Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

12 weeks for shipping???

12 weeks for shipping???

Old Sep 17th 2008, 6:55 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 12 weeks for shipping???

Our stuff was collected on 29th July and is due to arrive Sydney on the 20th Sept. We have been told it could be another 4 wks before we get it after that. It then has to come on a ship to Brisbane and then they say 15days through customs.

Jo
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:16 am
Just Joined

spanky is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told 10 weeks and it was actually more than 12 weeks, and of course I had loads of damaged things as one crate box was broken
Old Sep 17th 2008, 7:49 am
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

This is interesting... I need my stuff to be in Perth during the first 3 weeks of January. Then I am moving on, so i need to get it during that time.

Just sending a few boxes, but I think I will email my shippers just in case. Maybe send in Nov? Arg.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

So if we get our stuff shipped/packed on 14-15 Oct, we wanted it for christmas....do you think its poss...using either Pss or Whites can't decide...are any quicker/ better than other.

Bit stressed really, we had someone offer of rental last week agreeing detail today, so have 3 1/2 weeks to pack, sort everything out, find holiday rental...basically we have done nothing so got to sort everything out looking to fly 9th Nov I feel sick, not only with all to do but it is real and everyone getting sad, don't think they really beleived we would go
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

We used Crown as well and our stuff was shipped in June, no where near christmas still took 16 weeks. I guess we must have drew the short straw.
Old Sep 17th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We used John Masons and, like everyone else, were in a hurry so they suggested a quicker boat that didn't stop at so many ports and didn't cost us very much extra (relatively) - I think it was about 80GBP but can't remember exactly.

Might be worth asking?
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Time it takes can depend on if you have a shared container or one for yourself. If shared I guess they wait to get others to make up a full container.
Quoted 8-10 weeks sole, 10-12 weeks for a shared.

Also with Robinsons (not sure about others), they seem to have a ship going to Melbourne once a month. We were in Bristol, not sure if that makes a difference, as I think it all goes to London. We were told that we just missed a ship and then had to wait 3 weeks for the next.

So packed 16 July, told it has just docked on 16th Sep. Estimate is delivery on Oct 3rd. So seems about right (if all foes well!).

I think you need an address in Oz and flight details for the customs form, so not sure if they check against shipping dates. If you are not there can't you have them store it. We were told we could have 2 weeks for free (after customs cleared), or pay to keep it stored with them for longer.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:44 am
FiP
Forum Regular

FiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really niceFiP is just really nice

We used PPS for 20ft conatiner UK to Adelaide and couldn't fault them, 8 weeks door to door, nothing lost, UK packing crew so good we requested them for my sisters move to Perth last year.

The company they used this side in Perth was not good, delivery guys turned up with stuff strapped to the outside of the van, dropped and broke things on the driveway, we also had a rug which looked like it had been left in their yard and driven over (you could see they tyre marks), stuff missing AND we had to hassle them to get a deilvery date from them. It took around 11 weeks door to door.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

I've learnt it is pot luck mostly.

Sole container will get their quicker - always, unless you get very lucky.

It depends on when the company you use pack the container, and take it to the port and how quickly it is processed to go on the next shipment. Most seem to have one ship a week - and if you just miss one, it could be another week before it leaves.

The main agents have ships going directly to Aus - often Perth then around, and any that stop off in Singapore for example, will be cheaper, but longer.

We're getting quotes for our house now. One yesterday (no price as yet) for a 5 bed detached to Melbourne, and he said we'd too much stuff for a standard 40ft container and we'd get it in a 40ft high tower - basically, same footprint but taller. Costs is a few hundred more but just down to the packing, since the footprint on the boat is the same.

More quotes coming in the next week, but we're now looking at moving to QLD (we have a house in Wonga Beach already) and staying their for a few years while I set up a new business...

Andy
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

my container is going on Tuesday and the earliest it will be in Melbourne is the 15th November plus inspection and delivery- I reckon I'll be very lucky to have my stuff early December.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

While you guys are on the subject of shipping, we've narrowed it down to two shippers for our stuff in the next couple of weeks, Doree Bonner and Pickfords.
We've just had a letter in from Pickfords (Australia) saying that they can't do a delivery from quarantine to our address even though Pickfords (UK) say they will do a door to door delivery. Have any of you that have used Pickfords came across this anomoly?

And any of you have any experiences you'd like to share about those companies? Good? Bad?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roamer25
This is interesting... I need my stuff to be in Perth during the first 3 weeks of January. Then I am moving on, so i need to get it during that time.

Just sending a few boxes, but I think I will email my shippers just in case. Maybe send in Nov? Arg.
Hi

Am arriving same time as you as and also part of DET group for Jan. Recognised the name from thread a few weeks ago.

We have organised shipping with Dorree Bonner ( Grace in WA ) and they reckon 8 -14 weeks. Have arranged pick up end Oct but am able to provide WA contact in case it arrives early

Nicki
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

shark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant futureshark bait has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Samleeuk;6791579]So if we get our stuff shipped/packed on 14-15 Oct, we wanted it for christmas....do you think its poss...using either Pss or Whites can't decide...are any quicker/ better than other.

booked our shipping today with white & co , its going on the 14th oct, arrives late nov.
If it arrives for xmas it would be great but maybe not
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:43 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lekkilizard
Hi

Am arriving same time as you as and also part of DET group for Jan. Recognised the name from thread a few weeks ago.

We have organised shipping with Dorree Bonner ( Grace in WA ) and they reckon 8 -14 weeks. Have arranged pick up end Oct but am able to provide WA contact in case it arrives early

Nicki
Hey Nicki *waves*
Nice to speak to a fellow DET 09'er.

Mine are saying there's no delay. I'm only bringing a few boxes, maybe 10 at most, so perhaps it's with crates? I'm going totally low budget and getting a door to port service, so I'll need to hire a car and get the stuff to the DET transport/shipping hub myself. Not a problem cos I'd be hiring a car to see things for a couple of days anyway. And, so long as the timing's right...

How much are you shipping over?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

booked our shipping today with white & co , its going on the 14th oct, arrives late nov.
If it arrives for xmas it would be great but maybe not [/QUOTE]

HiSpoke to Whites today, pencilled in for 13/ 14 Oct packing, same thing, just hope and pray we get stuff for Christmas....may start sleeping on the floor to harden up just i case

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.