Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

120 hours of driving restrictions in different states

120 hours of driving restrictions in different states

Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough
Default 120 hours of driving restrictions in different states

As a L driver who received the license recently, exemptions from the 120 hours of driving:

VIC: exempted if 21 years or older
NSW: not exempted??????
QLD: exempted if 25 years or older (100 hours)

Am I right about NSW?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:37 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 120 hours of driving restrictions in different states

Originally Posted by the_gripmaster
As a L driver who received the license recently, exemptions from the 120 hours of driving:

VIC: exempted if 21 years or older
NSW: not exempted??????
QLD: exempted if 25 years or older (100 hours)

Am I right about NSW?
NSW 120, teaching my 16 yr old now, 20 have to be at night also
Old Nov 7th 2009, 10:59 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
NSW 120, teaching my 16 yr old now, 20 have to be at night also
I think he may be asking whether there's an exemption for older learners.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

the_gripmaster will become famous soon enoughthe_gripmaster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I think he may be asking whether there's an exemption for older learners.
Yes, I want to know if the 120 hours of driving requirement is exempted for older L (over 25) Drivers in NSW.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, I want to know if the 120 hours of driving requirement is exempted for older L (over 25) Drivers in NSW.
No you are not exempted. However, there is no minimum period for holding your L licence if you are over 25. You can technically complete the 120 in 3 months and be allowed to take the test. For everyone else they have to wait at least 6 months.

Dont do the whole 120 hours, nobody does and if you dont have someone to teach you for free then you will spend as much on lessons as you would on a second hand car. I say do 50 hours instead.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Im in WA, and wanting to learn to drive. Do over 25s have to wait 6 months before being able to drive alone in WA?

As think this is bonkers. Can understand the 17 year old boy racers being limited but not the over 25s.

Gems
Old Nov 8th 2009, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Dont do the whole 120 hours, nobody does and if you dont have someone to teach you for free then you will spend as much on lessons as you would on a second hand car. I say do 50 hours instead.
You would then also be falsifying records and asking someone else to put their signature and licence number on your false records. Rounding 50 minutes up to an hour is one thing, doing 50 hours and writing down you did 120 is another.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
No you are not exempted. However, there is no minimum period for holding your L licence if you are over 25. You can technically complete the 120 in 3 months and be allowed to take the test. For everyone else they have to wait at least 6 months.

It is better to get the P license from VIC or QLD then. I don't have 120 hours.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It is better to get the P license from VIC or QLD then. I don't have 120 hours.
You have to live in the relevant state/territory.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gems
Im in WA, and wanting to learn to drive. Do over 25s have to wait 6 months before being able to drive alone in WA?

As think this is bonkers. Can understand the 17 year old boy racers being limited but not the over 25s.

Gems
Hi Gems, you take the theory (as you probably know in Wa) at the test centre, then your driving lessons, your test, 120 hrs of supervised driving (I think, it used to be 60) then a hazard test (on the computer at the test centre) eye test then on P plates for 2 years. Best wishes ss
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Hi Gems, you take the theory (as you probably know in Wa) at the test centre, then your driving lessons, your test, 120 hrs of supervised driving (I think, it used to be 60) then a hazard test (on the computer at the test centre) eye test then on P plates for 2 years. Best wishes ss
Wow didnt realise you have to do all that to get a driving license!! And still I have found some of the worst drivers in the world in NSW. Tailgating all the way around Sydney, moms in 4x4s kerbing the cars, taxis swerving all over the round and stopping in the most stupid of places!!
I took my test and passed after 10 hours of lessons in the UK and I dont drive like these maniacs. What is with all these 4x4's around a city?? And what ever happened to roundabouts???
Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siamsusie
Thanks for the input, looks like I will have to do the stupid 120hrs supervised driving.
Its a whole lot of things to do, to pass your test
But living rural and not driving is awful.

Gems
Old Nov 9th 2009, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

siamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nicesiamsusie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gems
Thanks for the input, looks like I will have to do the stupid 120hrs supervised driving.
Its a whole lot of things to do, to pass your test
But living rural and not driving is awful.

Gems
Gems, I have always been a motorbiker in all weathers in europe, cars never interested me lol, coming to WA (north) its a tad warm for m/bikes so I did my test here, (60 hrs of supervised driving) which isnt too bad in rural WA, empty roads, trips like to Coral Bay, Exmouth didnt take long I think I did most of my 60 hrs in a month. The pain was the P plate, the 4 x 4's werent exceptionally kind to the P platers, I quickly swopped my licence over in Tasmania coz its only 1 yr there!
Go for it, the freedom is amazing, another bow in your cap..best wishes ss x