take our own rolls etc with us lol, will still buy coffee though

So many family members coming forwards, that we cannot get away to London etc yet, bright side of that is lots of beer

oh oh, more company, best go
Old Jun 9th 2005, 5:46 pm
Merlot

Are you up in the mountins or something ? I must check this out when i get back in late July !

Beautiful weather here in Mkeynes today, 23/24 plus, I was sweating in my Bro's conservatory.

Went to MK central, first expereince (this time around)
of a big modern english shopping centre, pretty good as well, however. 5 coffees, 3 kids cakes at startbucks came to 15 quid, thats about 45 dollars. From now on we take our own rolls etc with us lol, will still buy coffee though

So many family members coming forwards, that we cannot get away to London etc yet, bright side of that is lots of beer

oh oh, more company, best go
Fab here in Teesside too, great for drying washing (Boring Housewife Alert).

Glad your trip is progressing well, how do you like the long nights?

Keep us posted.

M

Old Jun 9th 2005, 6:57 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

People have been great, I mean people that we don't know, very freindly reactions, from people in the street, right through to shopworkers. So old memories of indifference from people from the past, when I lived here, have been dispelled. Is that because we are tourists, or have people changed in the 16 years since I've been here ? I suspect it's mostly because people have changed. Good news all around really, especially for people that live here in Britain.
Nope. It is much more likely that YOU have changed and have become an Aussie in outlook, which is recognised by others.

Hence the friendlier reception.
Old Jun 9th 2005, 10:11 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by Don
Nope. It is much more likely that YOU have changed and have become an Aussie in outlook, which is recognised by others.

Tourists and blow-ins are always recognised differently to locals.
One of the good things about Australia is that ordinary people tend to make more of an effort in their day to day lives.When I came back from Australia I actually made an effort every day for a year to say hello etc - and I got the response back. People used to comment. So where are you from in Australia then - they assumed I was not local as I was 'different'.

Can't talk about Eagle. It's possible people have changed.

badge

Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Don

Good point Don, and one that I take onboard. One tangible very noticable difference in this Galley hill estate, in Mkeynes, which I know well from the past. Last time I was here circa 89, the local shop(s) had boarded up windows, to stop vandals smashing them, Those boards were not there when I lived here briefly in the late 70's. This time around, the boards have gone, the shops look clean, and the people in the estate look freindly. Strange how the place can go from good, when new, to bad, and now back to good. It's a personal observation, However I base a lot on this and use these pointers to show how things have improved in England.

Really enjoying this trip.

(not enough, to want to live here though )
Old Jun 10th 2005, 9:30 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

)

No hes in sunny Malvern now!!

After training we all steam now!! I am kind of at the bottom of the Dandenongs A beautiful 21 here wed Ozzie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.