Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

110volts lcd tv to australia??

110volts lcd tv to australia??

Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all
Default 110volts lcd tv to australia??

hello, can anyone tell me if its possible to get your 110volt electrical equipment working in Oz??

i am currently in canada and have some new stuff which i would love to ship over, but can it work in Oz???

cheers, grant
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:30 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110volts lcd tv to australia??

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
hello, can anyone tell me if its possible to get your 110volt electrical equipment working in Oz??

i am currently in canada and have some new stuff which i would love to ship over, but can it work in Oz???

cheers, grant
Some equipment, mainly electronic equipment - probably including your TV, can work on 110v and 240v. Other stuff cannot. On the back of your TV there should be a stick or inscription stating what voltage it can run on.

I'm assuming that Canada used the NTSC system - same as US. Australia uses the PAL system. Some modern TVs may be able to handle both. Have a look at the manual or manufacturer's website.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:39 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree. Double check the back of your tv and see what voltage it says. If it says 110-240V and 50-60Hz then power wise it will work.

The next hurdle is the video system. If your tv only operates on NTSC (as they do in Canada) then it won't be able to accept the PAL video they have here. This won't be a problem if you are only hooking it up to a canadian dvd or vcr. But if you want to hook it up to cable and your tv doesn't have PAL then your video won't work.

Your best bet is to make a list of all the electrical items you want to bring and then go around the house and write get the specifics of the cord or block. Then you'll know what you can bring or can't bring.

Before we left Canada I went around the house and did my list.

These things WOULD NOT work in Oz:
-any of the kitchen appliances
-misc items like alarm clocks, lamps, etc.
-vcr
-dvd
-power tools

These things WOULD work in Oz:
-my desktop computer
-laptop computer
-digital camera
-video camera
-printer

I can't quite remember about the tv but I'm pretty sure that there was something with it that wouldn't work, either the power or the video.

In the end it didn't really matter because we left everything with relatives and sold a bunch of things. We ended up just bringing clothes, laptop, digital camera and all of our dvds.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:40 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Where are headed and when are you coming? Are you coming permanently or just for a couple of years?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

heading to adelaide and could be there before the year is out. long term plan.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:04 am
Canuck/Aussie

If you have any questions about Adelaide ask a user named Dorothy. She moved from Canada to Adelaide in 2006 I think. She lived in Adelaide for about a year or so before moving to Perth (for job reasons).
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the help. i think i will sell all the electrics and buy new ones over there. much less hassle!!!

cheers
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:06 am
Canuck/Aussie

Here she is:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/member.php?u=47522
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:07 am
Canuck/Aussie

Be prepared for tv's to be a bit more expensive here. When we left Canada LCD's were cheaper than the plasma's but here it's the LCD's that are more expensive.

If you tell me what size & type of tv you want I can give you a few prices for comparison the next time I get a flyer in the mail.