Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

16 year old - school or college?

16 year old - school or college?

Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:05 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default 16 year old - school or college?

Hi

My daughter turns 16 tomorrow and is due to sit her GCSE's shortly. If we are successful with our visa we would look to move to Oz Dec 06/Jan 07. I have read that children go to school until the age of 18 in Australia.

Will my daughter have to go back to school, even though she has her GCSE's, or will she be able to go to college at 16?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

Ali X
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

wayne&mandy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 16 year old - school or college?

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi

My daughter turns 16 tomorrow and is due to sit her GCSE's shortly. If we are successful with our visa we would look to move to Oz Dec 06/Jan 07. I have read that children go to school until the age of 18 in Australia.

Will my daughter have to go back to school, even though she has her GCSE's, or will she be able to go to college at 16?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks.

Ali X
Hi, our middle daughter will be in the same boat just about to take GCSE's. Apparently kids can leave school BUT they have to be in further education or training or apprentiships or work, they cannot just leave and do nothing. What does she want to do, our daughter had applied to go to beauty college here so wants to do the same over there, we are just looking into it and had email from one place which sounds promising. Where abouts are you hoping to settle?

Mandy
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Angela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond reputeAngela Marie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=wayne&mandy]
Yeah we are in this predicament, unfortunately my son has an apprenticeship to start in the UK which he will have to leave, and I know once he has started He will be gutted - don't suppose its easy for any young person of this age - but we did put off our move whilst He chose options, and 2 years on we found ourselves putting off again.

Young people these days have a magnificent confidence and resilience and I am sure all our kids will do just fine whatever choices and opportunities life throws them.
angela
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:18 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wayne&mandy
Hi, our middle daughter will be in the same boat just about to take GCSE's. Apparently kids can leave school BUT they have to be in further education or training or apprentiships or work, they cannot just leave and do nothing. What does she want to do, our daughter had applied to go to beauty college here so wants to do the same over there, we are just looking into it and had email from one place which sounds promising. Where abouts are you hoping to settle?

Mandy
Hi Mandy

My daughter wants to do beauty therapy as well. She had her college assessment today and has been accepted to start Beauty College in September. We're hoping to settle just outside of Brisbane and were hoping that she could study beauty over there as well. Where are you looking to settle?

Ali
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

Annie get your gun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi Mandy

My daughter wants to do beauty therapy as well. She had her college assessment today and has been accepted to start Beauty College in September. We're hoping to settle just outside of Brisbane and were hoping that she could study beauty over there as well. Where are you looking to settle?

Ali
Hiya,

we came over in JAN 06 with my daughter finishing her GCSE in Aug05.
She started her A-levels IN uk (Sep05) and then started again over her in Feb06 in Yr 11. This means she has 2 years to do for her HSC. Most kids stay on until their 18 to complete the HSC. Although the TAFE (COLLEGES) do run course from 16yrs I think

Annie
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:47 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the same boat
My son was 16 last week and is about to sit his GCSE's.
We are hoping to be on the Gold Coast at the end of August. He will go into the last 3 months of Year 11 there and then do Year 12.

My eldest daughter will be 17 in May and is about to sit her A Levels. She would have gone into the last 3 months of Year 12 there but I've managed to get her on the waitlist for TAFE to do hairdressing or travel. She hasn't decided which yet

My youngest daughter is 14, about to sit her SATS and will go into the last 3 months of Year 9 there.

Julie. x