Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

136 Visa - Eligible to buy property

136 Visa - Eligible to buy property

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:40 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice
Default 136 Visa - Eligible to buy property

Hi all,

My wife is getting spooked by "clever" relations winding her up by claiming that you can't buy property in Oz for two years after you've landed.

I don't think this is true, but the official "obligations" from the DIMIA website are a bit ambiguous:

"There are no conditions placed on this visa. This means that you are able to live and work in any part of Australia and engage in any type of employment. You and your accompanying family members must however comply with Australian laws."

http://www.dimia.gov.au/skilled/gene...bligations.htm

Are we allowed to buy property straight away (if we get the visa; touch wood)?

TIA,

Urno.

Last edited by Urno; Mar 3rd 2007 at 4:41 pm. Reason: Forgot to stick in the link
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:19 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 136 Visa - Eligible to buy property

Originally Posted by Urno
Hi all,

My wife is getting spooked by "clever" relations winding her up by claiming that you can't buy property in Oz for two years after you've landed.

I don't think this is true, but the official "obligations" from the DIMIA website are a bit ambiguous:

"There are no conditions placed on this visa. This means that you are able to live and work in any part of Australia and engage in any type of employment. You and your accompanying family members must however comply with Australian laws."

http://www.dimia.gov.au/skilled/gene...bligations.htm

Are we allowed to buy property straight away (if we get the visa; touch wood)?

TIA,

Urno.
Yes you can on a 136 visa. The temp visas are little different where you need to get approval first (usually a formality I think).

We also have a 136 visa, so tell your family to relax, you can buy whatever property you like. I'm sure australian laws would allow it's people to buy property
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Urno
Hi all,

Not true for permanent visa holders. FIRB website has the rules:
http://www.firb.gov.au

A general observation is that just because Australian tax, real-estate, healthcare, welfare, immigration or citizenship information comes from an "Australian" doesn't necessarily mean it is correct.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 6:14 pm
Oxford - SEQ August 07

Urno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really niceUrno is just really nice

Chuffty!

Thanks for the replies!

Urno.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 10:19 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A general observation is that just because Australian tax, real-estate, healthcare, welfare, immigration or citizenship information comes from an "Australian" doesn't necessarily mean it is correct.
So true. I never seek the advice or listen to opinions of locals. There is some much bullshit, vested interests, lies etc out there.