Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

150 points?????????dimia

150 points?????????dimia

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light
Default 150 points?????????dimia

Hello Everyone
I received an email from my aunt who is melbourne today and she sent me an email of which i have cut and paste below. The information she has written is very concerning and I wondered if it could be true or not?

"Mick saw in the paper that the immigration dept are going to increase the number of points required to 150. next April. They are only going to accept the most highly skilled ".

I am going to ask them what newspaper and where but could there be any truth in this?

I hope I dont get shot down in flames for posting this but thought that it might be of interest.
Irene
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 3:59 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Irene,
I'm sure you won't get shot down in flames for posting... where would we be without any warning? Exactly where a lot of us are now. If we'd had some warning of the recent points rise we would not be in the situation we are in now. Unable to get all our forms in by 14th April we are now grovelling to all and sundry to try and get STNI rather than 136 Ind.
It would be nice to find out exactly where this info came from. Thanks
Sarah
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 5:26 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

while I havent seen this myself-and believe me I am following anything related to points and Dimia- it sounds similar to what NZ has done recently

will do a few google searchs and see if anything shows up
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds to me more like a bit of propaganda, appeasing the aussies who don't want the influx of immigrants.

National paper mentioning that the points system is to go sky high - only the very highly skilled are to get a visa etc..... maybe its to make the aussies feel like they aren't going to be invaded by all and sundry...

and lets face it...who can blame them...not me....maybe they're learning all the time from the mistakes which have been made in the U.K....

Good for them.
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:04 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by steandleigh
Sounds to me more like a bit of propaganda, appeasing the aussies who don't want the influx of immigrants.

National paper mentioning that the points system is to go sky high - only the very highly skilled are to get a visa etc..... maybe its to make the aussies feel like they aren't going to be invaded by all and sundry...

and lets face it...who can blame them...not me....maybe they're learning all the time from the mistakes which have been made in the U.K....

Good for them.
Ummm......agree with steandleigh on this one

Re all the talk re "highly skilled"people and increase in points......as stanandleigh says.........maybe this is rumour deliberatly started to refute panic in Oz re influx in migrants

It might be useful to know the source of the info [can then check out its credibility]. Or take a look at DIMIA site. or write to head of migration via DIMIA site and ask the question outright?

Hope this helps

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 23rd 2004, 10:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 150 points?????????dimia

They've already increased the points to 120. It would be unusual for them to change the points again so soon.

Anything is possible in terms of points. However, those of us in the industry feel that numbers of migrants will drop significantly from about mid 2005 if the pass mark stays at 120 (the next year will be filled by applications already in the system).

This is because there is a significant drop-off of eligibility at 120 vs 115.

One of the problems with the system currently is an over-supply of Australian graduates qualifying for PR. The irony is that many of these are unemployable, despite possessing degrees from Australian universities.

The 120 pass mark is also intended to exclude many students from getting PR.

One thing to watch out for is whether DIMIA decide to keep the pass mark at 120 but put more concessions into the points test. Especially on spouse skills and Australian skilled work experience - points for these may increase. Watch the DIMIA site.

A difference between the current Minister and her predecessor (Mr Ruddock) is that announcements don't come in a 'big-bang' but rather get released in stages.

New Zealand had different problems in its system, especially the lack of a skill assessment system like Australia's.

Jeremy

Originally posted by parkhigh
Hello Everyone
I received an email from my aunt who is melbourne today and she sent me an email of which i have cut and paste below. The information she has written is very concerning and I wondered if it could be true or not?

"Mick saw in the paper that the immigration dept are going to increase the number of points required to 150. next April. They are only going to accept the most highly skilled ".

I am going to ask them what newspaper and where but could there be any truth in this?

I hope I dont get shot down in flames for posting this but thought that it might be of interest.
Irene
Old Apr 25th 2004, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all
havent heard from my relatives as they are away for a few days but will let you know when I hear.
Irene
Old Apr 25th 2004, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all
This is the latest from my aunt today....

Dear Irene I have Written to the Herald Sun to try and get more info on that article. Mick said the 150 points will only apply to people who apply after April 2005, so it won`t affect anyone who has already applied

I have asked her for page nbr and date of article....hope this helps.
Irene
Old Apr 25th 2004, 2:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That is definitely not a report of any announcement from DIMIA!

They have said the new 120 pass mark will apply for students from 1 April 2005.

*Nothing* has been said or even hinted about a 150 pass mark.

The general point I would make to people is that DIMIA rules and your personal circumstances can always change, so if you want to apply and are eligible, then get on with it ...

I don't think posting rumours like this is very constructive, well-intentioned though it might be.

Jeremy

Hi all
This is the latest from my aunt today....

Dear Irene I have Written to the Herald Sun to try and get more info on that article. Mick said the 150 points will only apply to people who apply after April 2005, so it won`t affect anyone who has already applied

I have asked her for page nbr and date of article....hope this helps.
Irene
Old Apr 25th 2004, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jaj

Point taken I definitely wasnt intending to upset anyone. my first post did state that however I take on board comments from other posters that it may be intended to alleviate concerns about influx of migrants.

i was only really interested in this as my brother is intending to apply next year and this would have an impact on his application.

My aunt and uncle have stated that there appears to be alot of concern about growing nbrs etc and now with regional visa being introduced that it has increased the concern about nbr of migrants.

Irene
Old Apr 25th 2004, 5:20 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jaj

Point taken I definitely wasnt intending to upset anyone. my first post did state that however I take on board comments from other posters that it may be intended to alleviate concerns about influx of migrants.

i was only really interested in this as my brother is intending to apply next year and this would have an impact on his application.

My aunt and uncle have stated that there appears to be alot of concern about growing nbrs etc and now with regional visa being introduced that it has increased the concern about nbr of migrants.

Irene
No worries. But Australia needs big numbers of new immigrants to carry on developing the economy so fast. Politicians know that and recognise they get re-elected on the performance of Aus's economy above all else.

Look at America. How many people know its population has increased by 25% since 1980? A huge (the key) factor behind its economic progress is its population growth of the productive type.

Same is very true of Australia. Expect an official population of 22 million (more like 25 million) by 2010.
Old Apr 25th 2004, 10:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

Migration is a very 'political' issue in Australia. But there is a recognition that migration benefits Australia (the question still concerns the selection criteria and the destination in Australia).

There is a debate about to what extent migrants should be directed to regional areas. There's more froth than substance to this.

To begin with, regional areas don't have the job markets to absorb large numbers of migrants. Even if they had, much of 'regional' Australia doesn't have the water resources to support a major population increase. The exceptions are Tasmania and the north of Australia.

The Labor party would ideally like 45% of migrants to settle in 'regional' areas. This target is completely unrealistic.

DIMIA have now got a situation where they will likely not be able to meet their planned numbers for the 2005/06 year unless they give some extra concessions in the points test to help people get to 120. They've already said something to help doctors is in the pipeline, maybe there's more planned.

Jeremy

Hi Jaj

Irene
Old Apr 25th 2004, 10:53 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sydney forgot to put in the infrastructure needed for these migrants and is trying to force the migration elsewhere. Brisbane is already attracting plenty of Australians and I wonder when they will realise that a lot of money is needed for the infrastructure.

Sydney has now recognised some of the issues as now wants to tax land sellers (about $50,000 a block) to pay for the new infrastructure. These are sellers of land that has been rezoned to residential use and whose land has rocketed in value because of the re-zoning.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...831436814.html

Australia's population centre is following the sun ever northwards as the pendulum swings from Victoria - once the nation's most populous state - to Queensland.

But NSW is not immune to the impact of thousands of itchy feet.

Contrary to perceptions it is NSW, rather than Victoria, that suffered the biggest outflow of population in the five years to 2001, with a net migration of 66,500 people, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics figures. Queensland picked up more than 90,000 and Victoria broke even.

In those five years, more than 40 per cent of Australians moved house. Most stayed in the same state, but more than 750,000 people moved interstate.

Marrickville (second) and Canterbury (fifth) were among the local government areas suffering the largest population declines, while Brisbane and the Gold Coast grew fastest.