Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

110v power tools in WA

110v power tools in WA

Old Jun 5th 2005, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default 110v power tools in WA

Hello all,

I know each state is different but my Question here is for WA only.Would it be worth bringing my 110v power tools,transformer splitter etc.The reason i ask is two chippys i know in perth gave me different answers but neither of them were sure.As i,m a house basher in the UK i would prefer to stay on the site work in Aus would this make any difference from say private work.

Any help clearing this up would be great.
dave
Old Jun 5th 2005, 10:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110v power tools in WA

Its not quite the same but i bought my "trade" stuff with me and it all works fine. I am sitting here like this thinking of some smart alec comment re my hydrolic couch and electrolysis lamp and machine against your power tools but it just won't gel
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:06 am
Happy, happy Visa holders

Location: Back in Huddersfield, after fantastic time in Gold Coast
And&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura about

HI Dave
I'm a house basher my self off to Brisbane all my tools are 110 and not cheap
being a chippy i have been told that 110 are no good on sites in oz thay use 240 on site cant understand why if you get any more info would love to know
cheers And.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hello all,

I know each state is different but my Question here is for WA only.Would it be worth bringing my 110v power tools,transformer splitter etc.The reason i ask is two chippys i know in perth gave me different answers but neither of them were sure.As i,m a house basher in the UK i would prefer to stay on the site work in Aus would this make any difference from say private work.

Any help clearing this up would be great.
dave
The only assistance I can give was that one of my next door neighbours returned from a 3 year posting to the US and brought back all the power tools he bought (really cheap) over there.

He used the usual stuff to convert from 110VAC to 240VAC and he said the only trouble he encountered was his equipment used to run fairly hot (although in a Canberra Winter, that really isn't a problem :-). The reason he gave was that here we run 240VAC/50Cycle and in the US it is 110VAC/60cycle.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:36 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by And&Mez
HI Dave
I'm a house basher my self off to Brisbane all my tools are 110 and not cheap
being a chippy i have been told that 110 are no good on sites in oz thay use 240 on site cant understand why if you get any more info would love to know
cheers And.
Correct all site tools here are 240Volt and must be tested every 3 months with relavent test certificates etc ready for inspection.

So 110 V will not be a lot of use

Paul J
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:32 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Correct all site tools here are 240Volt and must be tested every 3 months with relavent test certificates etc ready for inspection.

So 110 V will not be a lot of use

Paul J

Thats it, you wont get tickets on unions sites for your tools.... but then again i wouldnt go to a union site.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 1:48 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: power tools in WA

I thought this thread was about something else...............
Old Jun 5th 2005, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Thanks everyone it looks like i,ll have to sell them before i go.The other thing i,ve thought about is my generator,it,s fairly new is it worth bringing that as in can omit 240v are they allowed on site.

dave
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:15 am
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

The sites i've worked on are all 240v .......and any electrical equipment has to be tagged.....
I would only bring them over for your own private use ..... around the house , that kind of thing......
Old Jun 6th 2005, 4:07 pm
Happy, happy Visa holders

Location: Back in Huddersfield, after fantastic time in Gold Coast
And&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura aboutAnd&Mez has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: 110v power tools in WA

looks like a job for e bay for all my 110 tools unless there are any chippys comeing back from oz want to be tooled up does your cordless stuff need to be taged and whats money like on sites out there
any feed back would be appreciated
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by And&Mez
looks like a job for e bay for all my 110 tools unless there are any chippys comeing back from oz want to be tooled up does your cordless stuff need to be taged and whats money like on sites out there
any feed back would be appreciated

The cordlesses are fine but you have to have the chargers tagged (queensland anyway).

dave
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

john mcshane is an unknown quantity at this point

[Alright folks jake the chippy here my mate in wa who is a chippy says the same no 110 tools on sites only ok for home, what my mate hasnt told me arecordless paslode framing and finishing guns ok in oz i know they have paslodes but are they the same spec. ps what side of joinery r all you chippies hoping to do out in wa as i do timber frame in scotland and there isnt that much of that in wa compared with eastern states, i am looking into roof carpentry but will need a buddy any one intrested
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:13 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john mcshane
[Alright folks jake the chippy here my mate in wa who is a chippy says the same no 110 tools on sites only ok for home, what my mate hasnt told me arecordless paslode framing and finishing guns ok in oz i know they have paslodes but are they the same spec. ps what side of joinery r all you chippies hoping to do out in wa as i do timber frame in scotland and there isnt that much of that in wa compared with eastern states, i am looking into roof carpentry but will need a buddy any one intrested
Yes you can buy Plaslodes here they are a bit cheaper than when I left the U.K., word of warning depending on who you use to ship your gear they may not allow you to take the little gas cartridges, don't tell them if you don't have to.
No you shouldn't bother bringing 110v tools you cannot get them tagged I've tried loads of sparkies and they just will not test them if they're 110v. I posted why once in the words of a sparkie, but can't find the post this morning. A sparkie mate of ours is going for his licence [qld] and is going to raise the issue with the people testing him at least then we'll have a definitive answer as to why. I brought all mine and they're filling a corner of the garage collecting dust.
Site work is the same here as U.K good banter between the trades and disorganised chaos. If you've survived on a U.K site you'll survive here, you'll just be a bit warmer and require a large water eskie. Blue cards become mandatory for all site work at the end of the year. Testing and tagging of tools is being looked at by the inspectors in a big way there are 20 new ones covering an area from Bundaberg down to Tweed Heads we've had 3 visits in 18 months and expect that to double now with the new "site police" they are proper little stazies one wrote up our principle cont. up for not having a toilet on the job the other day there was a site dunnie between the 2 houses we're tiling but not one on each site very pedantic
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

happylad will become famous soon enoughhappylad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by john mcshane

Oh dear, looks like i'm gonna have to sell all my 110v stuff then. When I get over i'll take what work I can get, but would choose to timber framing or roofing as there seems to be alot of roofing jobs going on in WA. Still, it's a long way off!!!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happylad
Oh dear, looks like i'm gonna have to sell all my 110v stuff then. When I get over i'll take what work I can get, but would choose to timber framing or roofing as there seems to be alot of roofing jobs going on in WA. Still, it's a long way off!!!

Your right loads of roofing but not much timber framing due to termite worries.Occasionally you will get some second stories of houses done in timber framing.Hopefully more house builders will get into that,i hope so that,s what i do here at the mo and it will increase the amount of work for us lads.

dave