Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

136 permanent residency visa and schools info

136 permanent residency visa and schools info

Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

allibongo will become famous soon enough
Default 136 permanent residency visa and schools info

We are moving to Australia in Jan 2013, 1 month before our visa expires!!. We have had our visa for 5 years we validated it in 2008. Due to the current global financial crisis we have had a lot of issues, which have taken us a long time to sort out. We have also had another baby so are in the process of waiting for his visa to be granted.
We are really on the last minute, and I am a little worried about the fact that we have not spent 2 years of the 5 residing in Oz, however am I correct in thinking that as long as we spend the next 2 years in Aus we can get a Resident return visa with no hassle and also apply for citizenship.
Can anyone advise please??
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 136 permanent residency visa

Originally Posted by allibongo
We are moving to Australia in Jan 2013, 1 month before our visa expires!!. We have had our visa for 5 years we validated it in 2008. Due to the current global financial crisis we have had a lot of issues, which have taken us a long time to sort out. We have also had another baby so are in the process of waiting for his visa to be granted.
We are really on the last minute, and I am a little worried about the fact that we have not spent 2 years of the 5 residing in Oz, however am I correct in thinking that as long as we spend the next 2 years in Aus we can get a Resident return visa with no hassle and also apply for citizenship.
Can anyone advise please??
As long as you establish ties to the country - somewhere to live, kids in school, jobs etc, then you should be able to at least get a short term RRV if you need one without having the 2 out of 5 years residence.
Citizenship will require 4 years residence.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As long as you establish ties to the country - somewhere to live, kids in school, jobs etc, then you should be able to at least get a short term RRV if you need one without having the 2 out of 5 years residence.
Citizenship will require 4 years residence.
Thanks for that. Do you know where I can get advice on schools in Oz. My oldest daughter is 16 and has just done her GCSE exams and left school here in the uk. We are debating whether she is better staying here in the uk to go to college to do A levels or whether she is better coming out with us, we have been told her exam results wont count for much in Australia and she will need to sit more which is concerning as obviously curriculums will be so different.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 2:37 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54 - thats the main Aussie forum, lots in there on schools and I think this has come up before. I've got no kids, so can't help I'm afraid!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.myschool.edu.au/. Is a good start.

You can also,access the education department pages for each state/territory online depending on where you are planning to live. Also, don't forget the school year here starts in Jan/Feb so you'll need to hit the ground running if you haven't got it sorted before you get here x

Last edited by Jilliebee; Aug 15th 2012 at 11:17 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 6:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If your daughter is willing, she can go back to school for grades 11 and 12 which will enable her to get to Uni if she wants. She can go to TAFE from grade 10, equal to end of GCSEs but for the social aspect she'd really be better off going to school. She would be a little bit older than others in her year but wouldn't be the only one and it wouldn't be by that much, they are not so hung up on school year/student age here.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Neville Bartos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If your daughter is willing, she can go back to school for grades 11 and 12 which will enable her to get to Uni if she wants. She can go to TAFE from grade 10, equal to end of GCSEs but for the social aspect she'd really be better off going to school. She would be a little bit older than others in her year but wouldn't be the only one and it wouldn't be by that much, they are not so hung up on school year/student age here.
What age are pupils in 11-12 grade and is 12 grade the equivalent to 6th form. Thanks in advance
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:20 pm
Home and Happy

Thread moved to the main forum - very few people in the Immi forum have knowledge of schools as mostly they aren't here yet
Old Aug 16th 2012, 11:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neville Bartos
What age are pupils in 11-12 grade and is 12 grade the equivalent to 6th form. Thanks in advance
Grade 11 is 15/16 However depending where the student comes from/goes to being 16/17 wouldn't be an issue. 11/12 are, very simply put, the equivalent. The final qualification will depend on what State/Territory you're going to.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Traceykin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 136 permanent residency visa and schools info

Originally Posted by allibongo
We are moving to Australia in Jan 2013, 1 month before our visa expires!!. We have had our visa for 5 years we validated it in 2008.

My oldest daughter is 16 and has just done her GCSE exams and left school here in the uk.
Not much to offer but I cant believe it when I read your post. We have our flights booked Oct 12 with visa expires Feb 13 and a 16 yr old just done her GCSE's, our daughter is looking forward to a life in Oz. We are spending 1 month near the quarantine place and then once collected the 2 dogs driving upto to sunshine coast where we are renting holiday place for 5 weeks and hoping to find permanent rent in that time.
I emailed TAFE that daughter wants to go to and they replied she can apply for her course in December (with everyone else) and course starts in Feb.
Where are you moving moving to?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: 136 permanent residency visa and schools info

Originally Posted by Traceykin
Not much to offer but I cant believe it when I read your post. We have our flights booked Oct 12 with visa expires Feb 13 and a 16 yr old just done her GCSE's, our daughter is looking forward to a life in Oz. We are spending 1 month near the quarantine place and then once collected the 2 dogs driving upto to sunshine coast where we are renting holiday place for 5 weeks and hoping to find permanent rent in that time.
I emailed TAFE that daughter wants to go to and they replied she can apply for her course in December (with everyone else) and course starts in Feb.
Where are you moving moving to?
we are going to brisbane what about you?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Traceykin is an unknown quantity at this point

How about that then, we are going just of of Brisbane (Sunshine Coast) Mountain Creek area, incidentally we also have a 136 visa.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Traceykin
How about that then, we are going just of of Brisbane (Sunshine Coast) Mountain Creek area, incidentally we also have a 136 visa.
oh how weird we are sunshine coast bound too xx looking at mountain creek also. My friend lives in mooloolaba. I hae applied for a job in Nambour, I have a job in the city but I would rather get one on the coast. However if i cant we will go to the city and move up to the coast when we can. There are 5 of us moving me, my husband andy daughter georgia(16) joseph (12) and Samuel (3) we didnt have sam when we got our visa so we are waiting for his visa to be granted which hopefully should be november. nothing like being on the last minute is there!!